Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

DQA 704 first flights

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

DQA 704 first flights

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:17 PM
logair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DQA 704 first flights

Well, today I took my 020td powered DQA 704 to the field along with my regular planes. The DQA got everyones attention as it was put through it's paces. it was slightly tail heavy at first, so had to spend the first flight continualy turning it out of a stall. Shiffted the battery foreward and it flew better.I only have rudder control,but was able to due several loops from a spiral.Several people wanted to try their hand at it. we all laughted and giggled at it's flying antics with only rudder control. Thanks to rrrailrosd for the plans! Build one you wont be disappointed. Logair
Old 10-02-2007, 07:23 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: DQA 704 first flights

How did I miss this thread?! What exactly is a DQA 704? Rudder-only has always sounded like a good challenge to me. Did it have the correct amount of elevator right off the board or is there a method of adjusting it before tossing it full bore into the sky? At any rate, it sounds like you guys had a real blast with it.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:59 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patrick, The DQA ( Darn Quick Airplane) is an older single channel design of the early 60's. It has about 2 degree of positive incidence on the wing which requires no elevator. I though you saw me fly some of my single channel stuff at the Carolina 1/2A Crew flyins.

Here is my DQA with Mule single channel transmitter, SH100 receiver and Citizen-ship rubber band powered escapement. I flew this once early this past Saturday at the Reedie race before the wind got up. The engine laid down so the flight was cut short. This particular model has almost 15 flights to date.

You should give single channel a try. Not too many people posses the unique skill to fly single channel!!!!

Bob Harris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13987.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	774922  
Old 10-02-2007, 12:53 PM
logair

ptulmer, If you build the airplane according to the plans maintaining the wing and horizontal stab. incidence as shown on the plans it should fly ok to start. Start with the balance point on the main spar. I had to move the battery to the forward bay to prevent stalls under power. This model was a step back in time for me since I had built one in 1965 using an MDL superregen rec. Babcock escapement and a Cox 020 reed valve engine. It flew great. Most of the old single channel airplanes of this type were realy freeflight with occational radio input to make turns. However it is supprising the manuevers that can be done with only rudder control. I covered my recent one with ultracote because that's all I had. The fuselage and tail received two coates of aerogloss filler, and two coates brushed on Stearman red. I have several bottles of aeroglos paints still usable from the 70's. It has a 4ch. Hitec rec. bat. pack and small servo. It came out at 11oz. The instructions say not to go over that. I would post a picture but for some reason am having trouble uploading. Logair
Old 10-02-2007, 01:28 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

I'd be interested in seeing the pictures if you can figure out how to post them. Glad you put the plans to good use and congratulations on a successful flight. Single channel is just plain fun, huh?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:44 AM
logair

rrengineer, Yep! Just PLANE fun! I will work on the pic,s Logair
Old 10-03-2007, 10:44 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

logair, if you click on the reply button in a previous post a new screen comes up that has a link at the bottom/left of the text box that allows you to upload images to RCU. The gray image button above the quick-reply box allows you to link to a picture URL.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:02 PM
logair

well, I'm still trying to upload my DQA 704. Will try again. Logair

Name:	Tr49609.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	810842  
Old 11-24-2007, 06:12 PM
logair

Ok, Did it. More pictures of DQA 704. Loair

Name:	Yv65942.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	810843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82679.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	810844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41627.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	810845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74561.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	810846  
Old 11-24-2007, 07:00 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Nice job on the frame up! Good covering job too. What did you paint the fuse with? What radio equipment are you using?
Mike
Old 11-24-2007, 11:33 PM
logair

rringineer, The covering is ultracoat,because I had it.The fuselage and tail was two coats brushed aerogloss filler coat,followed by two light coats of aerogloss stearman red. I have a few bottles of aerogloss dope left over from the sixty's. It was still in good shape for use. I used a futaba trany and a four channel Hitec rec. and one small Hitec servo with small battery pack. I did not have any 1/16 sheet balsa long enough for the fuselage so used some light weight 3/32 balsa for the fuse. sides. I do think there are too many ribs in the design tho. Next time I would eliminate every other rib in each wing panel. It is a great little flier and I thank you again for the plans. Logair