Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 63s regulator pink buildup

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Gatorb8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 63s regulator pink buildup

I have had a ys-63 for a year now and it ran like a sewing machine! the other day it would not start. After checking the fuel, glo plug, throttle, glo starter with no luck I fully unscrewed the regulator adj screw and then put it back where it was. It started right up and worked great that day. Next time at the field it did the same thing, got it going by exercising the regulator adj screw, repeat this again the next day at the field.

I took apart the regulator today looking for dirt or foreign material, notta, it looked free of debris. I did notice there was a lot of pink buildup on the plunger and the diaphragm was a little scuffed on the plunger side. Could the pink buildup be causing the plunger to stick? Anythink else I should look for?
thanks
Gator
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: YS 63s regulator pink buildup

If you have anything building up on the plunger it could cause it to stick. Can you clean the pink stuff off and see if it clears up the issue?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: petec

If you have anything building up on the plunger it could cause it to stick. Can you clean the pink stuff off and see if it clears up the issue?
I cleaned the pink stuf off everything and sprayed all parts with carb cleaner. It started right up and I retuned.
I'll wait a few days and see what happens at the field. If that clears it up I think I'll install a new plunger and diaphragm that I just ordered.
Gator
Old 02-11-2009, 08:15 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, I hope that works ut for you.

I wouldn't use carb cleaner on the silicone parts. Depending on the chemicals used to make it you may harm the diaphram and tip of the plunger. I use raw fuel or rubbing alcohol as a parts cleaner.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:19 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Yeh, don't use carb cleaner or any heavy petroleum solvents.... I would worry most about the silicon O'ring at the bottom of the diaphram. What happens with these silicon O'rings when you use things like that is they dissolve and, unfortunatley, not immediately. So starting 4-5 days to a few weeks later they get soft and slowly disintegrate way past the point that you exposed them. On top of replacing them, you end up having to dig them out, not to mention where all the little parts go within your engine.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:52 AM
Gatorb8

Thanks for the advice on the "do not use" carb cleaner.
I just got the replacement parts so I'm gona go ahead and just install them rather than risk sucking disolved parts later.........
thx
Gator