Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

The 24 year itch

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 08:02 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Not all plastic cutting boards have the right material. IIRC, the right stuff is similar to what automotive fuel cells and some body parts are made out of.
It was in the 20's yesterday and I had a flap break off a SPAD PBF when I moved it.
Hopefully today will be nice enough to test the firewall repair with the big Pacer.
I picked up a pair of those gloves MJD found and they work pretty well.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:13 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are made from a variety of materials, but the opaque white boards are quite often HDPE and I suspect that is the material they're after - I can see how that would offer a lot of flexibility and toughness.

A little OT, but hooray I got the laser cutter back online yesterday.. new optics, replaced the laser tube (it was more deteriorated than I realized), and a buddy came over to lend the patience and determination to see it through (well, and raid the fridge too.. thanks CrossCheck, Danny likes his fancy beer!). Today I'll blank out some 1/8 lite ply and cut a couple of trial Demon part sets.. OMG is there hope yet?
Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 AM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the engine rips off the nose of this .11 powered Pacer [again]....I'll either torch it or else strip the covering, glass it top to bottom and set a OS .32 in it.
LOL. You know it's realy a shame you don't live closer CP. I had a similar project about 6 or 7 years ago. Like always, it started out with the best intentions and ended up as an example of why NASA projects always go over budget and past deadlines. The concept was simple enough, build a small plane for an 09 with a 40" wingspan. You see most days I don't feel like driving out to the club field to fly as I have a nice 4000 acre field across the street. It is, however, un mowed. So greasing the landing is a matter of getting the plane to stall about 10" above whatever heigth the grass/weeds/hay is that month. So it's about as smooth as a carrier landing where you miss all 3 cables and go into the net. The hay does arrest the plane, but this forces some design considerations.

1st, even my 020 planes are covered in ultra cote. Why? Because those little corn kernals on top of the hay stalk (I'm not sure if that's the barley or the hops) break back when the leading edge hits them and will slam through anything lighter duty. 2nd, I tend to build tapered leading edges as it makes it a lot easier to avoid tip stalls when doing these controlled crashes. 3rd, I have to build a little beefier to let the plane stay together if a wing catches and it cartwheels. It's not that I LIKE gluing all my fingers together when trying to glue tiny caps strips on a 20" wing, just that I like rebuilding even less.

So, while starting this plane, for some reason my mind took a wrong turn and I decided to experiment with laminar flow wings too. So I used a side veiw of a root rib of a 3 veiw of a full size P-51. I think at the root the pressure point is about 60% back. Anyway, I also like thin wings, so this got me some really funky looking razor thin ribs at the tips, so I also moved the spar back which gave me a lot longer D tube. OK, at this point we knew the 09 was out. So we figured a 15 will be fine. But I figured I should probably run a bigger aileron servo with the 15, and why not go bigger with the rudder servo. Now we have some space issues. No problem, just add a turtledeck and a nice canopy. And since I didn't have a plastic canopy I just sanded one out of a block of balsa. Opps, the 15 is starting to look a little aneamic at this point. No worries, I have a 25 that will drop right in (Same one I had on the whizzard when it flew apart). Wellll, probably should go with a bigger servo for the elevator too. That's going to need a bigger battery too. Once I got it covered and the radio installed, I felt the weight, hmmmm. Then looked at the razor thin wing, and felt the weight again.

Long story short, just to be "safe" I put in a GMS 32 that was spinning a 9X6 or 9X5 somewhere north of 15,500. Yep, that should do it. Now I have to hand launch this screaming brick with a low wing. Turns out it pulled right away and flew like you would expect. Right up until I tried that "Stall it 10" off the grass" thing. Stall speed with that weight and thin wing was just a bit faster than the cars were traveling on the road on the edge of the field. Did you know you can execute a near perfect snap roll on the landing "roll out?" Yep, sure can. I did one on all 3 flights I tried that day. Ended up putting gear on it and flying it at the club field. That was my go to plane for windy days. I mean 35mph days. As long as you had someone to hold it down so it didn't blow off the table while you were starting it I swear that would take off, fly, and land in a hurricane. Never did build that 09 for across the street. I think I have the plans around here somewhere...........
Old 01-01-2015, 12:57 PM
combatpigg

Hllywood...I'm not a psychologist, but I think you have split personalities.
One is a dedicated 1/2 Aer who wears sweaters with suede elbow patches and who weighs everything, even his meal portions.
.... and then there is the other guy with hair like Einstein, who takes sponges baths with MEK and who is always going to go with the engine that completely uses up the whole firewall. This "Power Hog" alter ego of your's also drives this car.........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10697352_700784060010911_5055304479670204073_o.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	2059542  
Old 01-01-2015, 01:12 PM
combatpigg

MJD, congratulations on getting the lazer cutter going. If I get the story straight, it was Dave's beer that gave Danny the inspiration to bring your cutter back from the dead..?
I'm at a point where I need to quit beer. The calorie penalty is too much. It's just not fair.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:32 PM
hllywdb

One is a dedicated 1/2 Aer who wears sweaters with suede elbow patches and who weighs everything, even his meal portions.
LOL. Nope, I don't wear sweaters, I don't even own a scale. (If I want to weigh a plane I bring it to work and weigh it). That car is a bit much, even for me. I did however put together a 72 Nova back in the early 80's with a siamese bore 400 that I droped an old ridge runner shoebox dual quad tunnel ram on that I had in the barn. The manifold was higher than the hood cutout. I ran velocity stacks with air cleaners on the top that got the whole mess higher than the roof line. Ed Roth would have been proud!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:04 PM
combatpigg

What's funny about the car in that photo is I ran across it years ago before I owned a computer and never thought I'd see it again. I found it while searching for a friend's gasser.
This car was [per legend] the original RAMCHARGERS project car. I don't know the history of these guys, but I think they were MOPAR engineers who moonlighted as hot rodders. Anyway, the tech inspectors back in the day didn't have a very thick rule book to enforce and this thing was allowed on the track. Notice the eight individual radiator hoses that connect the upper and bottom halves..lol..
BECAUSE of this unholy looking POS, NHRA drafted a 24 INCH RULE........meaning that from the crank's C/L, nothing bolted to the engine's upper end can extend further than that.
This car is supposedly featured at some museum as the World's Ugliest Gasser. Those were the days before it was cool to say you drove a MOPAR....!
I'll see if I can dig up a "full body" shot of it.
Your tunnel rammed 400 ever send smoke signals out the stacks when it was cold...?
Once gas hit $1.00 or so...I stopped seeing the occasional tunnel rammed car on the road. I don't even see tunnel rammed ski boats any more.
A "Rat Rodder" at a local show had a fenderless early VW Bug that looked like a miniature 40 Ford. It had bare barbed wire plug wires and a DIY tunnel ram made out of rusty diamond plate that was a good 2 feet tall or more. He had it tuned to run perfectly, even from a cold fire up.
To tell you the truth, after so many years of seeing nothing but perfect show cars that are built entirely from ready made custom parts and boat loads of cash, I probably spend more time looking at the Rat Rods now than the "nice ones"..
Old 01-01-2015, 07:21 PM
combatpigg

OK, I found it.
It wasn't hard to find, I just asked to see the World's Ugliest Gasser.
I love the Willy's coupes, the Anglias, the Henry J's.......but I just gotta draw the line at this old Plymouth.
Actually, I've seen this same basic model done differently [Plymouth Business Coupe] and it looked pretty bad ass.
Notice how the 37 Chevy got all 4 wheels off the ground. Probably a $10,000 wheelie...?

Name:	willys233jc5.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	2059690   Click image for larger version

Name:	kohler20brothers201xu3.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	2059691   Click image for larger version

Name:	newpictureru7.png
Views:	176
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2059692   Click image for larger version

Name:	addington-wheelie004.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	2059693   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAMCHARGERS-burn-out.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	2059694  
Old 01-02-2015, 12:10 PM
hllywdb

This is the one I had. They wer'ent pretty but they didn't pool the fuel in the bottom like the Edlebrocks.

Name:	ridge-runner-tunnel-ram.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	2059896  
Old 01-02-2015, 01:36 PM
combatpigg

I've never seen a TR that looked like that.
A clever machinist could turn it into a blower..!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:59 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by combatpigg
MJD, congratulations on getting the lazer cutter going. If I get the story straight, it was Dave's beer that gave Danny the inspiration to bring your cutter back from the dead..?
I'm at a point where I need to quit beer. The calorie penalty is too much. It's just not fair.
It certainly gave him the incentive to stick around and help me out. I had just replaced the tube when he showed up, so I ran down the procedure from tube to target, and we just systematically went through it all together. I work better with someone else around to keep me moving,
Old 01-02-2015, 05:25 PM
hllywdb

Here you go CP. The ridge runner was the product of Raph Ridgeway, 1965 NHRA nats winner and grandfather of the tunnel ram (Long before Edlebrock). Was around the time of smokey yuniks "smoke ram." which was a shorter cross ram. Word is he built the prototype with a clear plexi side so he could watch the atomisation. He kept going higher until there was no appreciable gain. He was from Rockville, CT. I picked mine up when I was living in CT back then. They pulled strong from about 3500 on. The top was interchangeable so you could bolt on a single, duel, Rochester or Holley, your choice. I had the dual holley.

Name:	ridgewayrcmp.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2059978  
Old 01-03-2015, 12:24 AM
combatpigg

Me and the 55 Chevy have something in common....
Having my face close enough to a WOT 301 to see the mixture would be kind of "hectic".
The 301 would be a .120 "over" 283...?
Pretty much a Z/28 combo before they ever came out with the 302.
My friend had one [Z/28 302] and it was a lot of fun. I did some work on the .061 powered Pacer's cowl. There was enough of a build up of excess cloth and resin to pretty much eliminate the need for Bondo. I'm going to play it safe and install maple blocks on the firewall to anchor the cowl instead of screwing into the side of the 1/4" plywood firewall. I've gotten away with lagging into the side of plywood firewalls before, but I don't want to go through this a third time.
My ratio of "build time" to "fly time" is already not very good with this one.

Name:	Pacer  Mach None 026.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	2060165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacer  Mach None 027.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	2060166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacer  Mach None 029.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	2060167  
Old 01-03-2015, 04:19 AM
klord125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hlllywdb, My good friend raced with Ralph. He ran a D/G 55 Chevy and a 57 Corevette. Here is a pick of both the cars they campaigned. Wow small world I think that particular style of TR was popular in M/P to..

Name:	vette.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	2060185   Click image for larger version

Name:	121 93 6.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	2060186  

Last edited by klord125; 01-03-2015 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:55 AM
klord125

CP it takes a .125 bore to get to 301 or 4" bore.. Ken
Old 01-03-2015, 11:07 AM
hllywdb

Nice pics Ken. Here's to the days of 7" slicks!
Old 01-03-2015, 11:22 AM
combatpigg

I never heard of the Ridge Runner, but I have heard of the Rat Roaster.
I'm not sure if it meant a cross ram or maybe it was an early TR like this one..?

Well, google solved that in 30 seconds........The engineers must have been pretty excited to see it work...if looks could kill....
I do not recall seeing many "after market" cross rams in use on a street rod...just once in a Camaro in the 1970s.

Name:	intake-rr2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	2060301   Click image for larger version

Name:	rat roaster.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	2060302  

Last edited by combatpigg; 01-03-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:05 PM
hllywdb

Back in the late 60's and 70's the factories were playing with cross rams for SCA stuff. Back when I lived in CT used to go to Limerock a lot (as a spectator). You need a real strong mid range on those tracks and those manifolds worked good in the 3500 to 7000 range. On the strip they were pushing sbc motors to 11k by then and the taller rams do better. Street rods tend to try and mimic a quarter mile rod even though most of those motors never went past 6k. God knows how many I've seen with the butterfly air cleaner but maybe only a couple ever actually had Hillborne injection.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:28 PM
combatpigg

KLord..I see you're from Mass...
Did you ever meet a guy named Jim Andrews who had a Hugga Orange 68 Camaro called DAMNATIONS in big white letters...?
He was from Dover and would be about 70 now.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Cross Check

Hi CP,
This cool thread' is a challenge for me...
And my typing skills... (to type the least...) By Topic :

Model Airplaning:
-MJD, glad those beers helped your 'Friggin Laser Beam' machine... Austin Powers joke!
(Wait till you see the even 3-ply 'vintage' Laun Mahogany , it was all cut down over 25+yrs ago...)

-CP, have you tried 'PopBottle' cowls? PETE plastic is what you want. Way easier for me...
I mount the engine/spinner, take measurements, carve some wood till it looks good. Add 1/2 in past the firewall.
Then make as many more mistakes on a hot air gun, that you ever will !
No kidding, it is cool! Make three, One for cutouts, other for good, third for spare !

I'd like another beer...
Then I will tell you about them...

Take care,
Have Fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 01-04-2015, 05:20 PM
combatpigg

Dave..I keep meaning to try the shrunken cowl bottle, but always seem to forget. These FG cowls are a big a PITA.
I'm looking at doing another plane that might be able to use a bottle cowl without much shrinking at all.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:35 PM
MJD

I would think the adult novelty shop might have some plastic items about the right size for these smaller cowls.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:04 PM
Cross Check

Hi CP,

Try any PETE bottle around a tapered 2X4 chunk of wood.
With a hot air gun, or carefully a propane torch, go to town!...
You will learn, and have fun ! And figure out your cowl...

From my 'High Speed Jousting' days, I have learned:
No kidding, going up at full throttle, and getting T-Boned and my wings ripped off...
The resulting vertical 'Lawn Dart' went up, then down ! !
The spinner and prop took the brunt of the damage, saving the carb and NV...
The pop bottle cowl folded up like an accordian...

True story, I got that (time to throttle close) OSFX.25 out of hard mud....

Got everything cleaned, wing patched, good to go, but where us that 'mushed 'accordian cowl?

That PETE cowl had 'Bounced Back' to it's original shape !

Cool stuff that PETE,

I'll have another beer,
And then tell you about them...

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 01-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Cross Check

Hi All,

My rules for beer:
Four:
-Water
-Malted Grains (Many flavours)
-Yeast, to convert the sweety grains to alcohol.
-Hopps with that to balace the flavours...

Ask your Local Brewer..
What you Like.
They will Deliver. (Even if you pick it up!)

Another Topic Here:

HoodScoops? I maintain our beer delivery vehicles
Spend more on brakes than engine/tranny stuff...

I'll DuctTape/Coro a fake "Super Charger" on one....
To try and improve my 'Downtown Toronto Delivery' times...
(Thirdmost gridlocked city in North America)

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Old 01-05-2015, 05:51 AM
klord125

CP sorry to say I do not. Do you know when he ran?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.