Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

McCoy "05". When was it built?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

McCoy "05". When was it built?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Doc.316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McCoy "05". When was it built?

I have an old McCoy 05 that I was wondering if anyone could date it for me. It is basically a red anodized headed engine, front intake type, aluminum tank on the back (sorry I haven't got a decent camera for a pic). Got it at a garage sale and it was wandering around in the engine box for a while so I decided to machine a head button out of a cox glo head for it to see how it runs. It seems to run pretty well....so it is going into a vintage kit. I am thinking it won't pull the same prop as a cox will but we will have to run a few props and see.

If you have run one of these in a past life could you give me some insight into the running of it (ie. prop size/fuel) that would have been used back in the day.

thanks
Steve
Old 09-11-2009, 11:47 AM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: McCoy

Sounds like the McCoy .049 glow introduced in 1951, sometimes called the "Baby Mac". I don't have one among my vintage 1/2As, but I'd bet that back in the day it would turn a wooden 6x3 respectably and power a 30" span FF model (check the Laumer thread) very nicely.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:06 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran across this from Modelenginenews.org while researching the McCoy Duro Glo engines a while back. It says a 049 glow engine was made in 1955. I really don't know if this was a later engine than the one you have. The article is about the
ok diesels: http://www.modelenginenews.org/ad/ok_diesel.html

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75231.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1273061  
Old 09-11-2009, 03:46 PM
lildiesel

ORIGINAL: build light
It says a 049 glow engine was made in 1955. I really don't know if this was a later engine than the one you have.
Robert
We need a picture or at least a description of the crankcase to figure out if it is a glow derived from the diesel or a predecessor to both. I've just got a note in my engine book about the "Baby Mac" McCoy .049 from 1951 noting the anodized red head and the backplate mounted tank. No mention of radial or beam mounting.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Doc.316

Yep that is it "build light". It looks like the exactly like the diesels in the article...but with the beam mount and a glo head button...1955 wow that sucker is pretty old...it will go well in the Jetco "super cruiser" that I am building for single channel. It should be a pretty good match for the plane since it is basically a freeflight plane with rudder and it should be pretty light since the radios have gotten a lot lighter since the 50's....

Thanks for your help I would never have thought of looking in a diesel article.

Steve
Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 PM
jessiej

I have a couple of the old McCoy 049s. Haven't run one for a while but seem to recall they were comparable in performance with the OK Cubs, Atwoods, and he like of the same vintage.

I will see if I can find any info.

jess
Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Doc.316

Ok,
Here is a pic of the little dude:...had to go borrow a camera from my 14 yr old (sigh).

Name:	If10674.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	1273353  
Old 09-12-2009, 09:54 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doc.316
Ok,
Here is a pic of the little dude:...had to go borrow a camera from my 14 yr old (sigh).
I think that may have been a later version...perhaps just before the first "Testors" series.

Here are some pics of the Baby Mac and the Duro Glo .049 diesel in radial mount and the later Beam Mount. The Duro Glo .049 glow that I HAD was like the beam mount diesel except it had a cylinder fit for a glow button that was held on with the screw-on muff (the red part).

George

Name:	Tr49127.jpg
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1273538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85662.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	1273539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52663.jpg
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1273540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39938.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1273541  
Old 09-12-2009, 05:24 PM
lildiesel

Now I really want a Baby Mac.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Doc.316

Wow, It is amazing how many different versions there are. Mine looks like it has the "muff" of the diesel. It isn't even close to the first two pictures since it has the exhaust like the diesel but has a combo beam radial mount on it. On the other side it says "05" on it instead of 049 so I must have gotten a "big block".... How many retoolings did they make for these things? I am amazed that there are as many different combinations.

This collecting stuff is pretty interesting...almost as much as flying.

Steve
Old 09-12-2009, 06:39 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: lildiesel
Now I really want a Baby Mac.
In all fairness, my Baby Mac was bought from THE auction site and is missing the tank back. Since I had never seen one before, I am not sure if the prop screw and spinner are correct. The needle may be a replacement, and is missing the spring.

Still...it is an interesting (to me) engine.

Does anyone know if it was available without the tank?

George

Additional thought. When I purchased my beam mounted McCoy .049 glow and diesel back in the fifties, one or both came with a little sheet metal radial mount that would bolt to the beam mounts to make it a radial mounted engine. That may have prompted McCoy to make the one in question...perhaps because of the popularity of the Cub .049B at the time.

Edit: Just remembered...many or most of the kits at that time were set-up for radial mounted engines. Perhaps THAT was what prompted McCoy to provide the option.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

I had one of those Baby Macs once - a pretty little engine that's all puffery.

I thought that it was really something how they styled it after the larger McCoy engines - right down to casting those screw pads into the case to simulate those of the larger McCoys where the front of the case and back plate bolted to the cylinder portion of the case. Likewise for the large transfer port bulge cast in the left side of the cylinder. That too is pure styling. I don't remember the details exactly, but there are two or more small transfer ports milled into either the side of the cylinder liner or the case casting - but not where the bulge is.

Internally the Baby Mac is very similar to the other small (and more honest looking) McCoy engines of similar displacement.