Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

Power consumtion for ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Vismund

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power consumtion for ignition

I know that there is some kind of safety feature in the ignition module on my 50ng, that turns of the ignition after a while, if the prop doesn't turn. But does this mean that the power consumtion from the battery is turned off as well, or will there still be a small current drain? If so, how big is this power consumtion approximately? I just came back from the field without beeing able to fly at all, due to a empty ignition battery, and I dont remember when it was charged or if I forgot to turn the ignition off after my last flight.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Jakmun

Default RE: Power consumtion for ignition

it turns off after 1 minute of inactivity. there would still be a tiny current drain (eg. your fibre optic cut off would still be powered) which you could measure if you wanted to find out.
please check your battery voltages under load before EVERY FLIGHT, and charge them up before going to the field, (and confirm that they have charged) to avoid disappointment!

you should check your battery capacity (ie discharge and charge it a few times) and make sure your switch/wiring/regulator are not shorting/leaking current anywhere before flying again. also measure the current drain after recharging your battery, with the circuit OFF and ON. what sort of battery is it and how old?
Old 09-12-2006, 03:27 AM
Vismund

Its a sanyo nimh pack with a rated and checked capacity of 3500mah. The only thing that can leak current in my setup is the power swtich since Im not using a fiber optic kill switch.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:13 AM
Jakmun

i would have thought the current drain ot the ign module if you'de left it on would be so small (10-20mA), it would take several days to run your battery flat.
do you have an ammeter to check the current drain (switches and wiring can develop shorts) at the battery plug?
...and charge/discharge the battery a few times to see what capacity it has. sometimes batteries die too.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Jakmun

can you put an ammeter in series with the battery where it plugs into the switch? then measure current drain with switch OFF and then ON and after 2 minutes of ON.