RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cleaning engines
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 11:44 AM
66Malibu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning engines

I used MMO for many years in model airplane engines and in automotive engines and I found that some model engines started to stick in storage after a few years. I will use the MMO supply up a pint at a time in the car fuels to get the top lube benefit and I have switched over 100% to MMO Air Tool Oil. I like the idea of 50/50 Air Tool and ATF to get the rust inhibitors and the ATF friction modifiers into the little ones.

CP...I have no idea about demagnetizing cranks in control line racers, but in the Automotive High Performance world many shops do it. My understanding is that it keeps the crankshaft from attracting the fine magnetic particles too small for the oil filter to catch. As they build up on the crank bearing surface , I guess that it is conceivable that small friction would happen. I think the small particles would just erode the bearing material like fine grit emory paper. I have never had one of my steel cranks demagnitized since I either run a magnetic oil drain plug or put a few Northen Tool rare earth magnets in key oil flow locations. I might try it next time I build another Chev engine....