Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Compatibility in non-U.S. countries?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Compatibility in non-U.S. countries?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:38 AM
dieFluggeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compatibility in non-U.S. countries?

Hey guys, I'm planning on sending a plane to a friend outside the U.S. and got to thinking if there is anything I should be aware of as far as compatibility.

Are chargers, connectors, frequencies etc. universal? Has anyone had any trouble in other countries?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:48 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Compatibility in non-U.S. countrys?

I'd contact the friend first..voltage and outlets are different in Europe, but you didnt say where your sending it...Rog
Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 AM
SGC

Frequencies are the biggy, everything else should be ok. Here in Australia we use 36mhz, i think Britain and parts of europe are 35mhz, so depending on were your sending the gear , the radio maybe useless.
Stewart
Old 11-06-2006, 10:17 AM
supagloo

Most problems are caused outside of Europe and we have to solve them before we can use foreign stuff .
Most of the coutries have 220V/50Hz outlets exept for the UK.
In several countries 35MHz is used for R/C airplanes. 27MHz and 40MHz are also used for other R/C.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:25 AM
dieFluggeister

ORIGINAL: flyinrog
you didnt say where your sending it...
Sorry, I guess I didn't say because he travels almost 100% of the time. Been in Japan, Australia and even CANADA![X(] He wants a plane he can take from place to place but is concerned about equipment. He knows I made a portable plane for the Reedie event but was asking about frequencies, plugs, etc.

I guess voltages and outlets are different but he would have to adapt his own charger as needed. Thats a good point Rog.

Other than that, can you think of anything else?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:42 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Well Mike, I was gonna tell you that if want to plan on coming to another funfly in the greater Burlington area again, you could just send/mail a ready built plane to me to bring for you as opposed to making it a convertible although it is pretty neat the way you do it...Rog
Old 11-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There are no problems using it in Canada. Same electricity, frequencies and equipment as the US.

Here's a link to a list of electricity in different countries.
http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

I think that most, if not all, manufacturers use the same JR style servo plug now. Most of the stuff in North America is Japanese, Chinese or Korean. European manufacturers like Graupner and Multiplex also use the same servo plugs.

Like was said earlier, the biggest thing will be frequencies. The best thing to do would be to contact the governing body of the country in question (IE USA = AMA, Canada = MAAC, UK = BMFA, Australia = MAAA, etc.) and find out what they use.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Compatibility in non-U.S. countries?

Well Mike, I'll tell youse what I think. Let that lazy recipient-person, wherever he/she lives, use his/her own durn receiver. Since you surely planned to put the the little thing right on the CG - so a little difference in weight wouldn't change the way your creation cavorts about the firmament anyway.

I mean c'mon what has he/she done for you lately anyway? You send him/her a product of your skill and passion for the hobby and them/they can't put a little effort into making it fly! Boy, I'm really getting burned thinking about them/those bums thinking you should charge the battery! By jingo if who/whom can't figure out how to get a few amps into a little battery, well it can just sit on the ground. Whew, sorry but I just can't sit by and let him/her take advantage of you. What nerve!
Old 11-07-2006, 12:59 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Well, around Asia, typical power source is 240V off the mains. Regulated 12v DC power supplies are cheap and plentiful as are adaptors for almost all countries.

As far as I know, JST, bullet and Deans connectors are as ubiquitous in Asia as they are in the States. Old style Tamiya cnnectors still pop up now and then but are almost always changed.

Frequency wise, its a mixed bag, but at least in South East Asia, legal freqs are rarely enforced - e.g. 29mhz is supposed to be the only legal one here, but its definitely in the minority. If it's an issue, then Spectrum may be the answer. My guess would be this is the only real issue to be worrying about.

Have tried travelling regionally with a plane or 2 to a couple of countries with no problems.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Japanman

Its 110V here in Japan and 50 OR 60hz depending on where you are. 36Mhz is not usable here and things are pretty strict to do with frequency.

Stefan
Old 11-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

OK, OK, I'll try to say this straight and not be funny.

Here's what I think youse-all are saying;

1. 4.8 volt nicd or nimh packs are used universally and can be charged with no trouble as well - anywhere.

2. That "everybodies" servo connectors - are "universal".

3. But it sounds like people use different (not "universal" 3-pin connector) battery to receiver or switches. However, . . .

4. . . . I thought all receivers used that same pin spacing for servo and battery connections. So, . . .

5. . . .Will a "standard", USA-type, "universal" battery pack plug fit into everybody's receiver? (Did I make sense or did I just confuse myself more?)
Old 11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
SGC

yup Raymond,
errrr thats a yes std 4.8v receiver battery plugs should fit most/all reciever /battery/switch harneses, I think the reference to deens plugs and tamiyu and bullet conections are for electric flyte packs- or is it hmmmmmm
Stewart
Old 11-07-2006, 10:46 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

No one has mentioned the trick systems that use plug in modules and synthesized recievers yet.

Obviously if he's going to travel all over like this he'll need to swap frequencies to stay legal and safe. A system that uses plug in RF modules and a set of various modules is the way to go. As for Rx's it's probably easier and maybe cheaper to just get one for each Tx RF module and change them in the model. I'm pretty sure the synthesized Rx's won't cover THAT wide a frequency range so you'd need one for each big band change.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Synthesized modules cover an entire band, IE 72MHz, 50MHz, 75MHz, but that's still a lot of modules to get. The new Spektrum radios might be the way to go, but are they legal in every country yet?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:37 AM
SGC

I think they are only legal in small electric models in Australia to date, not sure of the weight limit, but maybe given greater useage in time.
Stewart