Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

"Fun-X" 1/2A pattern plane

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

"Fun-X" 1/2A pattern plane

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:03 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Fun-X" 1/2A pattern plane

I just acquired a 1/2A pattern plane I’ve never heard of. It’s a fiberglass fuselage 2 channel (aileron/elevator) pattern plane called the “Fun-X”.

Manufacturer: JGM Glascraft Co., Roseville, Michigan.
Engine: TD .049 – TD .051
Wing Span: 40 in.
Wing Area: 240 sq. in.
Fuselage length: 32 in.

I have only the fuselage and plans. The wings are foam core, sheeted with balsa and the horizontal/elevator is balsa. The ruder is fixed, no landing gear but there is rather large plywood landing skid (possible doubles as a launch grip?) just forward of the wing. While no weight is given the fuselage is not the lightest.

The engine needs to be side mounted, exiting the fuselage on the left side which leaves the needle valve sticking up (based on the way my TD .051 is set up). The drawings depict standard size servos, and a 450 mAh battery pack located in front of the wing just under a 2 oz fuel tank.

Does anybody know anything about this kit? It does have the appearance of the Phoenix series so I’m wondering if this is a 1/2A design based off one of the Phoenix series from the 70’s.

The attached pictures show it with a .60 sized Fliteglass Saturn fuselage for a size comparison – it’s not a small so I wonder how it would perform with a TD (I know CP, it probably needs a Fora….) I would like to eventually fly it as a 4-ch but am limited to the power choice since the firewall is glassed in place (may be a case where electric may be a choice?)

Hogflyer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64180.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	448665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99888.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	448666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39637.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	448667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21781.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	556.7 KB
ID:	448668  
Old 04-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: "Fun-X" 1/2A pattern plane

Hi,

The Fun-X is a scaled down model of the Don Lowe Phoenix series. It would be simple to cut a foam wing from the plans or to get in touch with JM Glascraft as I am sure they can sell you a set of wing/stab cores The plane is built just like any fiberglass/foam plane, just in a bit smaller size. The firewall can be removed w/a Dremel if you wish and you can make a new one to any size you see fit. Personally, I would put a Tee Dee .09 R/C on one of these and have a small missle... If you decide not to build it, let me know... I can always use another pattern ship... LOL...

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft

Old 04-20-2006, 10:44 PM
hogflyer

Deadstick,

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get a hold of J&M and see if I can get the cores. I do have a Medalion .09 with a throttle sleeve I thought about, and have also thought about using a Norvel .074 if I go glow. But having around 20 flights on Half-A-Hec's Re-V-Amped I'm really impressed with electric power on these small birds and right now giving some thought to going electric just to learn more about it.

Any idea when this plane was designed/marketed?

Hogflyer
Old 04-21-2006, 06:25 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Hog,

It has been around for a while.. look on the plans and see if there is a date... have fun,

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft