RCU Forums - View Single Post - How much thrust for a grass field takeoff?
Old 04-25-2018, 01:59 AM
Extreme_RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scratchie
Anyway, I'd appreciate suggestions for EDF/battery setups that would be suitable for Grass Fields. I know only glow prop planes, and have a good idea of how these planes will perform before I build one. But with an electric jet I have no idea what to expect... I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions, thanks.
The Turbinator is a pretty easy model to set up, I have done fans for a few customers who built the short kit. Your only real decision is whether to go 6 cells or 8 cells. If you want the fan to be usable in other more advanced models down the track then I would look at setting it up with electric retracts and 8 cell fan system. The cost of fan/motor is the same for either, only the ESC will be a little different, and you will use a pair of 4000-5000mah 4s packs instead of a single 5000-6000mah 6s pack.

The fan I have supplied for this model is HERE
The ESC that many use with this setup (with the heatsink fins in the intake airflow) is HERE
You will also need a hi voltage UBEC, the one I use in every 90mm jet is HERE

This fan unit is a custom Jetfan that puts out a lot of thrust, on strong batteries you will see 4.5kg initially, taking off from grass is no issue. I use the slightly milder one in my Black Horse T33 Lightning, it weighs 4kg ready to fly, that's almost 9lb, takes off in around 100ft on grass, smooth as silk, the Turbinator will be just as if not easier to get up.
I send fans all over the world, bear in mind the pricing on the website is in AUD so converting to USD multiply the price by 0.78 to get an approximate figure.

I can help you with retracts and strut sets that will work nicely in the Turbinator, servoless with alloy trunions and legs, good enough for all my 4-4.5kg models! They will bolt in exactly as the Robart ones do that are shown in the original plans of this model, connecting them requires only ext and Y leads to bring all 3 into one lead straight into channel 5, nothing to set or adjust they just work! If you are interested in talking more about it shoot me an email: [email protected]