Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

model airplane news gnat

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

model airplane news gnat

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 07:18 PM
mickeymouse23
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default model airplane news gnat

I was looking through some old boxes and found an old plane from man called the gnat. I remember stuffing it away for a later project and just never got around to it. Unable to find the article to it I am flying a little blind but I am sure i can figure it out. Has anyone built this? What servos did you use? I am planing on using an os .10fp. I did find some info but in general not alot of detailed info. Any info would be helpful.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:50 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: model airplane news gnat

This sound familiar?

Gnat (Free Flight gas), 40" span. Model Airplane News magazine, October 1947.

That magazine could be bound and archived in the stacks of a really good public library if it's the plane you've got.

Wow, according to http://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/bio/McCullough.pdf the designer was a Claude McCullough who held AMA No. 10 !
Old 12-27-2006, 03:02 PM
fritzke

You are probably refering to the John Vant'Haaff model that was in MAN as a full-size pullout plan.
January 1992, you may be able to get a back-issue from AirAge. I built one, has a Hornet 09 (Hobby People)
and set up for HS81 servos. Never flew it though, it is very light!
Dave
PS just checked MAN website - Back issues only go back to Jan 2003.
http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/ba...po=9&catego=BI
Old 12-28-2006, 08:19 PM
mickeymouse23

yes fritz you are corect. thanks for the info, do you think that i should use standard servos for the rudder and elev.? what do you think about using hs-81's for a dual airlone servo setup? Im not used to building smaller stuf like this, usually 40 and up airplanes. thanks for any help in advance, mike
Old 12-29-2006, 01:40 AM
fritzke

If by "standard" you mean the typical 1.5 oz servo, cramming 5 in that plane is right out.
I think the HS81's or similar are about right, smaller ones if you use 2 for the ailerons and you can
always use smaller for the throttle. A Norvel .074 would be good, or a TeeDee 09 if you can
scrounge up either of them. Otherwise, the LA 10 will be fine. With SMALL planes, the key is keep it light, light, light.
Dave
Old 12-29-2006, 09:06 PM
mickeymouse23

Thank you Dave I will keep your advice on this one. It looks like it should be a fun plane to build and fly. I will keep you updated on the progress. Mike