Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Removing crankshaft and bearings

Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing crankshaft and bearings

Any tips on how to remove the crankshaft and bearings out of a YS engine. I have removed bearings out 2 stroke and 4 stroke motors before but nothing I have done before has prepared me it seems on how to get the crankshaft or the bearings out of my YS motor.

I have tried heating the case and it doesn't do anything except get hot. To start with, I can't even remove the drive washer. I have tried a puller and all it did was mess up the aluminum on it.

Anybody done this before or have any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Removing crankshaft and bearings

First of all you need to pull the thrust washer before you can do anything. Most of the models have a press fit thrust washer and require a puller. You can use the links below to see two different pullers that work fine. I personally use the one found on ebay which is designed originally for pulling cables from car batteries. The second link is to the Central hobbies version.
Jimmy Skids

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Cable-Cl...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Tools/tool1.html#DRIVE WASHER PULLER

Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 AM
3d-aholic

Yeh, I bought one of those car terminal removal ones from AutoZone. It didn't work. It buggered up the drive washer pretty bad. I kept trying and then the car terminal remover pretty much disintegrated. The piece on the screw handle broke off and the spring came off. I was able to put everything else back together and I'm going to take it back and ask for a return on it...

The one you linked off does not look long enough. One of the problems with the YS engine is that part of the crank that sticks up off the drive washer is a full 1 1/2" high off the part that you grab. The one I bought barely worked but that was one of the problems..it too was a bit short...thats why the spring shot off. I hate to have to place another order with Central Hobbies....got to be something I can get locally that will do it.

This is the one that I had that disentegrated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Batte...tomotive_Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 08:06 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the one from Central Hobbies and it works well.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

I've used one like Jimmy linked to for years. If the puller won't pull it on its own use a propane torch to gently heat the drive washer. It will expand and let go of the collet.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:16 AM
3d-aholic

Ok, everything is much tighter than I am use to I guess. Do I have to do anything to put the washer back or will just the pressure of the prop and washer "reseat" it?

Thanks guys....I guess I need to double down on it.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
mjfrederick

When I put my drive washers on, I press them as much as I can by hand, then tighten a prop on it to pull it all together.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:47 PM
3d-aholic

Ok I got the crank off working on the bearings now.
I returned the $3.99 battery puller and bought a $5.99 gear puller and it seemed to have the muscle to do it. When it came out, it popped under all the pressure. Crank then was easy. Bearings look pretty tight though...we'll see.

Thanks everyone...Your afraid your going to break things if it takes too much. Just had the wrong tool.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:52 AM
apereira

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just heat the crankcase with a propane torch carefully with the engine looking up and the back bearing will simply fall, if you do not want to use a torch the get the crankcase in the kitchen oven for 10 or 15min same thing will happen but your family might ask you what are you cooking that smells so bad
The front to bearing you can push from behind through the crankcase.

Regards