RCU Forums - View Single Post - LOOKING FOR 1/2A OR 1/8A AIRPLANE for feather servos
Old 01-04-2007, 09:25 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LOOKING FOR 1/2A OR 1/8A AIRPLANE for feather servos

Steve, forget about the manufacturers descriptions like "Feather," "Micro," etc. They mean nothing. What matters is the weight of the servo and it's torque (and speed if you're doing precision aerobatics). Those labels are just a form of marketing. But, the brand is important, too. Hitec, JR, Airtronics and Futaba are the biggest names in radio gear. Some of the $5 Chinese servos may not be reliable, but Hitecs are very good.

The HS-55s are a bit heavy and a bit of overkill for models under 8oz, but they are perfect for planes around 1lb, give or take five or six ounces. I would look for a high wing model with a wingspan between 32" and 38" and an all up weight around 1lb, or a little more.

combatpig made some very important points. I would add that the more resolution you have the better your servos will perform. That means that you want the servo arm to travel as much as possible. That gives you the most control with your transmitter sticks. You do that by connecting the pushrod to an inner hole and using an outer hole on the control horn to get more travel. Basically what combatpig said. (3D planes are often set up the opposite way, but those pilots are looking for massive throw, not precision resolution. A pattern plane needs maximum resolution. That might mean only 1/4" of aileron travel with 60 degrees of servo travel. You are talking there about being able to move the aileron 1/32" while moving the transmitter stick a lot more than that which makes your control inputs extremely smooth.)