RCU Forums - View Single Post - Radios
Thread: Radios
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 07:27 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radios

I doubt that folks are ignoring you. My guess is that these radios are so rare in the overall scheme of RC radios that there aren't many folks who can answer the question. There are drawbacks to buying a less sold brand. For instance, where do you buy extra receivers? Are parts available for them? Who repairs them if there is a catastrophic failure? In other words, what kind of support system do they have? The other end of the spectrum is that any of the big four systems have parts readily available and there are reputable repair depots where repairs can be made at a reasonable cost,

If you are serious about this hobby, the one place where you want to go as big as you can is your radio. Models come and go, but a good radio system lasts for many years. By far the biggest mistake a noobie makes is buying a radio the he will end up replacing in short order for one that will do more things and handle more models. Many folks then buy a middle of the road system and end up replacing that in a year or so. They end up with several perfectly good radios that they will never again use. The one thing that noobies need to do is save their money and buy the most expensive radio that they can possibly afford, one that they are absolutely positive they will never outgrow. It saves money in the long run.

If you are not serious, if this is only going to be an amusing game for you for a short time, buy the one that appeals most to you. If you like the big display on the FlySky, buy it. Just remember that if you ever wish to add another plane, where do you buy another receiver? And who will repair the transmitter or receiver if it becomes necessary?

The very best Futabe, Hitec, Airtronics or JR radio that you, in your wildest imagination, believe you can afford is the way to go.