Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

lil rascal........020 cox

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

lil rascal........020 cox

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Mr. Mugen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lil rascal........020 cox

I am thinking about this little plane for my next tiny venture.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFKB2&P=0

It is a lecky but I wany to make it nitro with a tiny cox engine I have here. I believe it is a .020 maybe one of you can verify that. According to the description it's flying weight is between 8.5 and 9.5ozs. I have a 4.5x2 thimble drome prop mounted to it and it weighs 26grams...just under and oz. It this motor gonna do the job? I have absolutely no experience with this motor or anything this small. Just seemed like a worthwhile venture and a good home for this pretty little motor. I can see my kids enjoying this plane a lot. Any thoughts?

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16939.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	956364  
Old 05-25-2008, 02:42 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: lil rascal........020 cox

its either a pee wee .020 or a babe bee .049,, cant tell by the grid lines.....a tee dee has a plastic tank,, and a venturi on the front...it should haul 7 oz around fine....Rog
That cowl could be a problem though
Old 05-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Mr. Mugen

It is definatley a .020 I know that much. The 049's dwarf it.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:47 PM
ChicaWolverina

That's a nice COX "Pee-Wee", it's like a smaller "Baby-Bee". I wouldn't try using it with the SIG Li'l Rasal, there may have been a time 20 years ago when that would have been thinkable, but you'ed be better off by far to just go EP with that one.

[sm=wink_smile.gif]

><
Tomasina ChicaWolverina!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Mr. Mugen

Well ep is not an option really. I have to many of them already. So if a Pee Wee is not the answer would a 049 be too heavy? I have a bunch of them also but they seem quite a bit heavier and bulkier for this plane. I want a noisey lawn chair flyer... or aka "cigar flyer".
Old 05-25-2008, 03:02 PM
ChicaWolverina

Wow! If ever there was a need for a COX Tee-Dee .020 R/C that's it! If you did try this with the Pee-Wee you must use the very light radio and micro servos too, you know this but you may not understand that the flight/time on the little tank is going to be as marginal as the power too. Maybe some has an opinion about using the TT-GP07 with this plane? I used to fly a Das Littlest Stick with single channel ACE R/C pulse proportional with an Adams baby actuator with that pee-wee and a Dick's Dream with the same radio and the COX Tee-Dee .020.

Try it if you're really game on this though, but where you gonna get parts?

><
Tomasina ChicaWolverina!
Old 05-25-2008, 03:22 PM
flyinrog

at 30 inch wingspan I think it would work , I have the 1/2a rascal nib and plan to use my new pretty weak***** .05 moki motor on it..Rog
Old 05-25-2008, 04:52 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the Pee Wee would fly the Li'l Rascal.. Scott flies his original at SMALL with a TD .020 and it zips around the circuit like a pylon Racer.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:22 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

an .049 would be to much power for that plane the .020 would work the ep motor for that plane is a 180 the .020 puts out more power it can be done
Old 05-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Mr. Mugen

Well I am sticking it in my cart. I think it will be a fun project even if the .020 is not enough. I have some 3gram servos for it already and a micro rx. Just need to find some tiny cells for a flight pack. I am thinking a 150mah 2s lipo might be the way to go since weight is the biggest factor. I have some small rectifier diodes I will solder inline to drop the voltage to an acceptable level.

Kevin
Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 PM
skaliwag

Your 3 gram servos may run on a one cell lipo. What Rx did you plan on ?
Old 05-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Mr. Mugen

A berg 4 ch. I didn't think of that. Good idea! I will have to check and see if the berg will be fine at 3.7v. I dont think there is a minimum. Thanks for your input.

Kevin
Old 05-25-2008, 08:34 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe that anyone who tells you the Pee Wee is not enough for a plane this size has not flown a plane with a Pee Wee. They have outstanding power for their size and are easily enough for this plane. Of course you will use micro equipment in a plane this size. Who would use anything else?

Short duration, however, could be an issue. These engines can be run off external tanks if you are willing to drill a hole in the red tank and run a piece of tubing out.

jim
Old 05-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Mr. Mugen

I would be willing to do so but a short flight might be ok too. We will see. I am not a "collector" by any means.....more of a "user". I realize the potential value of it and dont seem to care. I like it for it's size and the fact it runs on fuel. I just tore it down and check it out. The inside looks new. I canot believe that the piston is held to the CR by a ball and socket fit. That is amazing! How the......did they do that? I didnt get the glass out to look closer but I think next time I will. I know I've said it before but these little motors amaze me. Why didn't my pops get me into these a long time ago...? I am gonna have a chat with him....haha.

Thanks for making it easier for me to pull the trigger. I just ordered it.

What next?
Kevin

PS...would a balloon tank be a good idea for an expansion tank on one of these?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:02 PM
buzzard bait

Kevin, the ball and socket observation reminds me - make sure you've got a fair amount of castor in the fuel. I'm not sure how much is necessary, but I know I used Sig fuel for a long time. It's 50% castor/ 50% synth and 20% total, I think. Too little and that joint will loosen. Jim
Old 05-27-2008, 10:48 AM
tommy_b_o_y

i have a sig rascal. built from a kit, and it flys with an AP .061 beautifully! I'm not sure a PeeWee 020 can haul it, but its worth a try. Castor is a must. at least 20% oil.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:39 PM
skaliwag

Tommy b o y... I think we are confusing Rascals. Your Rascal is meant for .061 ... The Li'l Rascal ARF comes with a 180 'leckie.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:16 PM
buzzard bait

Boy, did I get confused. I was actually thinking of the old TF kit, which was 29 inches for .010 - .020, all sheet construction. But this plane is actually very close to the same size as that older one, and it is built up and has a slimmed down fuselage. So it should certainly not require more power than the old TF kit, and therefore the Pee Wee should be plenty.

I had a TF Schoolboy with a Pee Wee and it had a 29 inch span, but much more wing area and was all sheet - probably at least 10 or 11 ounces. It flew great.

Jim
Old 06-08-2008, 08:15 PM
flyswatter

MM:
It just so happens that I made the conversion you are asking about. I first used a PeeWee .020 (as shown) but I found the power a little marginal. The plane could be coaxed up to a 100 ft or so and the glide was fun. But wanting a little more, I removed the PeeWee and put on a TD .020. It flys like a scolded hawk now. The running time is still limited, but I find that it gets so high, so fast that I have to start doing aerobatics to keep the plane within sight. One of the fellows at the club came up to me today and said he had no idea a little plane-engine combo could perform so well.

If you really want to impress the local club, then take the gear off - the thing must do about 50-60mph with the TD.

Remember to keep the weight down in the 8-9oz range and you will have some "small" fun! Good luck!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

<According to the description it's flying weight is between 8.5 and 9.5ozs.>

Keep it light and the Pee Wee will handle it just fine!

<I have a 4.5x2 thimble drome prop mounted to it and it weighs 26grams...just under and oz. It this motor gonna do the job? I have absolutely no experience with this motor or anything this small. Any thoughts?>

Right prop and, as others have already pointed out, be certain to use a high castor/high nitro fuel. As a matter of interest Joe Wagner (AMA Hall of Fame and Model Aviation engine columnist) commonly uses a 6" prop on his Pee Wees after suitable alterations. The hugely greater disc area of the 6" prop is far more efficient at making useable thrust than the standard prop by his calculations. I have seen his 'Starling' all-sheet design fly with that set-up and darned well too! AFAIK he still has plans available for the Starling. You can contact him through the SMALLnet page at: <http://www.eskimo.com/~smallnet/index.html>
The Pee Wee will fly a lot more airplane than the "Put a .60 on it" crowd suspects. The key is enough area and little weight. It is worth posting the old race car designers injunction on the shop wall, "Simplicate and add lightness" as a reminder of what makes models fly good as well. It may not be grammatically correct but it is an aero engineering axiom.
That ball & socket rod/piston connection will normally need to be reset (tightened) after break-in and occasionally throughout the life of the engine. Check with older club members to see if anyone has the reset tool. AJCoholic, who posts on the 1/2A board used to make them if you can't find someone locally who has one.
Sub 10 oz. models of 100-175 sq." powered by Pee Wees preceded 'Park Flyers' by many decades and remain viable, fun models. Enjoy! Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Edit: Just rec'd. a PM from Skaliwag that he has original Cox reset tools in stock. Get 'em while they last!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM
lildiesel

I'm sure a Pee Wee would fly that Lil' Rascal very nicely with modern micro equipment. The small tank size problem is easily overcome by drilling a fuel tube size hole in the tank and running tubing from the fuel nib out the hole to a 1/2 oz Perfect FF tank. Just don't spend much time inverted! Small wedge tanks work nicely, too. Just install it with the wedge pointing down. I drilled one Pee Wee tank when I was a kid and eventually put a permanent brass fitting on it. I swap it around sometimes to my other two Pee Wees to keep their tanks pristine.

ORIGINAL: skaliwag
I think the Pee Wee would fly the Li'l Rascal.. Scott flies his original at SMALL with a TD .020 and it zips around the circuit like a pylon Racer.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:37 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

you can use an .020 from a cox eli. so you could mount an external tank to it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37128.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	967416  
Old 06-09-2008, 09:17 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think a lot of us are poisoned by the thought of a total excess of power being "just right". A PeeWee on a 30 inch span 9 oz model will fly just fine. Granted it won't go vertical and it won't loop from level flight but it will fly in a very satisfying manner that mimics a sporty full sized casual ultralight or homebuilt.

And who knows, having to cooperate with the model to get the most out of it may just prove to be fun.

You WILL need to run an honest 25% nitro fuel. 30 to 35% would be even better. It'll have better power but mostly it'll run more consistently.

And I totally agree with you. They ARE a lovely little engine.

And as for the ball and socket joint ALL Cox engines other than some of the old .15's and the Conquest use this same joint.