Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cleaning engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 PM
unclecrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning engines

Guys wondering what a good spray oil is to use after scrubbing my little engines down in glow fuel. To spray rinse the swarf out.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning engines

Uncle....I use brake cleaner for flushing grit, then put them away with Marvel Mystery Oil..
Old 10-31-2010, 09:11 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do the same thing.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:15 PM
combatpigg

Oh yah?
Well I magnaflux all the moving parts then de-magnetize the cranks after every outing, too...[8D]
Old 10-31-2010, 09:18 PM
unclecrash

Thanks guys,where can I get the mystery oil at a auto parts. I been using 3&1 oil thats all I have.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:22 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Oh yah?
Well I magnaflux all the moving parts then de-magnetize the cranks after every outing, too...[8D]
Ya lost me please explain
Old 10-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

My favorite (liquid, afterun oil, assembly oil) is 50% Marvel Mystery Air Tool Oil and 50% Automatic Transmission Fluid. It will protect and "pickle" any engine for future use.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:57 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: unclecrash

Oh yah?
Ya lost me please explain

I think ya forgot the Zyglo and dye penetrant checks of all the Alum. parts...
(just being a wise ***** )

I use a spray carb cleaner, like Gummout, then oil 'em up w/ air tool oil. (on engines w/o plastic parts )
I put some old fuel in a small glass jar, for soaking Medallions, Tee Dee's etc.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:08 PM
combatpigg

UC, tranny fluid is about the same as MMO and does a nice job.
Magnaflux is how you inspect iron parts for cracks.

De-magnetizing the crank is something I heard about in the control line speed forums, to relieve some infintessimal amount of drag? I'm skeptical....could be an urban legend.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:44 AM
66Malibu

I used MMO for many years in model airplane engines and in automotive engines and I found that some model engines started to stick in storage after a few years. I will use the MMO supply up a pint at a time in the car fuels to get the top lube benefit and I have switched over 100% to MMO Air Tool Oil. I like the idea of 50/50 Air Tool and ATF to get the rust inhibitors and the ATF friction modifiers into the little ones.

CP...I have no idea about demagnetizing cranks in control line racers, but in the Automotive High Performance world many shops do it. My understanding is that it keeps the crankshaft from attracting the fine magnetic particles too small for the oil filter to catch. As they build up on the crank bearing surface , I guess that it is conceivable that small friction would happen. I think the small particles would just erode the bearing material like fine grit emory paper. I have never had one of my steel cranks demagnitized since I either run a magnetic oil drain plug or put a few Northen Tool rare earth magnets in key oil flow locations. I might try it next time I build another Chev engine....
Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 66Malibu
I used MMO for many years in model airplane engines and in automotive engines and I found that some model engines started to stick in storage after a few years. I will use the MMO supply up a pint at a time in the car fuels to get the top lube benefit and I have switched over 100% to MMO Air Tool Oil. I like the idea of 50/50 Air Tool and ATF to get the rust inhibitors and the ATF friction modifiers into the little ones.
A Marvel rep a few years ago (on one of these forums) said that Marvel Air Tool Oil is MMO with a rust inhibitor.

I have had good luck with both Campbell Hausfeld air tool oil and Rislone.

George
Old 11-02-2010, 01:33 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

....De-magnetizing the crank is something I heard about in the control line speed forums, to relieve some infintessimal amount of drag? I'm skeptical....could be an urban legend.

ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?!?! Demagnatizing is ESSENTIAL! ! ! ! Without it the EMF generated in the surrounding metals can set up a spinning field. And at the RPM of model race engines it's common to open a rift in the space-time continuum to the other side. I've seen guys who's engines failed in flight and upon stripping them down the crank pin and half the conrods were just plain GONE! The other common generator of such rifts is the home dryer. Where do you THINK all those mismatched socks come from. They pop back and forth through the rift as commonly as my cat wants in and out!

Unclecrash, in case you haven't picked up on it the guys are just feeling their oats

Marvel mystery oil is fairly commonly available and a small tin will last for a huge portion of your life in the way we use it. I've also used the red color automatic transmission fluid cut with a bit of mineral spirits and found that works nicely as well. Actually even WD40 does a nice job for this use. Being a water displacing product it also does a nice job of removing and getting under the alchohal film. And it's the alchohal with its affinity for water in the air that can lead to rust in some cases.

Mind you engines that I cleaned and lubed with 3in1 and bagged are in as nice a condition today as when I bagged them years ago.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no space-time continum thats purely a myth, everybody knows the dryer socks go into the universal vortex ghaaaa!
Thats why there are no pictures of bigfoot,the only creature that can step in and out of the vortex,,down here in the south however they are called nesters, we dont find footprints cause they live in the trees...same reason when you crash in the woods you never find the plane...cause no one looks up!!...wonder how crazy this is gonna get?...Rog
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Cox International

And here the ULTIMATE in after-run oil. Xena's "Xenalube" for external and internal use (engines only)

http://coxengines.ca/product.php?pro...&cat=10&page=1

Bernie

Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
vicman

Oh yah?
Well I magnaflux all the moving parts then de-magnetize the cranks after every outing, too...
Well...uhm...yeah, I do that too as well as a good ole fashioned cryogenic treatment. (for real)

same reason when you crash in the woods you never find the plane
Rog, that S%*$& aint funny at all! I'm still lookin for that Nelson.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:24 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

....De-magnetizing the crank is something I heard about in the control line speed forums, to relieve some infintessimal amount of drag? I'm skeptical....could be an urban legend.

ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?!?! Demagnatizing is ESSENTIAL! ! ! ! Without it the EMF generated in the surrounding metals can set up a spinning field. And at the RPM of model race engines it's common to open a rift in the space-time continuum to the other side. I've seen guys who's engines failed in flight and upon stripping them down the crank pin and half the conrods were just plain GONE! The other common generator of such rifts is the home dryer. Where do you THINK all those mismatched socks come from. They pop back and forth through the rift as commonly as my cat wants in and out!

Unclecrash, in case you haven't picked up on it the guys are just feeling their oats

Marvel mystery oil is fairly commonly available and a small tin will last for a huge portion of your life in the way we use it. I've also used the red color automatic transmission fluid cut with a bit of mineral spirits and found that works nicely as well. Actually even WD40 does a nice job for this use. Being a water displacing product it also does a nice job of removing and getting under the alchohal film. And it's the alchohal with its affinity for water in the air that can lead to rust in some cases.

Mind you engines that I cleaned and lubed with 3in1 and bagged are in as nice a condition today as when I bagged them years ago.
Ya a few seconds after I asked I remembered about the magnafluxing. actually had me going for a bit longer on the de maging. I actually sit there with my big flytying magnifier when cleaning and putting them back together don't want them little particals or shavings in me engines. No Joke
Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 PM
unclecrash

One of the reasons I was asking I been seeing on the 010 tanks some deteriation of the plastic where the nipple gets eatin off and aroung the area there will be white residue and the plastic will be soft Wondering if certain oil or fuel was doing this. And was also wondering what the best way to preserve the plastic parts would be.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:01 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Now how the plastic is affected could well have something to do with oils and solvents used on the engine. But don't forget UV exposure. I've found that engines that sit in a cool dark place seem to do fine. Those sitting out on a shelf where the sun can get to them not so well over time. But it's also quite possible that some oils and solvents can hasten their demise as well.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 AM
unclecrash

This had to be something either cox or the person who owned it used to store it or maybe run at factory if they did that. Its an 010 that was suppose to be new old stock. The motor was new but what ever went through the fuel line ate the tank up. I also had a tank I bought for the 010 new in cox pack that had the same white area around the nipple and a bit soft. Thats what has me puzzled. The new tank maybe it was a release agent they were using. I thought fuel maybe oil, on the engine,but then I got the tank with the same thing happening.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:42 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BMatthews
...Mind you engines that I cleaned and lubed with 3in1 and bagged are in as nice a condition today as when I bagged them years ago.
Good point! One of the problems with 3-in-1 and other light machine oils is that they evaporate. Bagging engines keeps them oiled.

George
Old 11-03-2010, 01:46 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

There is no space-time continum thats purely a myth, everybody knows the dryer socks go into the universal vortex ghaaaa!
Thats why there are no pictures of bigfoot,the only creature that can step in and out of the vortex,,down here in the south however they are called nesters, we dont find footprints cause they live in the trees...same reason when you crash in the woods you never find the plane...cause no one looks up!!...wonder how crazy this is gonna get?...Rog
according to George Carlin, this is where our words left and right came from...

When you put a pair of socks in the dryer, one slips off into the parallel universe. When you open the dryer, one of them is gone, RIGHT? And there's only one LEFT.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Tee Bee

I've also had some new, old stock Cox plastic parts that were very soft and crumbly. A couple of my regular runners have to be handled carefully. Some of the plastic made back in the day had inconsistent quality characteristics. I work in that industry and the quality consistency and control is much better these days.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 AM
unclecrash

Its funny how the plastic can get brittle and crumble. last year I built an topflight p51 arf for a friend and I noticed the control horn for the tail wheel was crumbly. I actually broke the first one just tighting it on the rod. he bought a replacement I installed it. He took it to go do the maiden and he said all I did was set it down and it broke again. He said he took it off and grabbed it with a little pressure and it crumbled into powder. he should have picked me up for the maiden
Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dryer socks go to the same place all the crap that disapeared out of the Bermuda triangle did. I dont know where that is but someday someone's going to find a big ***** pile of planes, ships and socks!

Darren