Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

SNOWshoe D.N.U. CANADIAN Edition

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

SNOWshoe D.N.U. CANADIAN Edition

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:21 PM
D Bronk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SNOWshoe D.N.U. CANADIAN Edition

.Yes New engine .The 0.074 was ,just as dirty.I`ll never Run ,a "NEW"engine out of the Box again.That`s 2 in a row that were dirty like that..Not sure, if its bad luck, or, Quality control.I`m sure it would of Blown ,that ***** out ,and ran just fine,but at what cost to longevity??...I managed to get 2 ounces of fuel through it ,before the sun went down.Couldn`t get much more, than 16,000 RPMs,between rich, and ,peaked runs.But I didn`t expect to see ,it`s full potential at 2 ounces of fuel.She`s still a bit tight..

got a video to edit, of the Run, and then ,I`ll post a link.It started well..Popped ,and Spun ,on the first 2 flips.Then ran the entire tank dry on the 3`rd flip..I bought the Starter spring for this engine..That works good too..over all I`m happy with the Over-Haul...Back in a while..Dave
Old 07-18-2006, 01:06 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Dave,

Just saw this thread. Super great colour scheme. You have a flair.

On the other thread you showed a new Norvel apart after cleaning and I thought 'Whut fer," but that dish next to it makes me a believer. Thanks for that.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:22 AM
D Bronk

Here`s the link to the video.Nothing special,but I did find something very intresting.See if you can spot it.Sort of answered a couple questions for me,too..[X(]

http://media.putfile.com/0061--BigMig

I`ll set the throws, like you say PT. I`ll probably run,2-3 more tank fulls through the engine.Before bolting it back ,in the plane.

Andy that dirt, is 2, for 2 ,new engines like that..I`ve heard of, other BRANDS, AND, SIZES OF ENGINES, being dirty like that too..I`m thinking, a person has nothing to lose,and,a LOT To Gain, by giving their engine ,a Pre-Run Cleaning before "Break-in".On this engine, I even refrained from ,flipping it over, with my finger.Over-kill, Well,maybe..I use lacquer Thinner ,for solvent,and CombatPigs SONIC CLEANING method.That consists of my Air sander(DA), with ,a yogurt container, taped to the sanding pad,and filled, with the Thinners.Simply turn on the sander ,and, let it shake ,for a couple minutes.I just do 1-2 parts at a time ,otherwise you end up ,Shot Peening ,every part, in the container..Dave

P.s. on this engine ,I used Engine Assembly lube ,for lubricating, Crank and Rod..I`m hooked on that now too.The cylinder,and o-rings were lubed ,with a couple drops, of castor oil..This lube, is the stuff ,I assemble, large 6 cylinder Outboard cranks, and rods(they`re all needle bearing supported).It washes clean out, as the engine is run, and the Castor oil, takes its place.No Dry starts, this way.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:32 AM
AndyW

Dave,

I generally take the back plate off and do a visual but it's now obvious, that's not enough. Thanks again.

Re the video. It looks to me that the engine ran stronger without muffler pressure by about 500 RPM. What size, brand of prop ?

Engine Asembly Lube,,, from Crappy Tire?
Old 07-18-2006, 04:11 PM
D Bronk

Andy I just dropped in to put some info in here..I`ll adress your post this eve.

.I overlooked putting this info for the run in the video link::: The fuel was a mix of 50% Morgan Omega(15% nitro), and,50%, Sig (25% nitro) champion fuels.The The total nitro content would work out to be 20% total Nitro.Prop is, a 6"X3" Windsor..This eve.I`ll do the math, to figure, true Castor,and synthetic ,oil contents....I`ve now gotten a Tach Reading of 19,200 RPMs,on the same prop.[X(].So that was, it`s 2`nd tank of fuel ,since, 1`st Starting this engine,for break-in.I`ve now figured the Capacity of the modified Fuel cell..It can carry/hold 2.43 Ounces..

The next Run, I`ll make(3`rd run) ..will be Same prop, but, I`ll be filling the tank,only with, Morgan Omega 15% Nitro fuel,Oil content of 17% total,of that 30% is castor,and, 70% is synthetic .I`ll be Eye-balling the Tank, into 3 tests.1`st run ,3 head shims..2`nd run,2 head shims..3`rd run, 1 shim..Then I`ll compare the results,and post them here.. Should turn out to be, an intresting afternoon.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:51 AM
D Bronk

Well I had finished my testing ,and got Visitors, just after ,I cleaned of my test bench(picnic table) and brought ,everything, back inside the house.Anyways ,I burned lots of fuel,nearly 15 ounces.I did spend, about 5 hours, at this. I did learn lots.I used Omega 15%nitro,Sig Champion fuels @25%,and 35%, nitro too.Props were a 6"X3"Windsor,5.5"X3",+5"X4" Tornados..I also ran 1 test, with Peter Burfords prop @ 6'X3",Wow, Blew the Windsor,shamefully away !! I also tried ,a Cox Thimble Drome ,5"X3" ,I wasn`t impressed,maybe in the air, it might be better,but ,compared to the other tests, on the bench ,this prop needs ,crutches ,and, a wheelchair.[&:]..I tested every type of fuel,with, every type of prop,and varied the compression with the shims useing 1-3 shims ..I took notes all along..I`ve made, a results chart, of my findings.I hope, it`s understandable ,for everyone..This engine now has a total of 7 tanks of fuel(about 17 ounces) through it, since ,it was first started up.. I`m now uploading a video,it shows, the Best run of the day,and, the first time the throttle, is unwired, from WOT,and manualy operated.I did not put this run on my Chart,but I veered from the flow of things slightly and got a bit more RPMs for the effort..As soon, as the video is loaded, I`ll make another post, with the link,to it...Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49239.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	493591  
Old 07-19-2006, 07:59 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Dave, keep in mind that a harder working prop may spin fewer RPM's. That's good testing, but doesn't show the effectiveness of the setup on a particular airframe. For instance, the Cox 5x3 has been one of my better props on a fairly heavy (17oz) delta. The 6x3 MA would barely get into the air. I might as well have been swinging a popsicle stick!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:49 AM
D Bronk

"I might as well have been swinging a popsicle stick! "

HMmmm,I wonder.!!! LOL..Never occured to me,to test one of those.

Here`s the link..check the Tach,that was the 5.5"X3"running 35% nitro, and, 4 head shims.Throttling is instant.That was the most Rpms, I got, of all the testing done.

http://media.putfile.com/Throttle-Test
Old 07-19-2006, 09:50 AM
AndyW

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Dave, keep in mind that a harder working prop may spin fewer RPMs. That's good testing, but doesn't show the effectiveness of the setup on a particular airframe. For instance, the Cox 5x3 has been one of my better props on a fairly heavy (17oz) delta. The 6x3 MA would barely get into the air. I might as well have been swinging a popsicle stick!

Good on you Dave, experimentin' is lots of fun, isn't it? I agree with ptulmer, you may be surprised at how well a prop pulls in the air despite the low RPMs on the ground. Just look at an APC 6 X 3 compared to a Cox 6 X 3. Way more blade area on the Cox and it pulls far better than the APC despite the latter doing a full 1.5K better on the bench. However, this all depends, even, on the plane you're pulling. Best to just try a variety of props in the air. My favourite for sport flying is the Cox 6 X 3 black, rubber ducky.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:26 AM
D Bronk

..I forgot about Andys` earlier post ,about the Rpms rising ,after taking the pressure line off,in the first video.I was kind of surprised, about that increase too,I`m guessing it`s due, to, leaning down a bit..I was,Even more surprised, that the engine, pulled fuel, Up-Hill.That tank ,was almost completely below, the Height, of the Carburator [X(]She was operating, on it`s own suction..Anybody else ,ever have ,their engine running, with out pressure on it`s own fuel line Vaccum???That kind of makes me wonder, if it was the Taper,that I ground, into the fuel jet??I`ll have to buy ,a new Jet to find out..The other thing is,How low ,can that Tank, really be put ,with no pressure line ,hooked up to it, before it won`t run??.Oh ,Oh,I`m making, as many questions ,as Answers again.

That assembly lube ,was bought through ,an Aftermarket ,Outboard parts seller, that I get my parts from.Since that was the first time, useing it with a Glow fuel, 2-Stroke ,I did test to see, if it would dissolve and, wash out with Glow fuel first.

I`m going to tear ,the engine Down again, and see, how things are looking, internally.Then back into the plane .It`s been pretty windy, around here, for the last couple days so hopefully this Eve.I can give the DNU a Whirl..There`s a few more experiments, I want to try, but ,they can wait,for a while..
Old 07-19-2006, 11:24 AM
KidEpoxy

Dave, the measurement you are looking for is
How many inches of Draw does it have.

That is how many inches it can lift the fuel to use, and is independant of the fullness of the tank. It is measured from the top of the liquid to the carb. So the middle of the tank may be an inch or 2 below the top of the fuel, dont matter. Just as in a tall tank, you may have draw problems with suction as the top of the fuel goes from above to below the carb, from siphon pressure to draw vacuum at the inlet. If you tune the engine & can run with 6" of draw, the tank middle could be 5" below and the fuel can go from -4.5 to -5.5... but I wouldnt fly it like that You go inverted and you get a flood out from the 5" of 'Water'Head pressure . Just like the ole days, pressure expressed in feet or inches of height
Old 07-23-2006, 07:05 PM
D Bronk

I guess ,that`s about it,for it.It`s time...Deputy is upset..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61241.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	495839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54112.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	495840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21113.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	115.7 KB