Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

can this work

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 03:52 PM
zerop51
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can this work

hi
i found a few websites that have parts for engines. i believe they have everything for the engines on site i found was http://www.mecoa.com/rjl/c15/c15-parts.htm?id=105 and i was wondering if this was every thing for the conquest. i chose the parts i believe to be for a complete engine and the price was 300$. is this how much you can buy a brand new one? or would it be easier and cheaper to buy a old one a fix it?

i also went to www.coxmodels.com and they seem to have everything for some of the engines too.

thanks
zerop51
Old 06-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: can this work

I'd check with MECOA as to what is actually available before getting out your checkbook.

Jim
Old 06-13-2005, 04:58 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If I had a CONQUEST .15 with some emotional attachment, then those repair prices seem pretty fair. On the other hand, I would go have a good, long, look at the K&B .18 for a HIPO .15 sized motor.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:36 PM
fireman7875

...and it just so happens that I have a K&B .18 for sale on Ebay right now! CP is right. It is an overgrown .15 and has the power to prove it! Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

If that doesn't get you there, it is item # 5981695784

Take a look it costs a whole lot less than a bunch of Conquest .15 parts will.

Brian
Old 06-14-2005, 08:16 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

If you want to send people scattering, check this .15 out- http://www.planethobby.com/
Old 06-14-2005, 09:14 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "K&B" 18 is really a Toki 18. It's not that awesome at all.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:24 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Also, without the tuned pipe and with muffler, it's going to be even LESS awesome.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:36 AM
ptulmer

Taken directly from MECOA's K&B page -
K&B Manufacturing
America's oldest and largest producer of engines. Still MADE IN U.S.A.
Now even better quality by being produced with MECOA's lastest machinery.

I assume that means the K&B .18 is really a K&B and not a "Toki".
Old 06-14-2005, 12:45 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

Interesting, I'm going to have to check this out. Fireman, I completely forgot that I have a NIB Toki .18 that's part of the fan unit I bought for a Pilot ducted fan kit. Any chance you and I can meet up, perhaps at lunch time, to compare my Toki and your K&B? If these things are interchangable, all sorts of interesting possibilities have opened up. I work in RTP off of South Miami Blvd.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:13 PM
combatpigg

Let's make sure that we're making apples to apples comparisons here. When it comes to .15s, first you have to consider weight. A CYCLON .15 weighs 119 grams, what's that, just over 4 ozs? It can spin a tiny prop over 30K, great for a small speedy application. There are other .15s that weigh as much as a .35 that produce monstrous power with small props, again good for larger, speedy projects. The great equalizer is when you bolt on a sport sized prop for your typical sport plane, many of the hot .15 engines aren't so hot any more when used like this, and many can't sweat the load. When it comes to .15 sized engines on down, the application has to be considered more when making comparisons, than some of the larger engines that can perform well just about anywhere you put them. The CONQUEST .15 falls into a niche where it is amongst the heaviest and more powerful .15s, and the price is pretty good. If you are into a sport combat or racing club that has a .15 limit, or just want a hot sport engine, these are pretty good engines, and I would spend up to $60 to get one running. Otherwise, I would keep my eyes peeled at auctions for old QM .15 type engines being sold by reputable dealers. I can personally vouch for the TAIPAN and SUPERTIGRE as being engines that can spin a 7x6 well over 22K. So far all I've heard about the K&B .18 is anecdotal opinion, but I haven't seen any first hand rpm / prop figures yet, to back up the RCU run sheet.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:27 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Taken directly from MECOA's K&B page -
K&B Manufacturing
America's oldest and largest producer of engines. Still MADE IN U.S.A.
Now even better quality by being produced with MECOA's lastest machinery.

I assume that means the K&B .18 is really a K&B and not a "Toki".
UH, no. SOME engines are made here, some not. MECOA sells all sorts of engines.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:36 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a nice, much less expensive alternative would be the MVVS .15. looks to be copied from the conquest/rossi but with a fatter crank.

stock timing is crap but some shims and a bit of exhaust porting make it scream...

dave
Old 06-14-2005, 01:37 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Interesting, I'm going to have to check this out. Fireman, I completely forgot that I have a NIB Toki .18 that's part of the fan unit I bought for a Pilot ducted fan kit. Any chance you and I can meet up, perhaps at lunch time, to compare my Toki and your K&B? If these things are interchangable, all sorts of interesting possibilities have opened up. I work in RTP off of South Miami Blvd.
Totally interchangeable, though you need to look at sideport-rearport issues, and there are several different Toki heads, the later model has a round exhaust port cast in, the older has a rectangular port with a bolt-on exhaust manifold which was more fragile. Toki(Shuwa Industries) makes engines for a lot of people, like Fantom, HPI, etc. I could not name all the brands.
Otherwise, parts are compatable.
Don't break up the TOKI fan and engine set, use it for what it is, everything works together, if you want to, you can get at least $100 for it and get a serious 15 engine made for prop drive instead.
But parts are interchangeable, yes.

As I heard it K&B was GOING to be working with them as a US distributor but things did not pan out and K&B assembled some engines from parts they were sent from Japan. Randy L told me as such, but don't quote me direct on all the details of that deal, I may not be remembering everything correctly.

I had my engine Guru break down and blueprint a few Toki 18 engines for me, he said they are very good inside, it's not Nelson or Novarossi, but still good stuff. I have maybe 600 flights on 6 toki engines, they have been very good to me, very reliable, but it's not really an exotic engine, just a good one.

If you want exotic, the Novarossi and such, they really scream. Different story. One is a $60 engine, one is a $250 one!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:57 PM
fireman7875

ET according to Clarence Lee's product review of the K&B .18, the engine IS made in the US.

"All K&B engines are being manufactured in the K&B Monrovia facility. The first newly designed engine to be manufactured in the Monrovia facility is the K&B .18..." Clarence Lee, RCM, June 2002 p.38

So maybe it's more like the Toki .18 is really a K&B .18.

In all fairness, Mr Lee states that the power figures he derived were "nothing spectacular" but "resectable". Of course, I have to wonder what he is comparing them to... other .18's (they are relatively few), 20 size engines, .15's, what? I would compare it to .15's because that is the size airplane I would use it on. With that said, I can tell you first hand that it far out pulls any .15 I have had.

Brian
Old 06-14-2005, 07:29 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

The eminent Mr. Lee is incorrect, or, more likely, he was told a mistruth. Unless "assembled in the USA from Japanese parts" is made in the USA. Maybe MECOA actually DID make some parts, dunno, but don't think so.
As far as the Toki engine being made by K&B, you have to laugh a little bit! No WAY! Shuwa Industries is one of the largest engine manufacturers in the world, like I said, they "ghost write" engines for many other people, if you look closely, you will see other (mostly car and boat) engines that look an awful lot like the "K&B" 18.
And ask yourself WHY K&B would design an engine with a pull start, an 18...they already make a 21.
As far as Mr. Lee's assesment of the engine, I would say he is right on..."respectable" performance. Not "outrageous" or "hot" or "snarling" .
It also is really a buggy engine, and was designed from the start to use a tuned pipe, sticking a muffler on it and expecting it to be great is a tall order.
With the DF setup, you would not even THINK of flying without a pipe, the difference between pipe and no pipe is dramatic.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:51 PM
ptulmer

Just got a reply from MECOA. It was brief but answered my questions.

Mac Products has a tuned pipe for this engine.
Pull starter and carb came from Toki.
1.15 HP with 30% nitro and tuned pipe
Soooo.... Clarence Lee was correct and MECOA doesn't lie about their engines. There ya go! Looks like a really nice engine for the money.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:58 PM
combatpigg

This is good news! For about $120-130, piped and all, this deal would be great for a high powered .15 project. Have a look at the CYCLON website though, they have some great interior views, you haven't seen a stuffer backplate until you've seen theirs'.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:01 PM
ptulmer

CP, they still didn't answer my question about where to get a header or whether it's compatible with another engine. I'll let you know when they answer again.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:59 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Soooo.... Clarence Lee was correct and MECOA doesn't lie about their engines. There ya go! Looks like a really nice engine for the money.
Yes, they do. All the time. Ever dealt with MECOA? They lie pretty constantly, actually.
At any rate, this engine is a Toki 18.
Go buy one. See for yourself.
I'm not going to argue the point with you, you have way too much time on your hands.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:34 PM
ptulmer

I'm not going to argue the point with you, you have way too much time on your hands.
Nope, I research before I buy since I got stung by the russian engines that you liked so much. That's also why I would believe MECOA instead of you. Sorry, but you built your own reputation with me.

I think I will pass up these engines until I can find someone with more info. MECOA can't answer my header question to my satisfaction. And I've got a Novarossi that I'm about to start the airframe for. So there's time.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:39 PM
piper_chuck

UH, no. SOME engines are made here, some not. MECOA sells all sorts of engines.
Yes, under names other than K&B.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:48 PM
piper_chuck

Yes, they do. All the time. Ever dealt with MECOA? They lie pretty constantly, actually.
At any rate, this engine is a Toki 18.
Since you are so sure of yourself, why don't you post a few pics of the 2 of them. Not from web sites, from the 2 you have personally examined to prove this point to yourself. So far, the only evidence you've sited is alleged conversations you've had. Got any direct evidence, or just your speculation?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:35 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Um, okay. You guys are right. The K&B 18 is made in America, and ripped off by a Japanese company who, in turn, sold the same design to about eight other manufacturers. It's a snarling beastie, worth a "long hard look". You should buy one. Lots of them.
Me, I only have eight of these, including a few that are dead, I only have some 600 flights or so on this engine with the Tokifan, across a half-dozen different airplanes. *** do I know about it? Not a thing.
Call them up. Buy some of those engines. Go for it!

(Shakes head sadly and walks away...)
Old 06-15-2005, 11:07 PM
ptulmer

Yep Chuck, that's about the same response I got about the russian engines. Which is to say, no response at all. I usually take a man at his word until it's shown to be worth what I paid. BTW, the russian engines claimed over 26k, but the intake was over half blocked by the crankshaft case. It wouldn't even crank up. But ET will still claim it's a great engine and I'm some fool that just fell off the turnip truck.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:15 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Yep. You are right and I am wrong. I made the whole thing up.
Go ahead and buy that K&B 18, it's a totally different thing from the Toki, and I have no idea what I am talking about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.