Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Sporty Shorty contest entry UPDATE (gettin there)

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Sporty Shorty contest entry UPDATE (gettin there)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 10:34 PM
cranky1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporty Shorty contest entry UPDATE (gettin there)

Hello All.
Just about ready for the dreaded test flight!
With the engine, linkages and two servo's it's at 8oz. Hoping for something around 16 when all the rest of the parts are installed. Should be a wild ride at about 27,000 rpm. We'll See!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73989.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	117140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12770.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	117141  
Old 03-31-2004, 02:22 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Sporty Shorty contest entry UPDATE (gettin there)

Wow, she's a beaut'! Nice choice of colours, I wouldn't have thought of that.

How are you getting 27K?

Don't forget to update the contes site.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:34 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HI AIRSLAYER! She's a BEAUTY! Looks like she will be a great flyer. If you are running a GRISH 5-3 @ 27K, you will be spinning your wheels though. A APC 5.7-3 @ 22K will pull the plane much better, and you will get more life out of your servos and glow plugs. The COX 5-3 out pulls the GRISH counter part. If high speed is your thing, a 6-4 MAS cut down to 4.25" works pretty well, you might see triple digits!
Old 03-31-2004, 05:02 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Them's Tennessee Volunteer colors....looks great! Very nice looking plane.

Have you run the numbers on the tail areas? Looking at the pics, the vertical area looks to be a little on the small side. Scoot the CG up for the test flights and stay away from flat spins. [X(] 'Course, if it's a racer, it'll be fine at speed....the small vertical will help keep the tail down when you roll to a knife edge for the pylons. G-e-t r-e-a-d-y.....TURN!
Old 03-31-2004, 08:14 PM
cranky1

Thanks for the positive feed back. I am pushing the envelope on the surface area but have the racers set up with about the same sq. in. Your right on about keeping the cg back a bit for the test. My real concern is the wing loading with the weird cord on this one. What i attempted to do here was add width at the wing root to make up for what I removed from the tips.Also added 2" more span. I usually build the racers with one aileron. As per the design sheet that I use I was able to figure the area for the dual ailerons.
Now on to the 27,000 rpm thing. 26,300 to 26,500 is actually where I tend to be with the silly engines. (pressure -No bladder) The prop on the plane is a Grish 5-4 (warmed up a bit) I think my best props are the APC 4.5-4's or is it 4.75-4 (help me out here) I forgot the darn size!!! [:@]The fuel is SIG 15% all Castor. I also use a warmed over Nelson plug set up. Call me crazy,,,, but the combination works for me.
I am really itching to meet and fly with some of you. I may be able to talk the Big Boss into a weekend road trip. Any ideas on a gathering state!!!!!