Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for plane for OS 26 4st?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Suggestions for plane for OS 26 4st?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for plane for OS 26 4st?

Ok, not exactly 1/2a I know, but you guys are my small plane resource. I just picked up a like new OS .26 4 stroke off a guy on another board. Was a pretty good deal so I took it, but problem is I don't have a plane for it (put the cart in front of the horse so to speak).

I figure its about equal to a .10 to .15 2 stroke, so I'm open to suggestions for something that needs the 4 stroke sound in that size range.

Thanks,
Duke
Old 07-28-2004, 06:16 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Suggestions for plane for OS 26 4st?

i think it would be a perfect match for the sig scamp, the green plane in pic (google image search)

45" span molded foam wing, 3 channel and can handle standard flight pack. i built one as a kid but due to way too much epoxy and paint it wasn't too hot with the recommended OS .10FSR....an OS .28 FSR turned it into a real performer. built light it would be real sweet with a 4-stroke. at some point i also built an straight (no taper) balsa wing for it.

i can scan the plans and root/tip profiles if you want. i don't think sig has any more of the foam wings but there should be some out there if you search...the original dura-plane[:'(] used the same wing.

dave

edit: forgot the picture
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31722.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	158375  
Old 07-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Dukester

Nice looking model, but I was thinking maybe something earlier golden age-ish sort-of-scale. Or maybe Cessna, Citabria, Aeronca-ish?

I guess I'm looking more for a project than anything else.

Duke
Old 07-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT
i think it would be a perfect match for the sig scamp, the green plane in pic (google image search)

i don't think sig has any more of the foam wings but there should be some out there if you search

dave
SIG had 4 planes in the series: Super Sport, Klipper, Colt and Scamp -- all used the same injection molded tapered wing. I built the Scamp (it weighed a ton -- well, maybe 1800 lbs) with an Enya .15 TV III. Flew like a dog, but was pretty on the ground. The wing is still available, SIG part no. SIGRPFC500 for $15.00.

The Scamp fuselage (give it a diet) and a constant chord built up wing would be a nice combination.

the "other" Andrew
Old 07-28-2004, 10:45 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How about a Golden Oldie 20 bipe? I built two of them with semi-symmetrical foam core wings with a .40LA in one and a .35FP in the other, but the original construction article used flat bottom built up wings and states that it is designed for "little OS 20 and Surpass 26 4-stroke engines". It is a wonderful little plane and it looks great! Fred Reese kitted it, but I don't know if it is still available since his passing. The original construction article was in the April 1999 issue of RCM.

I've attached a picture of two that I built from plans.

Name:	Ki19761.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	158512  
Old 07-28-2004, 11:43 PM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duke, keep us posted on the performance of that little engine. A local trader has one and I have been eyeing it.... I've never had a 4-stroke before....(in over 20 yrs of flying)
Old 07-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Dukester

That little bipe is just about exactly what I had in mind. Something with some style that would have looks to fit the 4 stroke sound. I'll have to look into finding the plans.

Matchless, I have just gone 4 stroke and this is one of my massive stable of exactly two 4 strokes. I have a Seagull Spacewalker that I picked up a big one for and then I saw this one on RCGroups for $60 shipped and I couldn't pass it up. I'll let you know how it does, but I expect it to have the power output of a hot .10 with the torque of a .15. At 9.5 oz, its 3 oz heavier that a comparable .15 but it is a 4st after all.

Duke
Old 07-29-2004, 01:05 AM
Bipe Flyer

I always believed the hype that 4S engines were whimpy compared to 2S, until I bought one. I bought a Saito 100 and while it may have less HP than a .60 to .90 2S, it more than makes up for it in torque. The really nice thing that I've found is that four strokes have a much more useable power range and the ability to spin a larger prop yeilds more thrust despite lower RPM. Four strokes probably out-perform two strokes in any throttle setting other than wide open.

I've got 3 4-strokes now and I recently came into posession of a HP 49VT which uses overhead rotary valves. It's a little heavy and proably not near OS and Saito in terms of power, but it'll sure sound nice in a SE5A or a Pup.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:04 AM
Bipe Flyer

Here's another suggestion - an Adrian Page NewBee.
http://www.adrianpage.com/newbee.html
Old 07-29-2004, 04:38 AM
Big Al-RCU

Duke, oddly enough I just (last week) did the same thing except in reverse order. A local salvage store acquired a large hobby shop inventory and dumped it at 50 - 60% discount. Picked up a Great Planes Slow Poke and THEN got an FS26 four stroke for it. Since it was an impulse purchase and I haven't put it together yet, I have no idea how it will work out, so I am following your thread with interest. BTW my son has an FS26 and it is a little jewel. He has it in a Tiger Moth about 45in span. and everyone that sees it fly falls in love with it. No strong points, it just runs (and sounds) like a little sewing machine. You have to like it for it's charm. Iv'e wanted an excuse to get one for a while now.
Al
Old 07-29-2004, 08:41 AM
Dukester

Those are three great options. Have to think a little more about this. I've always like the Slow Pokes and that Newbee is close. Also, you see those Geebee Tiger Moth kits around every once in a while and they are about the right size for this. Have to think about it, but I'm still leaning towards the Golden Oldie Bipe.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Duke
Old 07-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Dan Vincent

This is a good thread...I have an older OS .20 4/S and two HP .21's and would like to find a slow flying model for my local retention pond. Noise is a problem so the 4/S may be the answer.

Hope to see some more small models for 4/s engines.

By the way, those pictures in the Newbee gallery are fantastic.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:08 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

It would likely work well in an old timer. I plan on aquiring an HP VT.21 for this Ben Buckle Quaker Flash. It currently has a K&B .20 that's too much for it.

Name:	Qn38173.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	158682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32427.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	158683  
Old 07-29-2004, 03:26 PM
Bipe Flyer

RCM has the Golden Oldie plans for $8.50.
[link=http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/0001GfbmgNdvGSsuGc7n8t4/store/store-plans-alpha.html?link=/store/store-plans-catalog-tem.html&item=plans:PL-1267]Click Here[/link] to go to the Golden Oldie plans page on the RCM site.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Dan Vincent

Does anyone make a kit or cut parts for the Golden Oldie.

I'm getting old and prefer kits at this point.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Bipe Flyer

You used to be able to get it as a kit from http://www.fredreese.com/ , but since Fred passed away it no longer exists afaik.

Here are some kit cutters.
http://www.litkoaero.com/mod_aircraft_cutting.php
http://www.littlebirdz.com/index.php
http://ak-models.com

There are more, but I can't remember them right now.