Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Tale of: 3 Planes, 2 Daughters, 1 Crappy Pilot

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tale of: 3 Planes, 2 Daughters, 1 Crappy Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 03:44 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tale of: 3 Planes, 2 Daughters, 1 Crappy Pilot

Well the weather here was nice so I loaded up three planes, woke my two daughters up early (for them) and headed out. Stopped at " McDonalds for some "Egg-a-Mac muffins" then went to the field.

I flew three planes, my HalfWit, Simple 400, and HOB Spacewalker. My youngest daughter Jessica, she's 14, took the sticks on all three planes and did a great job. She even managed a round of inverted figure 8's with the HalfWit (she's been practicing a bunch at home with the Real Flight sim). Look out Chip Hyde!! My other daughter ,who has no interest in this hobby whatsoever, sat in a lawn chair and got all her toenails painted while listening to her favorite youngster band on headphones.

The one crappy pilot is me. I managed to put the HW in the ground due to some low altitude hot dogging. Dammage was minor, just a broken prop and bent gear. The funniest part of the whole crash was right after the impact my uninterested, toenail painting, daughter slipped off her headphones and said "Dad you weren't high enough! "From the mouths of babes!" Man I laughed so hard my stomach hurt and she couldn't figure out why.

I know this really does't contribute to the fourm but I thought it was a funny story.

Over and out.

Darren
Old 03-05-2005, 05:18 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tale of: 3 Planes, 2 Daughters, 1 Crappy Pilot

Great story Darren. I'm glad you're close enough to your kids that they go on adventures with their Dad. They'll be out on their own before you know it![]
Old 03-05-2005, 06:01 PM
propbuster

Enjoyed the story, Good to see your kids going out with you flying. We try to make it a family thing too when I go flying. See my post on the demise of my motor glider, I added a couple of pic's., Prop
Old 03-05-2005, 06:08 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now get them building with ya!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89009.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	238526  
Old 03-05-2005, 06:18 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That's a great story, RAGMAN. I'm really impressed with your flying daughter. I'll bet some time with a good simulator makes doing it for real that much more fun. It gives the beginner so much more lead time on how to handle all the,"what if" situations before they happen.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you had a good time Darren. I can hardly wait until my daughter is old enough to give it a try. Right now she's at the stage where she looks at my planes and says "Pane, pane!".
Old 03-06-2005, 12:36 AM
matchlessaero

Great story Darren Hearing about you and your daughter out flying a Half-Wit has put a smile on my face from ear to ear!!!

Well, bend the gear back, throw on a new prop and try it a littler 'higher' next time. LOL
Old 03-06-2005, 06:51 AM
Jollidude
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bipe Flyer,

I have two daughters, one 6, the other 3, your post made me chuckle because my youngest runs around saying "pane! pane!" too when she sees one of mine or an interesting looking photo on RCU. My oldest has played around with Real Flight 2, but is not really interested for the most part. She does enjoy building "planes" or reasonable facsimiles when she and Daddy are down in the workshop (or dungeon as my wife refers to it!). I'm still working on her, but she does enjoy the building aspects of the hobby!

Cheers!

Jollidude
Old 03-06-2005, 09:19 AM
flyinrog

Hey Darren, sounds like you have your own "Colorado 1/2A Crew" which is cool,,you sent me plans of Match's Halfwit, and I cut out the kit and still have it ready to build, just one more plane to put together...good story...Rog