Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

WHAT SIZE DELTA FOR MY T.T. GP07

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

WHAT SIZE DELTA FOR MY T.T. GP07

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:40 PM
fadmuker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT SIZE DELTA FOR MY T.T. GP07

HI GUY'S
just got a thunder tiger gp07 and i am wondering what size delta will be best for this little gem,
thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 02:28 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: WHAT SIZE DELTA FOR MY T.T. GP07

18"-20" span I'd say. Maybe you need one of PT's Blinks?

MJD
Old 06-13-2006, 03:44 PM
vulpina

iam finishing one of these , but electrik one
easy building , really small delta !
Old 06-13-2006, 07:13 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I woould make it 24" in span and about 20" in length from the front of the engine rails to the trailing edge of the elevons. The TT .07 is kind of heavy, so keep the engine as far back as it will go. The engine rails should be at least 1/4"x3/8" hard maple, and leave them long enough so the engine can be slid fore and aft to fine tune the CG. APC makes a 6x5 sport prop that should make it move out pretty good.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:44 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I woould make it 24" in span and about 20" in length from the front of the engine rails to the trailing edge of the elevons. The TT .07 is kind of heavy, so keep the engine as far back as it will go. The engine rails should be at least 1/4"x3/8" hard maple, and leave them long enough so the engine can be slid fore and aft to fine tune the CG. APC makes a 6x5 sport prop that should make it move out pretty good.
While the Blink seemed like a good suggestion at the time, I had this nagging feeling the structure maybe wasn't quite right for this somewhat heavier engine. Did I read that the TT .07 made decent power and ran pretty well? Can't recall.

MJD
Old 06-14-2006, 04:20 PM
microengine

Wow, that sounds very small. I imagine it would be a real missile - full speed just to keep up!
Old 06-14-2006, 06:00 PM
combatpigg

From what I've read, the TT .07 isn't as powerful as the Norvel .07, and it weighs more. But if it was propped right, and put on the right sized delta, it should still make something fun to putt around with.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:05 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Speaking from experience, the TT 07 isn't as powerful as a good .049. For kicks I put an APC 5.7x3 prop on the one I had and the best I could get out of it was about 16K. My Norvel .061s would smoke that engine any day. On the flip side, it is probably the best idling, smoothest running and best transitioning small engine I have ever seen. My suggestion: build you a nice, lightweight (18ish oz.) cabin model of some sort and hang it on the nose with a 7x3 prop. It'll run great and quiet as a church mouse! It'll even run good on 10 % fuel! Just my 2 cents.

Brian
Old 06-15-2006, 05:58 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TT .07 weighs 3.625 oz with a windsor 6 x 3 prop and my Norvel weighs in at 3.375 oz with an APC 7 x 3..I know the TT isnt as powerful...funny part is the mufflers, the TT is 3/4 oz, the Norvel is 1/4 oz so without the mufflers the TT actually weighs less...trivia, or food for thought..depending, if I could just fit that cool norvel muffler on the TT[&:]..nevermind I gotta ARF to put together...Rog
Old 06-15-2006, 10:46 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toss it an get a TD or Norvell .061[8D]
Old 06-15-2006, 11:06 PM
JasonRP

I wonder if the TT.07 would be a good motor to nitro convert a Parkzone Stryker? I just got one, and they fly great. I was thinking of sticking a Norvel on the back of mine, but it runs so well as an electric, I'm gonna fly it as is for a while.. The fuselage/wing is available for like 20 bucks..
Old 06-15-2006, 11:06 PM
WMB

My first small plane was a Simple 400 with the TT07. If memory is correct, weighed 18oz. Tried MAS 6x3, 6x4 and same in APC. Ran best with MAS 6x3. Used 30% fuel. I thought it was a good combo untill I got it totally wrungout. The verticle was very limited. The plane was smooth and groovy a little goofy rudder coupling. Great in the wind. I quit flying it because it needed way more power. On the other hand, it idled and transitioned excellent and very quiet. I think it would work well in something like the Herr highwing Cloudranger?? On the other hand again, more power with less weight is great. I'd go Norvel 74.

Have fun, MikeB
Old 10-06-2006, 02:05 AM
SquirlNutZipper
My Feedback: (9)

I see it's been a while but if you haven't already decided on what Delta to hang the TT-07 then you might want to have a look at the Thunder Tiger V-bat. Just might be a great match for that engine.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 10-06-2006, 06:44 PM
combatpigg

Either that, or gut the TT.07 and use it as a heat sink for a good brushless motor.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:00 AM
SquirlNutZipper

Not to say anything bad about the TT-07 but it is a bit lower power than the norvell's. However, it's also not supposed to be a norvell. That's why I suggested the V-Bat.

And don't you dare comment on my grammer.[:'(]

Yes Brushless and Lipo's are the future. Twice the run time, twice the prop, that's all I have anymore, (save for some equipment I just found that I was supposed to mail out to Sneasle) yet I can't help feel for the old days of yore lugging around the starting equipment, extra plugs, etc... and not to mention the smell and mess left over. Ahh, those were the memories, the hatred of my ex-wife.

As an example:

My E-flite Ascent which I fit for a TT-07 could only handle a 6x3 folder prop at maybe 14,000 rpm unloaded could get perhaps 5 to 6 minutes of run time during which I also had to keep the engine going. Since I've switched to brushless I now use a hi-max 2812-850 swinging a 10x8 folder at 18-20,000 rpm for only 18 amps draw average. I can also get 8 to 10 "powerups" per charge, shutting off the motor when not needed and glide until I get tired and bring her down or loose all lift. After all is said and done I don't even have to clean up anything other than grass blades from the sailplane.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 10-09-2006, 03:46 AM
SquirlNutZipper

ORIGINAL: JasonRP

I wonder if the TT.07 would be a good motor to nitro convert a Parkzone Stryker? I just got one, and they fly great. I was thinking of sticking a Norvel on the back of mine, but it runs so well as an electric, I'm gonna fly it as is for a while.. The fuselage/wing is available for like 20 bucks..
The Stryker is a great airframe. I also had thoughts of doing a nitro conversion. However todays Lipo and Brushless setups will out do any electric to nitro plane conversion you can think of. A lot of people today are doing nitro to electric conversions.

I used to build hand modified nitro engines for the sedan/truck racing scene in the Portland-Vancouver area. In their day nitro's were the way to go. However that is 6 to 10 years back and electric technology has advanced much more beyond the performance of nitro engines than we could have hoped for in the past.

Today a well setup electric plane will out run any of my hand modified engines. That factor is due to the advent of brushless motors and Li-Po tec.

Back in the day when Nitro's were king the electric setups consisted of Ni-Cad batteries and brushed motors. Heck even my winning rally car was "old school" electric. But, today electrics have surpassed Nitro technology by leaps and bounds.

My suggestion is to keep the Stryker and fly it as an electric and then when you're ready try out a brushless and li-po setup.

Cheers,

Alex