Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

where to get a pressure taped backplate???

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

where to get a pressure taped backplate???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 03:52 PM
jboy381-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to get a pressure taped backplate???

does anyone know where to buy a tapped backplate for a tee dee???i know i can drill a hole in the one i have but i don't have a replacement...can you get one that is already tapped(like the norvel)???

thanks john
Old 06-14-2004, 05:48 PM
DesignMan

Default RE: where to get a pressure taped backplate???

Several manufacturers have made them in the past, but not currently. Keep an eye on E-Bay.

As an alternative, the little nipple on the side of the Tee Dee crankcase is a pressure tap that works extremely well. Here is how to use it:

First, remove the backplate. then turn the crankshaft so the port hole in the crankshaft lines up with that nipple. Then drill through the hole in the nipple all the way through the aluminum crankcase. Withdraw the drill and crank the engine over a couple of times to clean off the burr. Flush out the bore of the shaft to clean out any aluminum crumbs.

Now the trick is to get fuel hose to stay on that slippery nylon nipple. Several ways to do that.

Best: Take a 2x56 T-nut (blind mounting nut), thread it onto a long screw, and put the screw into your drill. Use a file or stone to remove most of the flange, but leave a bit of a ledge to bite into the inside of fuel hose. This makes a great nipple that will screw onto the plastic one and seals well. A bit of Goop adhesive would be good insurance.

OK: if you are very careful, you can score 2 or 3 rings around the nipple with an X-acto blade. Just enough to see, all you want is to allow some bite for the hose to hold onto. Clean the nipple and tube with Acetone before assembly to get the best friction. A wire wrap over the outside might help too.

I have used both techniques. A couple of ideas I haven't tried, but worth trying would be to Goop some brass tube to the nipple to extend and enlarge it. Or, perhaps just Goop the fuel hose directly in place?

This pressure tap has worked great for me in the past, and is much more forgiving in many ways than the backplate tap. And you can easily cap or seal it if you don't like it later.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:14 PM
jboy381-RCU

thanks DM i'll give it a try...

john
Old 06-15-2004, 05:05 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you really need one, I have quite a few since my trip to Toledo in April...

AJC
Old 06-15-2004, 05:49 PM
jboy381-RCU

cool AJ how much???

john