Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Conrod reassembly YS 170 cdi

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:15 AM
Gyri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conrod reassembly YS 170 cdi

This is regarding my YS 170cdi with YS super mount. In my last flying session the damper on the mount snapped and as a result my engine quit. After landing I found that I could rotate the prop only a few degrees either way and upon disassembling noticed that the con-rod was broken. Luckily a friend of mine had some spares and managed to get a con-rod. the problem now is that I am unable to assemble to conrod and would like to know the sequence for the assembly.
I slipped the piston-conrod assembly into the cylinder sleeve, but after that, there doesn't seem enough play to shove the conrod bottom end onto the crank pin. The height of the crankpin appears too much for the con-rod insertion. The crank-pin itself appears to have 2 steps. I suppose the protrution on the crankpin goes into the disc-valve slot in the back plate. Is this step on the crank-pin a removable part?

Kindly help!
Thanks for the same.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:22 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Conrod reassembly YS 170 cdi

You have to put the rod on the crank first. Then put the piston in the case and push the wrist pin and retainer in through the hole in the back of the case(behind the carb body). Then you can put the liner in the case.

Good luck,

Chris
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Gyri

Thanks Chris, I will try assembling it that way. However I am wondering how one can get the liner into the case after fitting the piston since there is no access for compressing the piston-ring, inside the case. The piston-ring will block the liner from sliding down. Please help.
Gyri
Old 07-26-2010, 09:19 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Does the bottom end of the liner not have a tapered entrance?...
Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Yes, it does.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Gyri

Thanks Chris, managed to assemble the engine back. I got the piston partly into the liner first and then inserted as a unit till I could align the wrist pin hole with the outer case and the conrod. Then got the wrist pin though and slid down the liner. Simple. Thanks for pointing the outer silicon plug, I overlooked it completely.

Thanks to you all.