RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Sherman M4A4 w/HVSS M50
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 01:15 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Nicks hull is a small hatch A3 ford. The Israelis never had that type according to the research ive done. They had some plain m4s, A1s, A2 fisher brand with welded hoods, and chrystler A4s, and composits. None of these resembed the ford a3 hull really as is. If you review my Alco m4 build then you will see how i narrowed the hoods of nicks hull to resemble an m4 from alco. This would be the same for a federal machine brand m4a2 narrow hood.
They also used large hatch m4s which had to have been howizter tanks originally. The tamiya hull is perfect for building an m50 or m60HV on.
The bulk of the m50 class was m4a4 and Fisher m4a2 based. With a few of the rest descirbed misxed in.
I also have a few photos showing welded hull m51 tanks. I cannot tell if they were an m4 105 hull or an m4A2 (76)w hull that would have been a UK lend lease tank. Either is likely and plauseable, as they got many tanks the UK left behind in the desert and bought many tanks from the french. Neither of which were given ford m4a3s in any doccumental number as they didnt enter the war till they were remanufactured and then issued only to US troops by winter 44.
but when it comes to postwar stuff, just about anything is plausebile, though i have been told there are some defineates as I descibed above here.
one thing is for sure there are lots of modeling possibilites with the m50/60/51 classes of sherman as the remainging users really mixed it up and made some great looking tanks. Ive picked out a specific m60HV that I want to build.

im also thinking wouldnt it be cool to have a Raytheon upgrade demonstrator for the M60 HV class? Large hatch welded hull, full reactive armor on the hull with reactive and ceramic applque to the turret, lazer guidance stuff etc etc. Or even for the m51 since it is supposedly still in service in Chile.