Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

noise from zdz80rv

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:24 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise from zdz80rv

i have a zdz80, the discontinued version, i just noticed a "not-so-good" sounding noise at low idle, it doesnt do it all the time and only does it at low idle on the ground, and i heard it once in a flat spin(at low idle), its a metal sound, like a click or rattle type noise, all bolts are tight and its not coming from the plane, it seems to be in the motor, turning it over by hand i can get a little click at the compression point, but nothing like when its running, i had it sent in 8 months ago or so cause of a noise it was making,(this sounds different) turns out it was the con-rod, they said it ran to lean, i may buy into that cause the muffler came loose and created a gap, which they say can lean it out, but since back i check the bolts every morning before flying, i cut 2 little holes in the cowl to do so, it has seeped a bit of oil from the hub since getting it back, mike said to keep an eye on it and it may go away if it was some residual iol from re-assembly, that did seem to get better, should i be worried about this noise now? it goes away when you bring the idle up, and i dont hear it when flying other than in a flat spin or something with low idle, still has plenty of power, doesnt feel "sloppy" when turning it over by hand, runs smooth, no abnormal vibration, any thoughts? im thinking of just running with it and seeing if it gets worse, but at the same time i dont want to have a failure a few feet off the ground in a hover or something
Old 12-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: noise from zdz80rv

Maybe the prop bolts are loose or possibly the spinner ...It's hard to diagnose sounds thru the internet.....
Mine was makin a loud noise over the summer, found out it was overheating and loosened the prop bolts....Hope this helps...Let us know what u find....
Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 PM
diamondave

i checked all the bolts, it was wierd, it sat for a month or more, i was sick and the weather wasnt the best, it made the noise the 1st day out, each flight i heard it, the next day it only did it on a couple of the flights, the next weeknd i think i heard it once, then it went away, i changed the spinner now and havent heard it since, but it had already stopped before i changed the spinner, im lost, i dont know if it had anything to do with sitting for a while?, maybe it was its way of telling me i need to fly it more often, haha, beats me but its gone for now, and running great, like always
Old 12-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Andrew_S

I guess it's possible there could have been some oil buildup from the gas on the bearings causing them to be a little sticky maybe? U changed spinners too, could the old spinner have been loose hitting the prop?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:55 PM
diamondave

actually it came loose a while back, then i stripped the bolt and broke it, tapped it out and it was crooked, so i went to a cf spinner with the bolts on the outside instead of the center one, but the noise was there even when i flew with just the original spinner backplate, and i know nothing was loose, and i could not get it to do it by hand, grabing things, turning the motor over, nothing, then it went away while that backplate was still on there, i changed the spinner during the week after the noise had stopped, someone at my club said maybe it was the advance on the ignition making the noise, it was sticking or something he said? i dont know about that, it didnt sound like a detonation or a ping like in a car, it was more of a metal sound like a bearing or something, piston maybe, it was really wierd, if it does it again i will have to get a video of it, hopefully whatever it was cured itself, thats my favorite kind of fix, haha....the motor is seeping a tad of oil from the hub, it gets slimy sometimes, there is residue on the cowl, and i can rub my finger on the bottom of the hub and get oil on it, im guessing sooner or later i should get that fixed, i dont think its related to the noise i heard though
Old 12-23-2008, 03:36 AM
Andrew_S

I just remembered, when I took mine apart for a rebuild, the front bearing fell out in my hand. It was supposed to be a pressed in fit. Apparantly the old bearing in mine had gone bad, wallowing out the casing a bit. Mike at rcshowcase told me this was a common thing. He suggested tapping 2 holes in the case and putting in set screws to stop the new bearing from spinning around. Maybe this is what's happeneng to yours...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:34 AM
diamondave

hmmm, i need to find the reciept the last time i sent it in, they did some work on it after a wreck, he found out the con rod was bad, from leaning out he said not the crash, i did have a leak in the muff one time so maybe i can buy that, but anyway the seepage seemed to come after i got it back, i called mike and he said to keep an eye on it and maybe it was just some left over stuff from the reassembly, i dont remember if they did bearings or crank or anything, i will see, not sure if i still have the paper work, im thinking mike would give me a good deal if i need to send it back in whether it was something from the work they did or not, maybe once my new 110yak with my new zdz100 is up and running, i will take this one off and send it in for a check up to be safe, its the older version, they most expensive one out there, been sent in 2 times already to be worked on, going to have enough in it to buy the super80 soon, if not more
Old 12-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Andrew_S

Mine had a lot of side to side play when I wiggled the prop from front to back. Thats why I decided to rebuild it..I didn't bother to send it in, it was way out of warranty...
Old 12-23-2008, 11:07 AM
arobatx

If you get stuck looking for parts....send me a PM. I have a complete lower end, case, bearings, shaft, conrod for the 80rv in great shape.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:36 PM
diamondave

cool, mine feels tight all around, no play side to side, up and down, nothing, feels very good actually, i did find the reciept from the last work done on it, con rod and bearings, and crankshaft, so that seepage thing could have been from that last rebuild, it was done in january, so its been a year, but it wasnt used until late spring or summer, anyway, maybe i will do something with it after my other is up and running, i dont like the little bit of residue im getting on the ring of the cowl, and it does seem to be getting worse little by little