Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Screamin' Toucan flies!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Screamin' Toucan flies!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 06:48 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IMC doesn``t take a lot of torque, and rather than try to have enough travel to go from shut-off to running condition, it might be easier to allow enough travel to flood it out. I`ll see when I get a chance to tinker with the setup on a bench.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:05 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the IMC is the kind that squeezes the tubing, you can use the latex surgical type tubing. That is what we use for the shutoffs. It takes much less effort to squeeze.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Pond Skipper

here is a low obstruction / ease to function in tight places will allow inflight adjustments to fuel flow or shut off

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel meter shut off.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	2054769  
Old 12-13-2014, 04:16 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That is a nice, compact mechanism.
A lot of surface area contact with the fuel line would seem to allow the finest control of flow.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Pond Skipper

These look good so far..... medical grade dont know how long they will last with fuel will cost you 10.96 to find out lol.
2 nipples for fill line and to the tank or bladder. These are small and light enough for the job and can be mounted up close to the NV. Switch or button style can take apart and set up for norm closed or norm open.

Features:
• Metal actuators enhanced robust design
• Ideal for use up to 1/16 Id / 1.58mm
• Plumbing versatility
• Electroless nickel plated for corrosion and wear resistance
• Nut provided for panel mounting
• Precision machined

http://www.pneumadyne.com/micro-valves-p-582-l-en.html

Name:	micro valves.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	2054894  
Old 12-13-2014, 11:00 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by aspeed
If the IMC is the kind that squeezes the tubing, you can use the latex surgical type tubing. That is what we use for the shutoffs. It takes much less effort to squeeze.
No, it's a Perry inflight mixture control. This plus a servo is 10 grams, I'm mounting the two onto a removable plate for access to the tank compartment. It's go on the throttle channel.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Pond Skipper

With the cowl on what did the all up weight ended up to be less fuel?
Old 12-14-2014, 04:37 PM
MJD

Came in 9.6 - 9.7 oz. Pretty happy with that. I've only monkeyed around a bit so far, but I had it sounding like a combat match for 15-20 seconds on the last flight with some low hard circuits. The turning performance is nothing I've ever experienced before. This thing is supposed to whip around turns at 3-4 oz more than that.. it's doesn't seem to have a lot of trouble changing direction quickly at this weight and power loading. But the main comment I have about it, is that all the noise and ruckus aside, this thing is extremely smooth and easy to fly. As soon as I levelled it out after the first launch I thought "nice!" except for the 8-9 clicks of up trim it had in it from my test gliding efforts. Those loops early in the video required no elevator input IIRC.. loop loop loop grab trim loop loop grab trim.. and where is the darn low rate?!! But nothing got too out of hand.

I have triple rates set up on the flight mode switch - it was pretty sensitive after launch. I think low rate is 25% aileron and 40% elevator, wasn't a bad starting point but a bit out of balance, need maybe 1/3 less elevator and a bit less aileron. Medium was plenty for landing and glide aerobatics, IIRC it is at about 65% on both. So if I can it might be prudent to go in a hole on the servo arms if I can and reset all three rates, but if not possible it's not suffering from a lack of torque and response is tight and predictable so far. Ain't no slop except a minuscule click from servo backlash.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Pond Skipper

So not bad if you add the extra servo and shut off still only 10oz ish with fuel your flying at 11oz ish so should still turn on rails.
Yep static glide testing tends to leave you with too much up trim when on the prop.Lol wish I could speak commands to my transmitter such as down elevator trim 3 clicks and such. Sure would save some nervous adjustments on those first crucial seconds on maiden flights. Well I have been working on the Skorch should be able to cover the wing soon I have been draggin arse on the last portion of the setup. CP started his build before the Skorch so Im waiting for his first flight lol thats my excuse. Monday Partly Sunny 77 and light winds arggg.

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 12-14-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:47 PM
MJD

It's building season at the moment, we got a big dump of snow on Friday.

Yeah - "down down down" = three clicks down. That could work...
Old 12-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Pond Skipper

Yes something simple, most of us have talking phone systems and gps in our cars it wouldn't be that much to add audible command controls to trims these days.
Down / Up / Left / Right / Flap Up - Down / Throttle Up - Down. that simple.
Mind you this is more helpful with fast planes but most sport flyers could use a little hands free stress too.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:10 AM
MJD

Actually in the interest of improving that situation I've been wanting to get a decent transmitter tray and try that out. I have a bit of nerve damage that doesn't bother me on the sticks, but is makes dancing around the Tx while supporting it a bit more of a challenge these days. I blew it, I should have put that on the wife's Xmas list two weeks ago!
Old 12-15-2014, 03:22 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by combatpigg
If either Steve Wilk or APC makes it, it has a real purpose. Even if the application is a bit antiquated.
I couldn't get 4.5 pitch to work when I tried it years ago and so "wrote it off" as not usable for .049 - .061.
If MJD can make it work with what looks like a superior airframe and get into the 150's, then that proves me wrong about "practical limits".
Old post of yours CP but I was thinking about props today. I sure took the path of least resistance with the airframe, but that was really the point of the whole thing. Just like all the killer micro gear that's out there now because of lekkies.. there are myriad exceptional small airframes out there too for the same reason. And while this is a $200 airframe, so is a $75 kit plus finishing materials and labor. The work to build something equal as a one-off would be immense and probably beyond my limit of perseverance. I do want to scratch build a full meal deal straight line speed 1/2A.. but half of me says to snag a set of lekkie pylon wings - from CNC machined molds, live hinges, skinny and clean bla bla - and chop the panels out of that. Unless a composite 80 sq in pylon racer wing pops up on the market (or already has and I find it).

Steve WIlk goes right up to 5" pitch in 1/2A speed props - but I tend to think would be geared towards engines hogtied to lower rpm due to limitations, such as 50 year old design etc. In this case, there is enough hp and low enough drag that we should see the same trend like in the 10cc class - the ability to successfully take advantage of higher P/D ratios than control line due to the lack of line drag. Who knows, this may be the first or some of the first evidence of that on the half-A scale. It has me stoked enough that I really want to get at the next model.

BTW since cracking my nice 4.1x4.5, I realized I have one more, but not as massaged as the last one (easy) and two of the 4.75 pitch. I have one of those trimmed and thinned to 3.9 x 4.75. `With the wing loading this thing has the launches are nothing, so don't care about the static pull. It will still be plenty I am sure. Snow`s almost melted again, might get a last chance to toss it to the wind.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:25 PM
combatpigg

4.5 is a pretty big leap from 4...!
What would be nifty is to rig up is an industrial squirrel cage blower that can pump 150 mph air at a running engine....then do bench testing over the winter to see what is what with these engines and props.

Last edited by combatpigg; 12-15-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:49 PM
aspeed

Leaf blower?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:50 PM
combatpigg

Yes, a leaf blower is like a mini-hurricane..!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:27 PM
MJD

This is the one I bought in the fall for starting the 90mm pulsejet. Funny, the exhaust velocity looks about perfect, don't it? And it has speed control.

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]
Ryobi RY40402 155 mph 300 CFM 40-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Jet Fan Blower [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="class: img img140"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 140"]
[TR]
[TD] [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 12-15-2014, 05:35 PM
MJD

Out of curiosity I checked the battery pack - 10S 2250 mAh. That battery is worth more than I paid for the whole thing.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:47 PM
combatpigg

HA..! That's perfect..!
Forget about using 85% load bench props, go for real results with the props that you intend to use.
If you want to make a 4+ pitch prop work bad enough, there is a way.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:36 PM
aspeed

Might be good for getting the pipe length, and prop setup. I have a gas one. Be pretty noisy around here.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Pond Skipper

The engine should be unrestricted if you want real data. The engine could be on a steel tether arrangement to reduce the chance of line break at high speeds. A head wind can be introduced on one side of the circle pattern if desired. The lower arm can be aluminum tube or steel rod such as 3/16th if you want to really reach out in dia the top line is steel heavy gage wire. There would be enough induced drag to simulate more than twice the drag of a plane but still allow the engine to unload very well. You can time the laps you can audio tach the engine you can radar it if desired. A bearing at the top and two in a tube or at least one at the rod.

Name:	Engine Teather Testing Stand.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	2055459  
Old 12-15-2014, 07:14 PM
aspeed

You may as well fly control line speed. That is pretty much what you described. This video is FAI speed, F2A. About 60 ft. lines, 9 laps equal one KM. The time is worked out from that. www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B6MKywAgjY The lines are pretty thick, and slow you down. They used to be .4mm or .016" when I did it many moons ago. That sounds like about 40,000 rpm?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Pond Skipper

Yes the idea is just to set up in the back yard say 6ft to 8ft off the center pole... sit in a chair / drink a beer and test props way less fuss and in the end nothing smacks the ground. = )
Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Pond Skipper

44.1k in the vid =) although I think I saw 46k a few times.
It was steady hitting 44
Old 12-16-2014, 06:25 AM
MJD

Yeah the top of the line F2A engines can peak out in the 43-44k range. insane sound. I'm looking forward to hearing it myself on the Toucan's big brother, that I will try to get together for the spring:

217 sq in, plus..

I suspect this will be fairly sporty.

Name:	Profi f2a.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	2055526  

Last edited by MJD; 12-16-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.