Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Built on the style of the Half Wit.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Built on the style of the Half Wit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 08:10 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Built on the style of the Half Wit.

Well I put this together just like the way the Half Wit is built. The root airfoil is 2 inchs thick and the tip is 1 3/4 inch thick. It has a span of 36 inchs and a length of 36 inchs. You can down load the FFF plans from foamyfactory.com. I used the outline on the plans to do a built up model.

I still need to add all of the eletronics and engine along with the landing gear and push rods. As you see it, it weighs in at 4 3/4 oz. I picked up a 4mm carbon fiber rod from Dymond model sports here in San Diego. It is by far lighter then my hunting arrow I used on the Half Wit.

I think it should fly well if I can keep it around 13 oz. I just need to get all of the radio gear.

So let me know what you think.

Dru.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92262.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	117073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85248.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	117074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10398.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	117075  
Old 03-30-2004, 09:34 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Built on the style of the Half Wit.

Very Cool Dru! That is really sexy.....

Frankly it looks a lot like the bird my wife drew... I'll see if I can get the plans printed and scanned so you can see it....
Old 03-30-2004, 10:01 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

MR BUZZARD! WOW! That plane RULES! At this stage, if you are under 5 ozs, you really have something! A stretched out planform has the potential to be one that can be flown with great precision. If you can keep it light, and stiff [so it doesn't do any unplanned manuevers from the whip action of a flexxy aft end] then you are really on to something! Keep us posted on your progress please, I love it when there are other guys out there who are trying new things, especially when it looks like those new things are going to kick *****!
Old 03-31-2004, 11:31 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the pic it does not show the alierons. They are BIG. I have a thick wall 4mm carbon tube running down the fuse. I think I may run into a CG problem with the long tail and short nose. It may come out with a AFT cg so it may end up a little touchy but that makes it fun. I was looking at the HP site and almost ordered a new AP 0.061 for this plane. This is killing my wallet. Now I need to get more micro servos and a new 6 channel Rx. Well at least I am not wasting my time in a bar, right.

Dru.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:43 PM
combatpigg

HEY DRU! I wonder if the rc version of the AME 061 is worth looking into? The AP and BIG MIG are good all around engines, but only produce 18ozs of thrust. The CL version of the AME produces over 24 ozs. I don't know about how well the RC version throttles. Yea I know it's expensive, but when compared to other obsessive/ compulsive addictions [like HEROIN, GAMBLING, HOOKERS, etc] it is quite reasonable! Now if you are doing those other things AND flying 1/2A 3D, then I would say you have a problem.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:08 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhh, interesting thought.......

I was thinking the same thing earlier..... and here is what I have found so far......

I have a Half-Wit powered by an older AME (read broken-in), and my first Half-Wit variant powered by a Big Mig. I have flown both engines on the same airframe (same day, same fuel, same prop etc) to do comparisons...... I also have a new (breaking in) AME that I am running on the same.

So far, it appears that once broken in, either one will throttle just as well (my newer not-yet-broken-in AME does not throttle as well, but that is to be expected). I had the AME (broken-in one) at the field yesterday and flew 6 flights with nary a bobble throttling.
Unfortunately, so far, it does appear that the Big Mig swings the 6-3 much better and therefore gives better hovering performance. IE, the AME will wind out if you let it in level flight, but when hanging on the prop, it seems to bog down some (no, needle settings do not help).
The Big Mig does not wind out as high when in full throttle level flight, but has excellent pull in a hover and will easily punch the airplane out of a hover......

I believe this has something to do with the porting of the engine (5 ports vs 3 and timing diffs). As I now have a few more AME's in my shop, I want to experiment with them some more.... I would really like to try a micro-mousse can muffler on one when I get the time to see if that is the 'boost' the AME needs to get over the timing hump.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:30 PM
combatpigg

Thanks for drawing the comparison. The CL AME is sold as a bladder engine, and it loves to swing a 5.7 or 6-3. The carb version is like having a 500 holley on a 454, it will run but the internal porting is too big for low end torque. That's why I feel that a combo system, bladder from WOT down to 80% throttle position, suction from 79% on down to idle, is the best way to make an AME work. Another way is to go is with a big barrel carb that has the discharge nozzle in a booster venturi, but I can't visualize how to do that with a rotating barrel carb. The mousse can pipe idea sounds good. I don't know how well the carbon pipes hold up on a 1/2A, but it wouldn't be too hard to make something out of LHS aluminum tubing, and machined aluminum end caps.