Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A Contest Participants...

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Contest Participants...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 10:26 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1/2A Contest Participants...

OK guys, now that my plane is done and I have nothing to post about I wanna' see some more planes getting built!!

Keep the pics coming and remember, dont leave it too late. Its allmost March![X(][X(]

So whats happening with some of the other planes.... PICS PLEASE!!

AJC
Old 02-19-2004, 02:31 AM
Rendegade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Contest Participants...

I think I've had to can my ideas for my contest entry this year guys.

I've been trying to get my pattern ship ready for the nats, as well as my ultimate for imac.

And clean my house, and spend time with the GF and go to work.

Of course, I could quit my job, lose the girlfriend and let the house go into squalour then I might have a chance of beating you AJ!!!!
Old 02-19-2004, 04:18 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Real life has been getting in the way but the plans are done for my Piece O' Sheet racer. I'm hoping to start in the next few days. Part of the delay was my falling into dissatisfaction with the pylon racer look. It's been redone in a manner that suggests a Golden Age Racer ala Folkerts/Brown/Firecracker. I'm quite pumped by it and I hope you guys will be too.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm working on the undercarriage and waiting on some parts to arrive from Great Hobbies. After that it just needs covering and radio installation.

Here's what it looks like right now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43488.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	102686  
Old 02-19-2004, 08:17 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Man, that really looks great Andrew. Now, tell us what the clamping fixture leaning against the wall in the picture is used for. [X(]

Just call me Mr. Vacillation on the contest. I've finished the BareCat and hopefully will wring it out and get some video soon. Since it was finished so early and doesn't really hold a candle to the other entries, I started drawing & think building another entry. Then, I got wrapped up in a mag. article and decided I don't have enough time for another contest entry what with spring chores right around the corner. Then I said what the heck, this stuff is way more important than yard duties. Then the adult kicked back in and said, get a grip child, it's ONLY a hobby! Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde stuff. What to do, what to do....
Old 02-19-2004, 10:19 AM
newtech

Well, slowly making progress on the Sky Terier. The fuselage plug got another coat of primer this morning and maybe black tonight. Progress is just about right to be able to start on the mold this weekend. Once I have the mold, construction should go pretty quickly. Here is what the plug looks like at the moment

Name:	Ca82237.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	102726  
Old 02-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Bipe Flyer

That's a fuselage jig. I built if from plans on Howard Sullivan's web site.
http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/
http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/Con.../FJConstr.html
Old 02-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Rendegade

Hey Newtech, noticed there's a lot of unfinished aircraft in your hangar...

how many projects are you working on!!!!

You guys might have pushed me enough to see if I can get off my but and do something, but time and tide wait for no bank balance.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:18 AM
MR Flyer57

Hello AJ and the rest of the Contest Competitors,

I have been very busy, and having the best time anyone could imagine.

I will get to my contest plane, but am having a heck of a time getting information. At least no one can say I just reduced the plans for the thing, because I don't think it has ever been built before.

So what great stuff has been happening you ask?

Well I was elected prez of the club, and better than that we had a fantastic Fun fly, got my new Waco test flown, and even better than that Tim Wiltse-RCU went completely crazy and built me a unbelievable motor. You gotta see this one DB!!

I am building a plane for it. The plane will do double duty as a show plane for our summer meet. We have a Simitar meet every summer. The designer of the type (Bill Evans) comes from Calif all the way to Nevada to join us.
I plan to build a 1/2 A Simitar and use Tim's engine.

So yes I am a slug when measured against the likes of AJ, DB, Bipe, and Matchless, but who isn't!!
I will be getting to it soon and will start a 1/2 A wiseguy thread, so stay tuned folks!!!

Here is the link to the Fun Fly:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Tuff...1534116/tm.htm

Here are pictures of the engine that Tim built, the Waco, and a picture of my .40 Simitar WiseGuy (god rest it's soul), and Bill Evans at our meet (2002)

Check out the motor and be sure to keep the heart pills handy!!!!

Thanks again Tim, this is unbelievable!!

MR Flyer57

Name:	Rp43476.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	103009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23552.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	103010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38585.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	103011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28112.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	103012  
Old 02-20-2004, 04:33 AM
Bipe Flyer

Those engines that Tim makes look too nice to use!

Is that the Global Waco? How do you like it? I just ordered one a couple of days ago.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:21 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wowee! That engines a real looker...

You should do the plane up in transparent yellow and purple ultracoat lite!

AJC
Old 02-20-2004, 08:08 AM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

NOW you're talking! Purty, purty purty....Way too purty to run!
Old 02-20-2004, 08:13 AM
newtech

ORIGINAL: Rendegade

Hey Newtech, noticed there's a lot of unfinished aircraft in your hangar...

how many projects are you working on!!!!
Busted Well, going from oldest to newest:
- 30 year old (YO) original design .25 c.i. mini Kaos - getting a new wing and covering. Has gone through three Fox .25 engines and will be getting a new Norvel .25.
- 27 YO Super Kaos - framed ready for covering. Lost interest in big planes. Will probably finish and sell.
- 15 YO DeBolt LiveWire Champ - Its the orange and black fuselage. This one is like the Eveready Bunny. It just keeps going and going. It has gone through three Fox .25s and two K&B .28s.
- 5 YO BeBolt LiveWire Rebel - Covered ready for equipment. I built this because I had built one when I was 12. Don't care if it ever flies, just wanted it.
- 4 YO original design shoulder wing, in foreground, will be getting a Norvel .25.
- 4 YO bass wood plug for a YF-22 ducted fan carbon fiber fuselage. This is going to use a Kress Jets RK-709 fan and a Webra Speedy .11 engine.
- Not shown is the full size Van's Aircraft RV-7A that is out in the garage. This is what has slowed down the modeling activity for the past four years http://www.newtech.com/n14se/rv7.html

Name:	Ca80731.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	103041  
Old 02-20-2004, 11:27 AM
MR Flyer57

ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

AJC
AJ is getting spooky,
I went to the LHS several hrs before posting and found that nothing in monokote would match this engine, but guess what did, thats right Ultracote. I bought fluorescent Violet and Transparent fluorescent Yellow!!!!

And your right AJ it was a perfect match. Tim if you read this, take a look at the color match, I hope it comes out in the picture. And folks you won't believe this but the picture really does not do this engine Justice!!!

I will be starting on the Wiseguy today, and will set up a thread on it, I shrunk the .40 size plans down to 65% and will be working with that. Full details on the thread.

Hey Bipe, I think the Waco is the sportsman aviation version. I got the smaller one (.30 size) and put a .40 in it.
I could do a build article, but I will just say this was the most frustration ARF I have put together in a long time.
If you read the reports in magazines you would think that everything is just great but I don't like lots of the stuff about it.
After learning a whole lot of cuss words and rebuilding the insides three times, I took it to the field to test fly....on skis.
I had seen one fly before. It flew great and so I had to have one. This one flew as well as the first, really well. Slows down for a very light smooth landing, and will do what you ask in the air. It is a joy to watch in the air and should last a long time.

Hits: great looking, great flier, and some intresting hardware. The fuel proofing under the cowl seems real good. Small enough to keep in one piece, to and from the field. Positive ground handling and good transition on take off and landing.

Misses: manual shows the ailerons being hooked up in a way the would never work. covering is junk, paint on the cowl doesn't line up (it lines up with the side stripes but makes the scallop on the top off center, mine is bad others are ok). Wheel pants are made of brittle plastic and need to be rebuilt or reinforced. I had to build a special battery, one with two sets of two cells and put one set on each side of the tank. I replaced all the N strut hardware, but the old stuff might have worked. Wooden N struts for holding on the top wing, wood is soft but seems to be working so far.

Bipe you would rebuild a few things I let go, but you will find it is a really great plane when you get it all together. They have made most of the changes to the plane on the .60 size and I think it would be a much better build.

If your is a Global then you will be faced with a whole new set of ideas to look at,

Name:	Hf10303.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	103072  
Old 02-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Bipe Flyer

The one I ordered is the .30 size too. I plan to put a .40 on it so I have the option of floats. Thanks for the tips. Now that I know what to look out for it should make things easier.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:03 PM
MR Flyer57

Hey Bipe

The two problems that I faced were getting a workable exhaust system for it. (my pits muffler wasn't doing the trick) and the fact that there is very little room to fit in the radio gear.

If I didn't use an oversize motor, and put the battery pack under the tank, I would have had to add weight to the nose.

You would think with all the room in the tank area that it would be easy to just slip the battery pack into the space, but it was broken up with formers to hold the tank and the small areas didn't allow for the battery.

Think about making room for the battery before you get to the tank instillation, also the tank is one that sticks through the firewall. This large round hole is a pet peeve of mine, I just hate it. If you get the tank where you want it and put the sealer there to keep out the oil, you cannot remove the tank without lots of hassle.

Good luck,
Marshall
Old 02-20-2004, 12:35 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Marshall,

Wow that looks like a match to me!!!! I can't wait to see it on a finished plane!

Later,
Tim
Old 02-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Bipe Flyer

Thanks Marshall, I'll keep that in mind. I don't like that style of tank much either.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:08 PM
MR Flyer57

No problem, Bipe. Keep me up on the construction of the Global kit.

Hey Tim, my wife tried to convince me you used these colors to come up with the ones on the engine

I had to explain to her the magic of anodizing, well as much as I know.

I don't know how you settled on this color, but I think it's time to trade you avatar for the new and improved one!!

I use to think the one by your name was nice, but all else pales next to this Little gem!!!

What me a little tickled to have this one?

I will keep you up on the 1/2 A Wiseguy,
Marshall