Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

45" foam wing by Sig for Colt, Klipper and Super Sport

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

45" foam wing by Sig for Colt, Klipper and Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 12:27 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 45" foam wing by Sig for Colt, Klipper and Super Sport

Sig has a wing still around that for now is $15.00. I understand it fit the above mentioned planes but I was unclear about others including the Tipsy-Nipper and tha DH Beaver which also had a molded one piece wing but iare all of them the same wing? I sure would like to see some pics of these planes as they are no longer offered by Sig. Just the wing. Many of these only had an instruction manuel and no plans. I have seen a pic of the Colt but none of the others.

How close is this wing to the Ranger 42 wing? Or is that another story?

I once bought one of those Hobby Shack Cessna 150s that was all foam with a one piece 45" wing. Like the others it was on the heavy side (just the wing) but it flew great on my old ( back then new!) O.S. 15. Way more than enough power.

Robert
Old 01-27-2006, 06:00 AM
burtcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 45" foam wing by Sig for Colt, Klipper and Super Sport

BL: I flew a Sig Scamp for a season or two with an OS 15FP with three channel - RET. It was a pleasant little model. Sig had a number of models that used their foam wing It was kind of a Clark Y airfoil. I don't think it was the same as the Ranger 42.

Since the Sig models really only differed in the fuse. cosmetics and landing gear configuration you could probably do anything you wanted with the wing. The wing may be a bit much for 1/2A, but for an 0.09 or .15 it worked great.

HTH - Steve B.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:50 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Robert,
The older SIG planes used a constant chord version.
I have cooked up a plan for a built up version using the
old SIG airfoil with Compufoil if you want to scratch build one.
If not, use the taperd wing, a pretty fair deal for $15.
Dave
More in this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2917393/tm.htm
Old 01-27-2006, 03:38 PM
chandler_ace

Robert,
As I understand it the Klipper, Colt, Super Sport, and the Scamp used the same tapered, flat-bottom wing that Sig still sells and the other posts talk about.
Here are the pictures out of an old catalog.
Well, I tried to get pictures posted. They are tif format and it won't upload? I'll post them when I figure it out.
The older wing was more simmetrical and constant chord. The planes that used it that I know about were the Beaver, L-5 Stinson, Relic, Stits Flutterbug, Fleet Biplane, R/C Sport (looked like the Super Sport), and the Aero Sportster (looked like a Zlin 526). I am still looking for full size plans of the Stinson, Relic, and the Flutterbug but fritzke was kind enough to send me the 8-1/2x11 so I could build from those. I don't know about the Ranger wing or a Sig Tipsy-Nipper though.
Rob
Old 01-28-2006, 02:01 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, You could send me the tiffs by my email. As a matter of fact this thread was inspired by your list. That and the fact I had found that wing at Sig. I was trying to figure out what I could come up with.
I certainly would like to see pics of all the models that this wing would handle. Its not a bad price at all and I was thinking that I should try it. At least once.

Rob, were the Seasquare scans of any help?

Robert
Old 02-03-2006, 07:20 PM
chandler_ace

Here are the pictures of the later foam winged designs from Sig. I believe the Scamp is the only one that had a separate plan sheet but theyall came with instruction booklets that had partial or 1/2 size parts of plans. They also had fuselage formers shown full size so building from plans (or booklet) can be done.
Hopefully the pictures go through this time!!
Rob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38502.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	401344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60667.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	401345  
Old 02-03-2006, 07:36 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I've had both planes, the Scamp was 20 years ago, and my first Ranger was some time before that, but I also have one I fly at present... The Ranger uses a different wing without the hump at the leading edge center, and I think the chord is smaller, too
Old 02-03-2006, 07:46 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a Beaver kit and started building it before I sold it to a buddy in the club. As I recall that foam wing was very dense and heavy. I don't see using these for 1/2A at all..... or at least my free flight senses tell me "NO!"
Old 02-04-2006, 06:28 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah, the Scamp was something I wouldn't want to try anything smaller than a .15 on...Mine had a Fox .25. The Ranger will fly well with a .049 (my first one would ROG on paved runways with full size gear and a Cox reedie), my present Ranger flies on a .049 Norvel.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:39 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I learned to fly with a Scamp. There's a picture of it in my gallery. It was a great little plane. I used an Enya .15. A friend had a Colt. The person who designed the Colt was in the club I used to belong to and posts here on RCU. I recently acquired Colt and Scamp kits that are still shrink wrapped. I plan to build the Scamp first, and I'll use an OS FS-30.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:34 AM
J5hort

Just found a 1/2 built Sig Klipper kit I bought when I was 15. That is about 40 years ago. Decided to break it out alongside a few other planes in partial stages of completion while hunkered down for Coronavirus. In any event, the foam wing was intact and has some small scratches and dents in it. I am finishing to make smooth for paint. One item that is missing is the tail and rudder. The plans are also missing and I will need to make another. Does anyone know where plans of this tail section might be. I suppose I could wing it (pardon the pun) but would want to try to be more exact.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:05 AM
mgnostic

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

If you are needing a wing for the Colt, Klipper, Scamp or Supersport, Lazerworks cuts a kit for a built up version of the foam wing. I can't find my photo but I had a Colt. It flew well on a Norvel .25.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:27 AM
J5hort

Anyone have a pattern for Sig Klipper vertical stabilizer and rudder? I found a 1/2 built Sig Klipper and it is missing plans and some of the tail pieces.