RCU Forums - View Single Post - List of Classic Pattern Kit Manufacturers
Old 05-19-2015, 08:07 AM
J Kikkert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Barn/ Quality line kits still alive.

Originally Posted by stuntflyr
They're done. The poster is telling a story from long ago, that was probably a fabrication at that. The proprietors of Hobby Barn are done with Classic kits, there was one little stab at makng them again and then... over.
Chris...
GUYS:
I DONT POST ANYTHING THAT I DON"T KNOW IS TRUE. Let me give you a little current information and history. Hobby Barn was started in the 1960s by Bill Hempel sr. It was always thought that Bill Hempel jr would take over the store, but he had started his own very successful business of importing and selling Giant Scale Models. This business along with his current life has kept him more busy than most humans care to be. His father Bill sr. recently retired and the business was taken over by one of his other sons. Hobby Barn is currently going stronger than ever. They still manufacture their "Quality Line Kits". They just don't advertise in the magazines like they used to. You can call them or fax them after hours@ (520)747-3633.
Now for little information about me. I met Bill sr. in 1972 when I moved to Tucson. I helped out at his business for over 40 YEARS, till he recently retired. I helped design and build a lot of their kits in my " after work spare time hours" Bill was a great innovator in Fiberglass models and our hobby. He had a lot of "Firsts" in the hobby industry. I look at Bill sr. as My Best Friend, and I like to think of Bill jr. as a son I never had This is how I know that that the Hobby Barn is still thriving in the hobby industry.
JERRY
PS: if you have any questions of my knowledge, feel free to call me @ (520) 335-7751