Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Half-A Profile Funfly

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Half-A Profile Funfly

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 08:32 PM
onecb
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE: RE: Half-A Profile Fun fly

I would just like to say thanks to matchlessaero for creating the Half Wit. It has to be the most fun flying 1/2 A I have ever flown. It will without a doubt do anything that the bigger ones will (most of which are above my skill level) It will fly slow enough for me to do some of them. Mine came out at 13.4 oz. But even at 4200 ft that I fly at it will hover and it will go straight up out of it. Thanks again for your insight.
Alvin
Old 03-07-2004, 09:21 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow match 100 posts. Oops now it's 101. If that isn't a testamate to how much we dig this plane I don't know what is.

Rrragman
Old 03-07-2004, 10:36 PM
matchlessaero

Alvin/Darren, I am really glad you and everyone else are enjoying this thing.

Honestly, I smile as big when I read ya'll's posts as when I am flying the prototype

After repairing some crash damage on mine, I managed to get out and fly mine on two days this week (a real rarity for me) On Wednesday after work, it was about to storm and as such, it was perfectly calm, and the air was crisp. I burnt 4 tanks of fuel through the little plane- hovering and harriering around the runway. When you 'lock-in' the hover, it can stay there for a pretty good while. I found myself getting out of a hover on purpose[X(]. I also practiced taking off, climbing to about 30ft up and throwing it into an upright flatspin. I would then spin to the runway and land in the spin then take off again. Yee Haw!
Then I went out yesterday with DickeyBird and his BareCat. His BareCat was really rippin' up the sky. Unfortunately, I got a little overzealous and thumped mine in again. Yet again tonite, it is rebuilt and ready to fly........

I broke down today at the hobby shop and bought another Norvel .061. The in-laws gave me a gift cert at the LHS, and it came in really handy. I plan to break it in tomorrow after work. When it is broken in, it will go in my next HalfWit. Should come out at about 12 oz's this time for improved performance.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:43 AM
rrragmanliam

Hey Match, What are some of your preposed design revisions on your next HW. I shortened the tail on mine by 1" but it's still a touch tail heavy even with my bat and rx basicly at the leading edge. On the next one I was thinking of cutting another 1/2 to 3/4 " off the tail and moving the wing saddle back about 1\2" . I think this would put the CG in the sweet spot without adding any weight and allow for more CG adjustment towards the tail after your first few flights. What do ya think?

Darren
Old 03-11-2004, 02:08 PM
matchlessaero

Hey Darren, I am doing two sets of revisions... the first are revisions of the original Half-Wit design, and the second is a new plane based on the structure and moments of the original Half-Wit (don't want to say anything about the new plane until it is flying successfully and is doing what I want it to).

As for revising the original, yes shortening the tail 1" was on my list. I wanted to do this to tighten the loops and spins even a little more.
On the prototype, the CG was perfect off the board, but this was with a relatively heavy batt pack. I am trying to lighten the tail so that I can use a smaller battery with the result being another ounce gone from the plane. To move the CG, I have tried to 'add lightness' to the tail to help with the CG positioning. I have tried to use less wood (went crazy with a hole saw...) and I have purchased what should have been a lighter carbon tube. Unfortunately, none of the tubes I have gotten have been as light as the carbon fiber arrow shafts I am using... (Terminators).

One other trick you can use to move the CG would be to move the servos forward. I made the 'radio box' area extra large so you can move the trays that the servos sit in back and forth to help the CG. You should have about 1 1/2" of forward and backward room in the radio box depending on the servos you use. In the prototype, the servos are as far back as they could go. In my next one, I will move them closer to the CG.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:31 PM
rrragmanliam

Thanks for the input. The CG on mine is going to be ok. I just don't want to half to "add weight". I'm using a 270 Ma pack (nicd). I thought about moving the servos up also. I origionaly kept the aleron servo back a bit to keep the weight down on the linkage, then then kind of lined the others up off of that one so it looked good. Now I think I'll move them all up towards the LE. I thought I'd be OK CG wise since I lopped an inch off the tail, but ya never really know untill it's all mocked up. I've also considered a lighter carbon rod on my "version 2". I'm using small sections of the carbon tube as routing guides for the rudder/elevator lines. They seem a bit lighter than the screw eyes. All said and done I should come well under 13oz. so all should be fine.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Ragwing
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Half-A Profile Funfly

A while ago, in this thread, I offered to build a Halfwit for a member. I received permission from Matchless and, long story short, I have a built halfwit and no $$ and no word from the buyer in over a month.

I built the plane per Matchlessaero's plans. Firewall is sized to fit a Norvel .061, and the firewall has been extended to aid balancing. The model is uncovered, fitted and hinged. Comes with servo rails, CF arrow shaft, and control horns. I'd guess shipping would be under $10. I know material costs ended up at around $12, and I spent around 8.5 hours building it. I'd be willing to cover the model, but I wouldn't start until after the design contest is finished.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the model send me a PM and I'll get you a copy of the invoice, and we can work from there. I hope I'm not out of line for posting this here.

Derek
Old 04-04-2004, 09:32 PM
rrragmanliam

Ragwing, Man I wish I'd of known this a couple of weeks ago. I cartwheeled my first HW about threee weeks ago and now am well under way on my second. Well I know this isn't exactly the responce your looking for but for as popular as this plane is, I'm sure it will be gone in no time. Good luck

Darren
Old 05-17-2008, 09:04 PM
flyinrog

Bringin back an oldie, I still have mine half built but I broke the carbon fiber arrow shaft on another experimental aircraft...but I'll get to it sometime....Rog
Old 05-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Half-A Profile Fun fly

Funny to see this thread on the first time I've been on the board for a while. I just built a third HalfWit a couple of months ago and lost it on the maiden due to an improperly crimped pull-pull line on the elevator. [:@] No one to blame but myself.

With a good running Norvel, this is a hot little plane.

I need to build another one. One benefit for 1/2a from the rise of small electrics is there is some really nice micro hardware out there that works well for glow also.

Duke
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 AM
jclassic1

Iknow this is an old thread but I have been looking for a smallish Fun Fly plane to build using depron foam and electric brushless motor and the Half Wit is ideal.
I don,t know if anyone has done this yet but I will post some pictures as I go along.

John
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Honker1
My Feedback: (4)

Hello all,

Could someone forward the plans? The link no longer works.

Thanks,

Honker1
Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 AM
jclassic1

I have the pdf file which I will try to upload.Looks like I uploaded it twice

John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sq47362.pdf (62.5 KB, 93 views)
Ec88155.pdf (62.5 KB, 92 views)
Old 12-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Honker1
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks Jclassic1,

That's the ticket!!

Honker1
Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Big Al-RCU

This is Jeremy’s original (untiled) plan.
Attached Files
Nl30258.pdf (489.3 KB, 104 views)
Old 04-07-2019, 05:48 AM
Hansen88

Default Half Wit CG

Is there anyone who still remembers what the cg is for this plane? I dont seem to see it on the plans. Thanks
Old 05-03-2019, 09:09 PM
smallrc

I'm glad this old thread was revived. I had not seen it until now and I have downloaded the plans and hope to build it and use a 400 size electric motor for power.

I would start with the balance point somewhere between 25% and 33% of the wing's cord then make adjustments as needed. A nose heavy plane flies poorly, a tail heavy plane files once!