Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Progress on ultimate Cox Cessna build

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Progress on ultimate Cox Cessna build

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 04:06 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Progress on ultimate Cox Cessna build

I first assembled it stock other than the sanwa/cox radio which is back in the closet. Now I am in the process of refitting it with the new gear. This plane really is awesome, I see why I wanted one so bad when I was a kid. It definatly surpasses todays ARFs in terms of detail, fit and finish, and quality. It was definatly made for Cox by Kyosho as has been said in another thread. It has Kyosho on just about every part as well as a sticker on the wing in the box photo. Today's Kyosho ARFs share some of the same charctaristics but there is a clear difference between the two. The OHS construction on the F16 is not as precise or defined as the Cessna.

Funny, this pic makes it look like it has a polyheadral wing, it doesn't though.

The stock QRC is getting yanked and replaced with a Norvel .061 r/c version.

The wing is getting the ailerons and flaps removed for a carbon spar install and hinging. The flaps and ailerons will be functional.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:32 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Progress on ultimate Cox Cessna build

That sure is a slick looking model! Is it plastic?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:39 PM
subarubrat

It sure appears that way! It is a material called OHS that is a 2 part foam base with a plastic shell. Sort of like what Kyosho does today on their F-16 and I think the T33 as well. The difference is that the cessna has razor sharp detail and the final result is so smooth that it looks like it was solid plastic rather than layered over foam. The outer shell is very ridgid and ding resistant, yet the plane remains light. Planes like the Kamdax DF jets are nice, but made out of this OHS they would be 10x more durable. Perhaps this is some sort of lost technology.... Also, after 20 years of sitting, there is no yellowing or fading anywhere, every piece looks freshly produced.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:27 PM
combatpigg

YAh, I can tell from the photos that it is impeccable, I think the ZAGIs have a similar construction? DB is probably this >< close to perfecting the technique in his garage, completely automated, of course!
Old 04-15-2005, 10:11 PM
subarubrat

Unfortunatly what doesn't show up in those pics is the detail such as the grooved flaps and tail surfaces. I will have to snap some closeups.

OH, and less I forget. Tower has some 1/2a steerable nosegears but no spinners for 1/2a that have the right size hole or diameter. The LHS doesn't have anything close either. 1/2a parts aren't as available as I remember them being. Anyone have any sources for a steerable nosegear and spinner for this project.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:29 PM
combatpigg

You can make your own with a maple block and wind some music wire around a phillips screwdriver shank. The steering arm is made from threaded 2-56 wire that is wrapped and soldered around the LG wire. Use aileron linkage to do the hook up.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:19 PM
subarubrat

It's done, with the exception of the steering gear and tank that arrive tommorow. Final weight is just under 17oz (including tank and nosegear). The original weight was 22oz so I am exactly 5oz lighter than stock with:

Aileron, elevator, rudder, throttle, flaps, steerable nosegear, brakes, and throttle. The norvel 061 is the engine used. Pictures will be up tommorow.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:49 PM
subarubrat

Pics and report of the maiden:

The performance was everything I hoped for and more. It taxis out nice and smooth and when you open the throttle and release the brakes with about 15deg flaps it comes right off the ground in a very scale like manner. The flight envelope is amazing. With the flaps up and full throttle it tears around like a warbird. It has unlimited verticle and is capable of any aerobatics that I can perform. It will cruise and perform mild aerobatics at just above idle. About 5 deg flaps helps keep the speed down. Landings are just incredible. At a dead idle and about 20deg flaps it floats in and the roll out is very short with a touch of the brakes. It is amazing what a difference 20 years makes when you can have a full house 049 that flys like a nice 40 sized scale model with a 60 on it.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:58 PM
combatpigg

It sure turned out nice! I would like to know what your secret is to get an .061 to pull 17 ozs with unlimited vert though[X(]!
Old 04-28-2005, 11:06 PM
subarubrat

Hey, you tell me I haven't touched a 1/2 a since I was teenager! The plane weighs in at about 16.5 oz, I rounded up to 17. If my kamdax DF Mig is pushing 15Oz thrust then it stands to reason that a prop would produce 17 plus. I can promise you this much and video if needed, that this SOB hauls right upstairs with no problem. I could not be more pleased with the outcome. I am using a wal-mart kitchen scale so the weight may be off a hair but I can't imagine it being too much off.

BTW, engine is stock, with whatever washers it had, prop is Windsor 6x4 and fuel is 25% nitro heli fuel.