RCU Forums - View Single Post - can this work
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 01:13 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: can this work

Let's make sure that we're making apples to apples comparisons here. When it comes to .15s, first you have to consider weight. A CYCLON .15 weighs 119 grams, what's that, just over 4 ozs? It can spin a tiny prop over 30K, great for a small speedy application. There are other .15s that weigh as much as a .35 that produce monstrous power with small props, again good for larger, speedy projects. The great equalizer is when you bolt on a sport sized prop for your typical sport plane, many of the hot .15 engines aren't so hot any more when used like this, and many can't sweat the load. When it comes to .15 sized engines on down, the application has to be considered more when making comparisons, than some of the larger engines that can perform well just about anywhere you put them. The CONQUEST .15 falls into a niche where it is amongst the heaviest and more powerful .15s, and the price is pretty good. If you are into a sport combat or racing club that has a .15 limit, or just want a hot sport engine, these are pretty good engines, and I would spend up to $60 to get one running. Otherwise, I would keep my eyes peeled at auctions for old QM .15 type engines being sold by reputable dealers. I can personally vouch for the TAIPAN and SUPERTIGRE as being engines that can spin a 7x6 well over 22K. So far all I've heard about the K&B .18 is anecdotal opinion, but I haven't seen any first hand rpm / prop figures yet, to back up the RCU run sheet.