RCU Forums - View Single Post - A/D Mirage 2000 1/5 scale building thread
Old 11-28-2018, 10:57 AM
tassos p

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuggs
Hey Tassos,

This got me thinking? The Mirage will be my first real jet delta after the eurosport a long time ago. I always thought that weight is no real problem on the bigger deltas. Can you go a bit more into detail about it? I think the Mirage is very well constructed and quite rigid. Thougth that they decided to go this way since the weight is no big deal.

Ofc i know that the lighter the better, but from a few videos i've seen about the Mirage, the plane flies really really well and has good slow flight abilities.

I am now unsure if i'd rather go with an evojet220neo instead of the P200SX i have for the Mirage.

Thanks
T
Hey Tuggs,

With the P200 I just feel I need more power for the weight. I'm constantly between 70-100% on power.​​​​​​ The delta can handle the extra weight no problem but it needs speed. Once you cut the engine below 70% the plane just sinks without stalling but it sinks. So there's a trade off to be made here because if you put a larger engine (say 300 size) then due to the engine being very thirsty, as Nick mentioned earlier, you need extra fuel tank because the stock tank is only 4.5 liters, all together you may add 2-3kg on the airframe.​

During landing (I got the hang of it now) you need to stay on the throttle with authority, keep it maybe around 50-70% till it's over the runway then pull back to idle while pulling the elevator to land smoothly. Remember there are no flaps so you need speed otherwise you can rapidly loose height and hit the ground with force (hence the stock struts are crap and break).

I think a 220 engine would be a fantastic combo in your case, keep it light. Unfortunately for me, I don't use any other brand than Jetcat and Jetcat does not have a 220 engine in a 120 size can. The P200 weighs around 3kg with pump and ECU and accessories. Maybe if Jetcat develops a 220-250 engine in the future I would gladly install it but for the time being I'm staying with the P200.

Other than that, yes, the plane has fantastic existence in the air, and very scale flight characteristics.

Lastly I would strongly recommend a gyro to assist mainly on the pitch during landings. Its a whole different feeling and landings are soooooo smooth now.

Tassos