Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

LOOKING FOR 1/2A OR 1/8A AIRPLANE for feather servos

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

LOOKING FOR 1/2A OR 1/8A AIRPLANE for feather servos

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 04:55 PM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOKING FOR 1/2A OR 1/8A AIRPLANE for feather servos

I was given a set of 4 Hitec feather HS-55 servos, 1.5v AAA battery compartment including hookup wire, the tiniest harness switch ever, and a tiny Micro O5S single-conversion receiver complete with crystal and a Focus SS FM transmitter. (all products are Hitec)

As you can see in the pics (quarter coin shown to emphasize the actual size) the servos are so tiny: they only provide 15 ounces of torque, and only weigh 8gram.

I am searching for a 1/2A or 1/8A size airplane preferably ARF that these components can be used in.

Any ideas, I want a trainer-style plane preferably, low-wing preferably but will accept high-wing or glider w/motor.

Please share some ideas.

Thank you
Steve

Old 01-04-2007, 06:54 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: LOOKING FOR 1/2A OR 1/8A AIRPLANE for feather servos

A Mega Mart Foamie conversion comes to my mind. You will need a small ESC and battery though
Old 01-04-2007, 08:03 PM
shd3920

Where can I find that. Please include photos if possible of any suggestion, that'd be appreciated. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:12 PM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those servos are strong enough for planes up to 1 1/2lbs, maybe more depending on flying style. HS-55s are now my standard 1/2A servos. You didn't say how you want to power the model, but a lot of the electric arfs in the 24" to 38" span/12oz to 24oz range can be flow well with that flight system. There are literally hundreds of them on the market these days. GWS is a company that sells inexpensive ones. They have a plane called the Formosa which I want to get myself:

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/airfly/f3a.htm
Old 01-04-2007, 08:35 PM
shd3920

Can any of these be used with feather servos?

Dumas L-19 Bird Dog

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAR5&P=7]CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS[/link]

Dumas Waco ARE

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAR6&P=7]CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS[/link]

Dumas Tiger Moth

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNHY4&P=7]CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS[/link]

I know all the descriptions call for Micro and/or Mini-micro servo but can't any of the above handle feather servos?
Those are the styles I am searching for. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:36 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

what kills these servos is vibration and excessive gear train load from poor choice of mechanical advantage [ too much control surface travel for the application]. It takes much less travel to get the job done than you might think, too much travel built into the control throws reduces leverage at the servo and puts more strain on the gear teeth. It also contributes to a "jumpy" model and more battery drain. The inner hole or middle hole on the servo arm and about 3/4"-1" up on the control horn will give enough control surface movement to control any small model that is balanced right.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:53 PM
shd3920

How bout this?

GW Funny Park

[link=http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/airfly/funny%20park.htm]CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS[/link]
Old 01-04-2007, 08:55 PM
shd3920

I can't find anyhing smaller than these mentioned above.

All those mentioned above require nothing smaller than MICRO servos, not anything that specifies FEATHER SERVOS.

I will be awaiting some suggestions - please specify airplanes in the style shown that take feather servos. And include pics and web addresses if possible.

Thank you all for your help.

Steve
Old 01-04-2007, 09:25 PM
rainedave

Steve, forget about the manufacturers descriptions like "Feather," "Micro," etc. They mean nothing. What matters is the weight of the servo and it's torque (and speed if you're doing precision aerobatics). Those labels are just a form of marketing. But, the brand is important, too. Hitec, JR, Airtronics and Futaba are the biggest names in radio gear. Some of the $5 Chinese servos may not be reliable, but Hitecs are very good.

The HS-55s are a bit heavy and a bit of overkill for models under 8oz, but they are perfect for planes around 1lb, give or take five or six ounces. I would look for a high wing model with a wingspan between 32" and 38" and an all up weight around 1lb, or a little more.

combatpig made some very important points. I would add that the more resolution you have the better your servos will perform. That means that you want the servo arm to travel as much as possible. That gives you the most control with your transmitter sticks. You do that by connecting the pushrod to an inner hole and using an outer hole on the control horn to get more travel. Basically what combatpig said. (3D planes are often set up the opposite way, but those pilots are looking for massive throw, not precision resolution. A pattern plane needs maximum resolution. That might mean only 1/4" of aileron travel with 60 degrees of servo travel. You are talking there about being able to move the aileron 1/32" while moving the transmitter stick a lot more than that which makes your control inputs extremely smooth.)
Old 01-04-2007, 09:40 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

TD426 are you mainly worried about adapting a smaller servo to a plane with servo mounts already made for mini servos? Otherwise, like RD already said, HS55s will fly a 24 oz plane with 1/2A power. Adapting HS55s to larger mounts takes a little bit of scrap 1/16" ply.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 PM
shd3920

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

TD426 are you mainly worried about adapting a smaller servo to a plane with servo mounts already made for mini servos? Otherwise, like RD already said, HS55s will fly a 24 oz plane with 1/2A power. Adapting HS55s to larger mounts takes a little bit of scrap 1/16" ply.

No I am not looking for anything for mounts already installed. I bought a Pitts Special 30" 1/2A kit and it requires servos with a minimum of 25oz of torque, which the feather servos only have 15oz (way too small), so I am looking for a kit that will accept the 15oz torque servos.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:03 PM
shd3920

I think I might have found some. How bout these. I like these ones and I think it will fit the bill.

MICRO TELEMASTER

[link=http://www.aerocraftrc.com/microtelemaster.php]DETAILS HERE[/link]

SLOWMOWATT - (1 OF 3 OF MY FAVORITE HERE)

[link=http://www.aerocraftrc.com/slowmowatt.php]DETAILS HERE[/link]

TUMBLEWATT - (2 OF 3 OF MY FAVORITE HERE)

[link=http://www.aerocraftrc.com/tumblewatt.php]DETAILS HERE[/link]

DIMWATT MK III - (3 OF 3 OF MY FAVORITE HERE)

[link=http://www.aerocraftrc.com/dimwattmkiii.php]DETAILS HERE[/link]
Old 01-04-2007, 10:58 PM
rainedave

HS-55s are PERFECT for the SLOWMOWATT. Remember, airspeed and sudden changes of attitude are what put strain on a servo. That's a very slow flying, 12oz model. 15oz of torque is more than you will ever need, even in a Stuka dive![X(]
Old 01-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Nightstalker

ORIGINAL: tigerdude426

I was given a set of 4 Hitec feather HS-55 servos, 1.5v AAA battery compartment including hookup wire, the tiniest harness switch ever, and a tiny Micro O5S single-conversion receiver complete with crystal and a Focus SS FM transmitter. (all products are Hitec)

As you can see in the pics (quarter coin shown to emphasize the actual size) the servos are so tiny: they only provide 15 ounces of torque, and only weigh 8gram.

I am searching for a 1/2A or 1/8A size airplane preferably ARF that these components can be used in.

Any ideas, I want a trainer-style plane preferably, low-wing preferably but will accept high-wing or glider w/motor.

Please share some ideas.

Thank you
Steve

Steve - cool site with some really nice looking kits! Reasonably priced too. Never seen this site before.

Yeah, ARFs get you in the air faster, but once you start kit building or building small planes like this from plans - its addictive beyond words.

Regards,
Todd