RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/)
-   -   official mini quake thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-16th-1-18th-mini-micro-rc-cars-235/4689554-official-mini-quake-thread.html)

vargis 10-28-2009 11:58 PM

RE: official mini quake thread

I know this has been covered before in this thread but I need to know what bl motor set-up to run in my mq? Does anyone know if the novak mongoose micro 380 will work? thank you?! If not what motor should I purchase?</p>

</p>

Go-Zilla 10-30-2009 12:12 AM

ORIGINAL: vargis

I know this has been covered before in this thread but I need to know what bl motor set-up to run in my mq? Does anyone know if the novak mongoose micro 380 will work? thank you?! If not what motor should I purchase?</p>

</p>
wow, can't believe this thread bubbles up again.

Yes the Mongoose should work but not with the stock pinion. You need a 3.17mm shaft metric motor pinion. The stock pinion from the MQ is 2.3mm only. I think Novak has those pinions but not sure if they have the size of teeth you want because those Novak pinions don't have more teeth. Another options for pinions are Robinson Racing, they got tons of them at Tower.

plasma 327 11-07-2009 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys new to the thread. I just blew the dust off my quake and ordered the mongoose 8.5 system for it.. I have had it for a couple of years and worked it over..
I have had a few different motor esc combos in it but still have not got what I like yet.. Hopefully the mongoose system eill please me..
Here are some pics..

trx1 11-10-2009 11:51 AM

can these still be gotten, used 2 have one a while ago. sorta miss the little bugger now!

dacaur 11-10-2009 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: trx1

can these still be gotten, used 2 have one a while ago. sorta miss the little bugger now!
I dont think so, but in all honesty, if you are going to spend $150 for one of these, you might as will save up another $150 for a brushed mini e-revo... Its a MUCH MUCH better truck, just as durable, and WAY more fun..... When I drive my mini quake on the grass after driving my mini e-revo in the same spot, its like watching a walmart toy driving along....:D

Go-Zilla 11-11-2009 12:48 AM

ORIGINAL: plasma 327

Hey guys new to the thread. I just blew the dust off my quake and ordered the mongoose 8.5 system for it.. I have had it for a couple of years and worked it over..
I have had a few different motor esc combos in it but still have not got what I like yet.. Hopefully the mongoose system eill please me..
Here are some pics..
you will love the mongoose. I had the 10.5 in it for about a month, it was a blast. If you want taller pinion, remember to check out Robinson pinions at the tower.

Go-Zilla 11-11-2009 12:58 AM

ORIGINAL: dacaur
When I drive my mini quake on the grass after driving my mini e-revo in the same spot, its like watching a walmart toy driving along....:D
I have a MERV and a MQ too, but sometimes it is not about driving it on the grass or pavement. There are quite a number of us out there like to mod a 70's VW bug and stuff enough nitro in it so it can beat out a Ferrari you know what I mean. That's part of the fun working on these RC too.

plasma 327 11-11-2009 08:04 AM

SWEET,
Thanks for the info.
What size pinion do you suggest to start with?

vargis 11-12-2009 12:00 PM

Thanks for the input go-zilla I cant afford a brushless revo.  What about the lst-2?  I had losi as a kid what do you think?  Or what other suggestions do you have for me?  

pathums 07-10-2010 07:10 AM

Hi,

Please tell me How did you get those big tires?

What are they?

Please mail me.

my email is [email protected]

Thanks

Pathum

J0EC00L 08-23-2011 09:19 PM

Wow...

Been a long time since someone posted on the MQ forum. Either no one is interested in the MQ anymore, or the conversation is on a different forum now.

Looking for any tips or advice on the MQ

Thanks

Joe
Joe

dacaur 08-24-2011 04:05 PM

Once the e-revo came out, I sold my MQ.... The thing I loved about the MQ was its durability... the e-revo is just as durable, more-so actualy, and makes the MQ seem like a slow toy.... If you have any questions ill try to answer.... I think DT made a mistake discontinuing it, but thats probably why the thread died... no new people coming in with shiny new MQ's....

J0EC00L 08-24-2011 08:40 PM

Hey Dacur,

Thanks again for helping me out with any questions.

I really enjoyed my last vendetta st, I put a Traxxas VXL system from my merv in it and upgraded the driveline to handle the brushless. The car was a rocket! As it would be expected with that brushless system. It was clocked at 60mph by my father in laws police car. He was surprised his radar even picked upthe car because it was so small.

I digress... I have since sold or given away the mervs and rally's and vedetta. I have been very happy with the stampede 4x4 VXL, but I guess I really enjoy the building and tuning of these RC's as much as driving them so I wanted another little project but wanted to keep it under or around 100-150 total. I look for another vendetta but came across the MQ's and saw their cheaper price so I did a little research and liked what I saw initially. After passing up a few used MQ's around 100, I luckily won one from eBay for 54.00 out the door shipped and it is basically brand new. Very very clean and all that was broken was the TX. Can't beat that deal and I could care less about the electronics anyways since in using my own.

Chapter 4... :) sorry so long. To sum everything up, if I were to install a brushless motor - let's say maybe the motor from a rally VXL with either a sidewinder esc or the Traxxas VXL esc, what will be necessary to upgrade in the MQ to handle the torque and speed?

I can assume the diffs may need to be beefed up, the driveshafts and hubs probably. And lastly, are the stock wheels/tires for these worth it, or should i loom to aftermarket or mini lst wheels since I hear those are a very nice upgrade to the MQ

Thanks again for your help and assistance.

Joe

dacaur 08-24-2011 09:05 PM

the stock tires arent that great, mini lst tires would be bigger, but you will need some adapters to fit them, since the stock wheels attach with a screw into the hub, rather than a standard hex and nut... You would definatly need to do some driveline upgrades, since its all plastic other than the center shaft, which is aluminum...

Honestly, I dont think it would be worthwhile on a MQ though.... the suspension just isnt a good design, 8 tiny shocks, and as much as i tried to tune them with pistons and oil, I could never get mine as smooth as my mini lst or a vendetta.... it cant keep up with a stock mini quake at 15mph.... Honestly even at its best, I would drive my mini lst, then the mini quake, and the MQ would look like a toy bouncing throgh the grass....

If you are going to keep it stock and brushed, a MQ is a great toy, tough as nails and fun, but upgrade the power and all you do is break stuff....

J0EC00L 08-25-2011 05:13 PM

Well.... That stinks. I guess I should have waited and spent a little more on a vendetta. I like my last vendetta. I should have kept it, but I sold it to fund a different rc project.

Big mistake :(

I guess I can fix the MQ and try selling it for a little more than I paid.

So Dacur, if you had a choice between vendetta or mini LST, what would you decide and why? Which will require more money invested as well. I understand alot can be invested based on tastes, but I'll already have the brushless system, so I am more concerned about the needed driveline and suspension upgrades and their respective costs for either the Vendetta or LST

Thanks again for your help

Joe.

plasma 327 08-25-2011 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The entire drive line has to be upgraded to run brushless. Bacically you need to end up with the SE. The step pin tires are really good to run with but just ripping it around the stocker do fine. I do not run mine much anymore but cant ride my self of it as it was my first mini..

Mike St.Clair 08-26-2011 04:15 AM

I thought mine ran pretty well on pavement with the stock tires.  The DTX street tires are horrible.  I found that running a Hyperion 5000kv motor was too much for it as it got in the upper 20's mph.  That and the stock AM radio weren't a good combination.  I have replaced all but two of the shocks with silver ones from TheToyz, haven't installed them all yet.  Planning to go back to the VR3, which was plenty fast, and selling/trading mine. 

J0EC00L 08-27-2011 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

well the MQ came in today. I got a hell of a deal! I only paid 54.00 total, included shipping. This thing is practically new. No scuffs, no dirt, no wear or tear. Even the exposed pinion and spur are clean! :)

Here's a photo to show. Heck, the wheels are new!

I'm gonna put my electronics and battery on this thing; so i'm probably going to sell all the stock electronics and battery.

Joe

Mike St.Clair 08-28-2011 04:06 AM

Not trying to be a douche, but that''s a copy of the MQ.  I think it's Exceed or some other brand.  Still cool though.  Think I'm gonna sell mine.

J0EC00L 08-28-2011 09:44 AM

Mike,

Your not a douche bro, justa d1ck.

You are absolutely right bro. The body (shell) is an exceed truck. Good catch to see that without body. Will everything from a MQ swap over? I still think its a decent deal, but may still sell it to either break even or make a dollar or two. No knowing the MQ too much I would have never caught that. Still a pretty clean truck and in great condition.

Poop! good catch bro, thanks!

Joe

dacaur 08-28-2011 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Well.... That stinks. I guess I should have waited and spent a little more on a vendetta. I like my last vendetta. I should have kept it, but I sold it to fund a different rc project.

Big mistake :(

I guess I can fix the MQ and try selling it for a little more than I paid.

So Dacur, if you had a choice between vendetta or mini LST, what would you decide and why? Which will require more money invested as well. I understand alot can be invested based on tastes, but I'll already have the brushless system, so I am more concerned about the needed driveline and suspension upgrades and their respective costs for either the Vendetta or LST

Thanks again for your help

Joe.
The tires are a dead givaway that its not duratrax, but I believe I have read that 90%+ of the parts will swap over.

As for the vendetta or the mini lst, IF you are going to stick with stock power, I would say mini LST2 all the way, the only weak point with stock power is the steering servo gears, but thats an easy upgrade, but with the mini LST once you start adding power, the plastic spider gears start to strip. the R&P in the mini lst2 is metal, but the spiders are still plastic. If you change to ball diffs front and rear, it can handle brushless, but then you have lots more maintenance..... Ive never owned a vendetta, but have heard good things about then being able to be upgraded to brushless, however from the posts i have read where the posted owns both, the mini LST/2 handles much better..... Until the mini e-revo came out, the mini LSt/2 was the best handling mini you could get.... and if you stick with the 1/18 size, it still is (since the mini e-revo is really 1/16 and noticeably bigger, bigger will always handle better)

thats probably not much help.... in direct answer to the question you asked, I would go with a vendetta if i planned to upgrade to brushless, it can handle brushless power with less invested in upgrades and honestly, at 60mph, it doesn't much matter how good a mini's supension is, things are going to go very badly if you hit a bump wrong or turn fast..... At the speeds these things were designed for, the LSt2 is clearly superior, but at brushless speeds, the vendettas toughness brings it out in front.....

However, the mini e-revo is so clearly superior to either, that I would just get one of those.... I havent run my mini LST2 in over a year... its just not much fun since I have the mini e-revo.... :D

Mike St.Clair 08-29-2011 04:12 AM

Something about  a short wheel base, high COG, and too much power......  I think the MIniquake is just fine as long as you stay with a VR3.  I guess if I ugraded to a 2.4g radio, I might not have as much of an issue with BL power.  I still think it's just not able to handle the speed though. 
    Once I get my new shocks installed and the VR3 back in, I'll post pics.  I haven't messed with it in months.  Heck, haven't really messed with my Detta SC in a while as I think my 26mm Castle ate the diffs too......

trx1 09-15-2011 06:58 AM

would LOVE another mini-quake!
just cant find em anymore :(

Mike St.Clair 09-15-2011 10:39 AM

If you're interested, I just have to put the pinion on my VR3 motor and I'll have one to sell. It's got a dtx ball diff in the rear, brand new GPM aluminum front knuckles, 6 new GPM shocks, brand new OEM tires and wheels (still need to be glued), a DTX 7550ESC, ball bearings in the steering "shafts", DTX cvds, alum heatsink, stock tx/rx, I think that's about it. Ihave spare lower control arms and an upper or two. Ialso have a new partial DTXball diff.

trx1 09-23-2011 07:22 PM

prob outta my price range anyway