Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Laminating Film Thickness Question

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Laminating Film Thickness Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:32 PM
T_om

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laminating Film Thickness Question

I saw Larry Driskill's laminating film post (nice painting technique, BTW) and did not want to hijack that thread because I have a very basic question re: laminating film thickness.

The film is readily available in 1.3 to 5 mill thickness. Does anyone have a guide to which thickness is appropriate for what application? I am asking here in the 'little plane' forum because you guys should have a better handle on the light end of the spectrum.

Just a basic rule of thumb for say, 1/2A, .10-15, 40 Sport, 60 sport, gliders, etc.

I have never used this film but have lots of experience with the older film offerings for modelers (Monocote, Solarfilm, etc.)

Thanks for any info you can share.

Tom

PS: I have been building and flying for 45 years. Built my own radio stuff 'back in the day' (I mean built the radios too, not just the planes ). Just now returning to the hobby after a 18 year layoff to introduce my grandson to model plane building and flying.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Laminating Film Thickness Question

Hello Tom --

I still have a Heathkit 4 channel and a World Engines Rx I built back in the early 70's.

1.3 to 1.5 mil -- if you go any thicker, it defeats the purpose (aside from being a lot cheaper - about .05 to .06 a foot) of using it as a lighter covering.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:02 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

There was a long thread about Doculam. I think it was on rcgroups. But it was filled with good info and people using it on larger airplanes.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:16 AM
Larry Driskill

I agree with Andrew, 1.3 - 1.5 mil. I have used 3 mil, but adds too much weight.

Even on Fast CL Combat planes (110 MPH and a full load of G's) the thin stuff is fine.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 AM
D Bronk

Welcome Tom..You ,and your Grandson, will have lots of fun together..I know I do ,when I get together, with my young nephews..What are you bulding,flying.? There`s a nice 1/2A trainer,Called the LST, Designed by BipeFlyer.The thread, is at the top of the 1/2A forum menu.Sounds like, you have Scratch building experiance.That plane would be a nice introduction,to building/flying planes, for your Grandson.My nephews are coming to visit this weekend,and ,I should be able to get some video of it, in action/Destruction..LOL .Ptlumer has a nice design, for a plane called the DNU(miniature Ugly Stick), if you want something a little more Sporty,and challenging..I `ve been useing Mono-kote with good results on these little planes..There`s a weight comparison Chart ,of the various coverings and paint .I`ll see ,if I can find it, for you.Hopefully you`ll stick around .You`ll find The folks here,are a Great bunch,From all around the Globe,There`s always someone willing to help, if asked.Kind of feels like Home here, after awhile.. Dave.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Tom,

My current stable of 1.5 mil laminating film covered models includes a Littlest Stick and a 1/4 scale Taube. The stuff never bubbles like the 'cotes, shrinks nicely, doesn't sag in the sun, but doesn't stretch around curves as well. You'll like it.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:28 AM
D Bronk

Here`s a chart of some common Coverings weight .

http://www.skyhooks.ca/cover.htm#anchor363595.

Micro plane, builders, might have other ideas too..
Old 08-03-2006, 07:06 PM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Been meaning to try out laminating film for a while, and I finally tracked down a supply yesterday. Got 2 rolls (minimum order) of the 1.5 mil stuff and it's much thinner than I has expected but exactly what I wanted!

Anyhow, while researching doculam prior to my purchase, I found the following chart comparing Doculam and other covering materials:
http://lee.org/flying/tips/index.html

It's less than 2 thirds the weight of Solarfilm lite (which is unaffordably pricey!), and just less than one third the weight of Monokote! Great stuff!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:45 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure presently how thin the popular off the shelf iron on coverings are exactly but one of the reasons ones first impressions of how thin this stuff is (mine is 1.5 mil Doculam) because it has no thick peel off backside.

Even though it is quite thin it is truly tough stuff. Not at all hard to work with and quite versatile.

Have fun with it!

Robert
Old 08-03-2006, 11:56 PM
T_om

Thanks for all the replies guys. I sort of gravitated to the little plane forum because that was my last great interest before I let the hobby lapse years ago. That and motor gliders. Rekindled now that my 10 year old grandson is interested.

I started to ask my original question in the electric plane forum, but I just didn't feel at home there... Ken Willard was my hero.

I ordered a roll of the 1.3 yesterday from these folks: http://usi-laminate.com/ (I hope I did not make a mistake and get stuff that is TOO thin.)

Just $16.95. Hard to believe how much money I dropped on Monocote, and all the rest of the 'cotes for that matter, over the years.

Tom

PS: I looked out in the garage and found 3 or 4 old ACE kits (Pacer's and Mach None's mostly), an Airtronics Warlock, a Gillow's Tomahawk and a Top Flite Kittiwake. Conor and I will have some fun putting those together but I am going to start him off with a motor glider to keep the 'pace' in tune with a 10 year old's hand/eye coordination.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:18 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good choice with a M/Glider... Not only will you be mentoring a member of the future of our hobby, having Quality Time with your Grandson but you get to enjoy some relaxing flying for your self. My first R/C flights were with an Ace High that we had grafted on an original Big Mig with a tank-mount. Just enough fuel to get altitude then go fly... Hang it in the wind, catch a riser over the bald spot, or if there is nothing there you have to land. Fire it up and start again. I even took it sloping once.