RCU Forums - View Single Post - the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless
Old 02-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Sound Sailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

DF, you missed a day filled with excitement. Duntless is not the easiest boat to launch when you can't wade into the pond. soI carried the pices down, put the hull parially in the pond sternfirst with the bow on the shore. When Rich got there I powered everything up and she took off full speed in reverse, and turning in tight circles. Running that fast in reverse she was burying her stern and sinking. Nothing I did with the xmtr made any difference. Well she sank stern first about 20' from shore and the only thing that saved the day was she was resting against an underwater wall that is for silt containment. I was able to wade out on the wall and recover her.

Firstly lesson learned, always check throttle and steering on shore. I do with all my boats but due to the difficulty launching Dauntless I didn't today. We have been trying to figure what went wrong and really do not know. My latest thought is that one of the ESCs did nor sync properly and that would explain why I couldn't even steer it. A twin screw boat will always want to turn against the helm when running on one screw due to the offset. I've experienced that first hand in the big boats.

After bringing the boat home and drying everything with a hair dryer, everything works except one ESC. The rcvr is a marine one and waterproof so it is fine. The boat itself did not recieve any damage except for some paint on the chine. I suspect the esc that is not working now is the one that caused the problem. Looks like I will have three choices. Run both motors with the good esc, buy a new matching esc, orreplace both esc withnew Viper waterproof ones.

I think Rich brought along that Mayhem guy from Allstate comercials.

Bill