RCU Forums - View Single Post - BVM Composite Bandit Build Thread. Yes from 1998.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:31 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I got everything figured out with the formers. The instructions do say the main former (front) determines the dihedral. However there is some slight variance due to the wing bolts having some minor play in the spade spar holes in the wing. One was worse the the other.

I just finished the spars but have not glued them in yet. Because I have "bashed" this kit to accept the much better purple gear, This is the time now to ensure the gear are at the right angles. I have tacked in the left gear and it looks pretty good. Now I am working on the right gear, which is not tacked at all.

Pics of the left gear, it may be slightly rakes foward and when deployed may have be out a little far.

I know builder types, especially bvm types, are perfectionist but keep in mind I have very little experience. I fully expect to have some variance from where the gear will need to be, and I fully expect some variance between each other on the mains. I do have the ability to do some shimming but Ill try to get a video with a protractor.

After flying a couple of my jets for years, breaking them out here and there, they arent perfect at all. Its never made a difference on those jets once at take off speed. Not sure on this one though, I cant imagine it would. Gear get beat up over time for sure. It can have an effect on slow taxi though.

I realized my jet came with the plastic front gear mounts, I plan to get a set of CF for the balsa bandit.

A couple questions:
If the mains are not absolutely perfect, is it really going to matter (so long as the retract up ok and the doors close)?
Can this jet be done without the splitter plates so it looks more like the super/arf?
My canopy and hatch do not set will, some spring action in them with gaps against the fuse. Whats the best way to get a good fit?
I have more but thats it for now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20171230_202611.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2249345   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171230_202019.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2249346   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171230_202030.jpg
Views:	268