Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Engine For Clancy Lazy Bee

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Engine For Clancy Lazy Bee

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:18 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine For Clancy Lazy Bee

Hi everyone. Know this is not strictly 1/2A but....

Got a really good price and bought a Clancy Lazy Bee ARF (the new model tech one). Trying to decide how to power it. Recommended engine is a .15 magnum, but I was thinking of using micro radio gear and putting an OS .10 LA on board instead.

Another alternative which I have lying around would be an Enya .19-VI TV.

Would the .10LA be adequate? It's a dependable powerplant that's a little overweight but that would probably help with the Lazy Bee since it's got quite a large rear fuselage/tail feathers. Just want to fly around slowly as the designer intended. Was also thinking of saving the Enya for an original Clancy Aviation Speedy Bee kit that I managed to find. Figured the extra power would be better used there.

I have an original Clancy Aviation catalogue that lists possible powerplants for the Lazy Bee as being from 0.049 to 0.15. And in fact, I think the old foam RTF was packaged with a 0.049. Has the new ARF Lazy Bee put on a lot more weight from the old kit? Any guesses how will it fly with the 0.10LA?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2006, 07:00 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine For Clancy Lazy Bee

If you already have the .10 try it...I bet with that wing surface it will float around fine with it...Rog
Old 08-24-2006, 08:14 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for it! I have never had a Lazy Bee but from reading about it you can use almost any power. Apparently it is one of the few planes that will slow down to flying speed after a hand launch .

You might want to consider servos with metal gears due to the huge control surfaces.

George
Old 08-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Ohhh, you're gonna get hooked! Gotta love them 'Bees.

I've had two Lazy's and two Speedy's. Powered with .10 and .15 two-cycles and .20 and .26 four-strokers. I'd have to vote for the .19 - you can always throttle back but I felt like the larger prop that you can swing seemed to help rudder response at low speeds.

Do you have the aileron or rudder version?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:47 PM
bolar

I have an OS .10 FP in mine and I throttle back on it when I fly. I only fly full throttle when I take off. A .10 is plenty for this plane .
Old 08-24-2006, 07:21 PM
efish

Hi guys, thanks!

Did some rough calculations last night and put my projected AUW at just over 900g. Wing loading will be low at that weight. Think the plane climbs with power, so perhaps the .10 is all I need. I've read a few reports on the original kit where the .10 produced good results.

Was looking at the control surfaces, George and getting worried too .... but based on my experiences with a PBF, I think I can get away with a HS-81 type BB micro servo with plastic gears.

Raymond- my lazy bee is the rudder only version, though it seems like an second aileron wing would not be too difficult to build. Will keep the .19 for when I finally get around to building the speedy.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:10 PM
mylamo

Raymond-Id be interested in hearing about the demise of those Bees
I have a Speedy with a Saito .30 and I sometimes wish I could make
it go fast enough to hurt itself.Mine is a bit heavy though and the trim
and habits change on a daily basis. Sometimes it seems that Clancy
is in there somewhere pulling and pushing on stuf.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Everything is relative to what your expectations may be. For example, I switched to the .15 when I couldn't maintain inverted flight with the .10. Yes, I was trying to make the first Lazy fly like it wasn't intended to.

I lost the second Lazy due flying in too much wind. I lost the first Speedy by just plain showing off. No excuses. The first Lazy lived for only 6 or 7 flights and was lost because I used a radio system that had been involved in a previous crash and I hadn't had it checked. All three crashes ended up with the fuselage just a bunch of balsa bits in a laminating film bag. I traded the extra wings. The second Speedy is about four years old now and has numerous flights with its .26 four-strok power source. Love dm Bees!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:03 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

I heard the norvel .074 have the same power as a .10? If so, Trie that! Its really light!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:31 AM
efish

Hi WASP, no, the norvel 0.74 does NOT have the same power - it's more powerful!! I have one of those too and its a GREAT engine! But for the difficulties in getting spares and parts, I would be tempted to get another, if I could find one locally! Actually, think it's much too nice to put on a Lazy Bee - its just not that kind of engine! Just was something to cruise around with on the Bee whereas the norvel is more what I'd consider a performance engine (even if it's just a big mig).

btw, went by the LHS yesterday and was told that Sig was taking over the entire Norvel setup. I know that's always been the case in the states, but norvel stuff used to be a little cheaper when imported drectly from Norvel than from Sig. Think those days are gone. Myself, I've been waiting on a norvel shipment that's a year overdue. My LHS just ran out of 0.061 plugs too, so I'll be running AP plugs on my 0.061 Norvels once my last one goes. Same price, just not as nice.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:10 AM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Dont the cox plugs work in them?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:22 AM
efish

Not sure, but those are even scarcer than hen's teeth over here!!! I've NEVER seen a cox engine in use over here; actually, I've never seen any other 1/2A planes around either. The AP plugs work ok though.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:33 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Norvel says you can get an adaptor to use standard plugs. They do say there is a loss of power but its easier to find a plug! I wounldnt go that route because i want power![>:]
Old 08-25-2006, 05:25 PM
debondme

Efish,
I just finished the Global ARF version, great price from Hobby People. I use Hi Tec HS 81 servos and an OS LA .15, good combination for fun flying. I usually throttle back to about half throttle after hand launch and cruise around. A fellow club member has the same ARF with an OS .10 and it there isn't much difference. One thing to check is the engine thrust. Some down thrust will help keep it from climbing like a homesick angel. Have fun with your Bee.
Dbondme
Old 08-26-2006, 07:20 AM
efish

Hi debondme, thanks! That's just the kind of confirmation I was looking for. Thanks for the downthrust tip too. Have read that these floaters really climb when you throttle up!

WASP flyer - thanks. Not all out for extreme power, but I've come to like my norvel's as they are. Even stock, their power is really something else! Haven't taken a tacho to one yet, but a norvel with an AP plug (and matching head) works just dandy. Well, enough for my newbie sportflying style anyhow.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:13 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: debondme

Efish,
I just finished the Global ARF version, great price from Hobby People. I use Hi Tec HS 81 servos and an OS LA .15, good combination for fun flying. I usually throttle back to about half throttle after hand launch and cruise around. A fellow club member has the same ARF with an OS .10 and it there isn't much difference. One thing to check is the engine thrust. Some down thrust will help keep it from climbing like a homesick angel. Have fun with your Bee.
Dbondme
Hey look his first post is in 1/2A...dude you gotta come up to the Carolina 1/2A Crew Funfly/Pylon race here (just south of Burlington in Snow Camp) and meet the guys.. Dbondme
ha!, thats good my name is Roger Bond, its 09-30-06 ...make plans...Rog
Old 08-27-2006, 01:01 AM
debondme

Rog,
I have already been thinking about picking up another Bee. Maybe I will throw a 1/2A on it and come see you guys.

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

ORIGINAL: debondme

Efish,
Dbondme
Hey look his first post is in 1/2A...dude you gotta come up to the Carolina 1/2A Crew Funfly/Pylon race here (just south of Burlington in Snow Camp) and meet the guys.. Dbondme
ha!, thats good my name is Roger Bond, its 09-30-06 ...make plans...Rog