Community
Search
Notices
ZDZ & RCS Support Direct support from Mike Dooley of RC Showcase for all your ZDZ and RCS Engine questions.

ZDZ HARD STARTING PROBLEM RESOLVED..MAYBE

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM
ddotson
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ HARD STARTING PROBLEM RESOLVED..MAYBE

I have come to like zdz engines, despite their perculuarites. Been doing a lot of research and experimenting with them. It seems hard starting is a commom complaint. I think part of the problem is with the Falcon ignition design. I won't go into a lot of theory here but I think the issue is timing is to retarded. Late ignition can make the engine very difficult to start. One sure sign is sort of a backfire through the muffler. As some of you know electronic parts can change value slightly with age. I think because the timing arrangement is so critical on Falcon ignitions that some part changes value slightly thus upsetting the timing. I have searched the net trying to find out where timing should be in terms of degrees BTDC, but can't. I can only find instructions for setting the sensor so many mm from a certain point. This probably correct with a new ignition, but with a ignition that has changed slightly, probably wrong. I have found on easy starting zdzs the ignition point (spark) should be just at the beginning of the transition and I mean the very beginning. To check this remove cap insert plug into cap. Shell does not be grounded against engine, grounded through braid. Leave plug in engine so there is compression. Slowly rock engine through the transition if it fires anywhere past the point mentioned above, it is to retarded. Move the sensor cw (facing engine) as far as you can after you loosen the screws. You may have to remove the washers to allow it to move far enough. I have had to loosen the screw that locks round sensor and rotate the sensor ccw to achieve the proper firing point in some engines. If you have to do this just make sure it still fires, to far and it won't. Be mindful that the ignition module has a safety cutoff. So turn ignition off then on to make sure that feature has not been activated. If you can get the spark at this point the timing should be right and should help with starting. THIS ASSUMES CARB SETTINGS ARE CLOSE AND YOU DON'T A WEAK IGNITION AND NO FUEL DELIVERY ISSUES. IT IS NOT A CURE ALL SOLUTION. In no case will you cause any damage and all settings can be returned to original positions. If you are satisfied with the way your engine starts LEAVE IT ALONE. I would really appreciate any feedback and results. Maybe all this will help others going bald trying to figure out zdz engines.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Lins

Default RE: ZDZ HARD STARTING PROBLEM RESOLVED..MAYBE

I'm interested to try this! I'll need to pick up a spare plug first though...
Old 04-30-2009, 09:21 AM
ddotson

Try the E3 diamond fire sub for bpmr6f plug. Got mine at Advance Auto. You have to screw off the tip and cut off the little stud withe a Dremel tool. This is the tip that goes into the spark plug cap. You will see what I mean when you compare the plugs. Been using them and having easier starts and better performance. About 6 bucks, but worth it IMHO.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Lins

Do you have the actual part number handy? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 PM
ddotson

ORIGINAL: Lins

E3.16
Old 04-30-2009, 08:04 PM
ddotson

ORIGINAL: ddotson

ORIGINAL: Lins

E3.16
Best I can find out on gap is .022
Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Lins

Thanks, I'll see if I can track one of those bad boys down!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:23 PM
ddotson

Flew the Wild hare Edge 540 50cc today with the new spark plug and Power Hd 9150 servos all around from TBM. Had the 3D expert in our club test fly it and he is very critical. He was VERY impressed with the performance of the engine and servos. He is going to order some of the servos for his next project. 220 oz @6v , ball bearing, ALL metal gears and digital. $33.80 ea from TBM. They ususually sell out pretty quick.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 PM
ddotson

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/acce/servos/powerhd/
Old 05-13-2009, 07:02 PM
rcmaster12

I was just wondering, should i be using a powerbox on a 50cc plane that i plan on doing 3D with?
Old 05-28-2009, 04:40 PM
aeroparts

ORGINAL:ddotson
I have searched the net trying to find out where timing should be in terms of degrees BTDC, but can't. I can only find instructions for setting the sensor so many mm from a certain point.
This might help. Didnt take to much searching :-)

On the Falcon site.

http://www.falkon.cz/se.htm

http://www.falkon.cz/download/en.pdf

0,1-0,3mm BTDC

/ Lennart
Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rcmaster12

I was just wondering, should i be using a powerbox on a 50cc plane that i plan on doing 3D with?
no.