Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS F-120 info wanted

Old 02-05-2009, 12:18 PM
R Verbael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS F-120 info wanted

I just bought a used YS F-120 and installed it in a 4 Star 120. It runs very rich at the idle/low end and seems lean at the high end of the rpm range. I have no instructions or operators paperword. Can someone outline the procedure for setting the mixtures?? This engine has no needle valve for the idle. First time I have seen this.

Any help would be appreciated. [email protected]

Russ Verbael
(406) 781-7233
Old 02-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: YS F-120 info wanted

Russ,
You must have one of the early 120's. Basically there are two adjustments for this motor. The High speed needle and the regulator. To me it sounds as if the regulator is a little rich and your high end needle is lean.

Here is how I would approach the situation. Lean the regulator (brass colored screw on bottom of crank case) by turning in a little bit at a time. Please note that the regulator has an effect on all settings to now you will be even leaner on the top end so PLEASE make sure to open the high speed needle up at the same time. Once you have the low to mid range right/close you should be able to transition to full throttle. At full throttle you can then adjust the high speed needle and then you are able to go back and fine tune the mid to low range via the regulator. Since you have your email address attached I'll send you some instructions shortly.
Jimmy Skids
Old 02-05-2009, 01:30 PM
dmccormick001

I'd suggest you start [link=http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/glowpower/ys_main.htm]here[/link] for some basic understanding of the way a YS engine works. You have an engine that utilizes a pressurized fuel system, so tuning it and maintaining it will probably be different from any other engine you've ever owned. The link above will help you understand how it all works, especially the part near the bottom concerning tuning. If you don't already have it, you'll need a YS check valve too, make sure it's a YS brand, the other types on the market won't work. Tuning one is a little tricky, there are several threads on this forum about the correct way to do it, try [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7667874]this link[/link] to a post on another thread about tuning a YS. It might help you out some.

David
Old 02-05-2009, 11:57 PM
R Verbael

[

Thanx guys for the input. I will put your suggestions to use in the next day or so.

Russ V.

Pic is my clipped wing 4 Star 120 with flaps.]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53710.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1128522  
Old 02-06-2009, 06:23 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Russ,

Change the prop, use an APC 16x8 or 15x8, the Master A. will make more RPM and noise than thrust on a YS 120.

Regards
Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running an APC 16x8 on my YS120/CMP Hellcat - couldn't be happier with it.