RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scale military build (I hope)
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 11:41 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Scale 6wd military build (I hope)

Here is the start of what I hope will be a 6wd military looking vehicle(XM963) based off the HPI Wheely King that I modded to 6wd a few years back
I started talking about it in http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...de-bodies.html but figured now it should get its own thread as its still in the planning phase, but I've hit a few roadblocks already.

Here is what I started with

What I hope it will look like in the end

I've already got 8 ripsaw tires off of a SCX10 (found em cheap), and am basing the scale off that.
But here is one of the roadblocks I can't do a true scale build(based off the tire diameter) to that picture as its too long for what I have to work with(think Baja 5b long) I printed up a scale picture of it to check. My WK's 3rd axle as it is located as it is right now is not as far out as the middle axle on that truck.

Now I did think of a solution so far if I chop the truck a bit I can get the wheelbase closer to something like in this pic.(and yes I know that is a shoddy of copy/pasting, but its not the final of what it would look like just a general idea)

Only real issue I'm having is the body(and how to mount it)... I'm going to be honest I SUCK at modeling, and making the front cab might be a bit more then I can chew... I watched the videos, and see how simple it looks... but I know from past things I've tried videos make everything look simple which is why I'm extremely hesitant. I've been contemplating buying a SCX honcho cab, and making the rear based on the above truck(which would probably be pretty simple), or even doing something like this http://www.axialracing.com/blog_posts/5692 with my honcho's body(this I could easily handle), and get a dingo body for my SCX10 the last 2 things are also why the I hope is in the topic in parenthesis.

Anyways now that that the general concept, and potential issues are out of the way on to what I plan to use(and mostly bought)
For the frame I'm planning on using 3mm thick sheet of delrin cut to shape. Would have used metal, but I lack the proper equipment/space to work with it(more on the space side). Also figured delrin is strong, and can easily be cut into shape with a jigsaw. Its basic design will be based off my SCX10's but longer to accommodate the 3rd axle, and where the tranny mounts taller to accommodate the WK tranny mounts.

Shocks... I was going to use MT2 front shocks, then thought about leaf springs, but now plan on using RS4 on-road shocks(which should be here any day) as I'm turning it into a scale truck I figured I won't be needing the extreme travel. Now if I plan to revert back to the monster SCX10 look like in that one link above I figured I could just screw on an extender to use whatever shock I want.

Links I watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVV8DgZmQz8 and am doing them that way as they seem pretty simple to make. I've already made the steering links, and they seem fine

Servo mount: I got a level 3 axle mid mount servo kit for the crawler king

Tires as I said above SCX10 ripsaws pre-mounted (I got them pretty cheap for 8)

I'll put up current pics when I start on the chassis rails (well might do it when I prototype em out of cardboard)

Will gladly take any feedback, ideas, or comments on this as a lot of this is new territory to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wkbod2.jpg
Views:	2116
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	1982486   Click image for larger version

Name:	WKbottom.jpg
Views:	1832
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1982487   Click image for larger version

Name:	1980-XM963-6x6-Military-Vehicle.jpg
Views:	3258
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	1982488   Click image for larger version

Name:	1980 mod.jpg
Views:	1718
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1982491  

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 04-04-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: change topic slightly