Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

A/D Mirage 2000 1/5 scale building thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A/D Mirage 2000 1/5 scale building thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 05:33 PM
spaceman 01
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/D Mirage 2000 1/5 scale building thread

I just started on my Mirage 2000 from aviation design so I will like to give everyone some pointers of how to go about building one of this.If you like you can use my techniques or we can share yours thank you, Nick. Here are some pictures.
First you need to cut all the openings for the doors and also I opened up an extra access panel right behind the main blockhead, close by the CG point these will help with the smoke system and also to incorporate and extra fuel tank under the main one to get a couple more minutes of flight.
I am running a P300 Jetcat and that tends to suck a lot of fuel

Old 11-26-2018, 05:38 PM
spaceman 01

To do the cuts I use a diamond blade on my Dremel cut all the way to the corners and then use the X-Acto knife to finish the cut he works pretty good

Old 11-26-2018, 05:43 PM
spaceman 01

Here is also the access panel that I spoke about earlier it will come very handy and I also drilled two 3/4 inch holes right on top of the fuel tank in the bolckhead so I can have access for extra wiring or tubing .
Old 11-27-2018, 12:45 AM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey,

I am also building a Mirage from AD... I am about 70% done. I started a thread earlier this year but didnt find the time to report on the progress. What landing gear do you use? Does AD have a new supplier ?
Old 11-27-2018, 04:15 AM
spaceman 01

Hello Tuggs,
I am using the original set, the only thing that I did I had to custom made couple parts of the struts with aircraft aluminum I will post some pictures when I get a chance.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:01 AM
Tuggs

Hey Spaceman,

Thanks for the info. Did you get the retracts recently or do you have your kit for a longer time. Asking because AD was unable to deliver retracts so i switched to an alternative manufacturer (which turned out to be a difficult challenge).
Old 11-27-2018, 05:27 AM
tassos p

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceman 01
I just started on my Mirage 2000 from aviation design so I will like to give everyone some pointers of how to go about building one of this.If you like you can use my techniques or we can share yours thank you, Nick. Here are some pictures.
First you need to cut all the openings for the doors and also I opened up an extra access panel right behind the main blockhead, close by the CG point these will help with the smoke system and also to incorporate and extra fuel tank under the main one to get a couple more minutes of flight.
I am running a P300 Jetcat and that tends to suck a lot of fuel
Hey Niko,

What happened to your last Mirage? I've upgraded the L/G to down and locked - perfect. Still however need alum struts. Do you think you can get your guy to make us a few more pairs?

Pics from a couple of weekends ago:
Thanks, Tassos

Old 11-27-2018, 01:35 PM
spaceman 01

Hello Tasso,
your Mirage looks nice . My last one I did a slight maneuver and I think my engine quit because I cannot recover at the bottom and I hit the ground .I saved the engine that retracts and a few other things,that’s why I’m building a new one now. I will try to make this one less heavy.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:48 PM
tassos p

Ooooo real pity, I'm sorry you lost that airframe it was so beautiful. I see you saved the tail though .

Yes weight is an issue on this airplane as it is with the struts - Aviation Design has no solution for the retracts so far. Hope they will soon. On the weight issue I've a P200RX on the airplane which is ok at top speed but not real push when the stick is below 50%. I was thinking for the new P300PRO but then it's a trade off - the fuel tank would be small and then if install something additional then I'd add around 2kg more of equipment and fuel.

Anyway I'll be following closely your thread.

Tassos
Old 11-27-2018, 03:00 PM
spaceman 01

Hello Tasso, the weight is not an issue overhaul but I will post pictures If my struts if you change two pieces on the struts you have no problem for the extra weight
Old 11-27-2018, 03:45 PM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to see you are building another Mirage! Loved the way it flew. It was a sad day at Kentucky Jets when it didn’t come home.

The “other” Nick

Old 11-27-2018, 08:56 PM
spaceman 01

Thank you Nick,nice to hear from you I know it is said but this things will happen, that’s why I’m building another one I like it too. I will try to have it ready by spring .
Old 11-27-2018, 09:07 PM
spaceman 01

Tasso, here is the picture of the old and new struts. You’ll need to replace the two bottom pieces from cast aluminum to CNC aircraft aluminum this is my second set in case the first one goes bed. On my first sad I have over 40 flights and I had no issues .
I asked my friend to do couple more sets, but he declined, he told me it requires lot of work .
Old 11-28-2018, 01:20 AM
Tuggs

Hey Tassos,

This got me thinking? The Mirage will be my first real jet delta after the eurosport a long time ago. I always thought that weight is no real problem on the bigger deltas. Can you go a bit more into detail about it? I think the Mirage is very well constructed and quite rigid. Thougth that they decided to go this way since the weight is no big deal.

Ofc i know that the lighter the better, but from a few videos i've seen about the Mirage, the plane flies really really well and has good slow flight abilities.

I am now unsure if i'd rather go with an evojet220neo instead of the P200SX i have for the Mirage.

Thanks
T

Originally Posted by tassos p

Yes weight is an issue on this airplane as it is with the struts - Aviation Design has no solution for the retracts so far. Hope they will soon. On the weight issue I've a P200RX on the airplane which is ok at top speed but not real push when the stick is below 50%. I was thinking for the new P300PRO but then it's a trade off - the fuel tank would be small and then if install something additional then I'd add around 2kg more of equipment and fuel.

Anyway I'll be following closely your thread.

Sorry about the loss of your mirage, spaceman.

Tassos
Old 11-28-2018, 01:37 AM
Tuggs

Spaceman, i hope you dont mind if I chime in with some progress pictures on my Mirage.

I had to exchange sleeve of the rear wing tubes as they weren't properly aligned. No big deal. an evenings work.

Otherwise the last big challenge will be to fit the landing gear from HAWE which I had to send back for some more rightsizing. The retract units were way too high for the thin airframe. Hawe is a great company to deal with. I should have the gear back soon. Nose is removable with magnets and I trial fitted the shock cones and painted the nozzle a little bit.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 AM
spaceman 01

Hello Tuggs
joining anytime you want we can both learn and everyone else also from ones different techniques.
can you tell me where did you get the linkage covers for details? I did not have mine in my detail kit from aviation design
Old 11-28-2018, 09:40 AM
spaceman 01

Also the problem with the retracts is that Eric needs to contract someone with a CNC machine to run at least the Struts from aircraft aluminum and then the issues will be solved .
check out the picture with my struts
Old 11-28-2018, 09:47 AM
spaceman 01

On my main doors a good practice is before you hinge you must send about 10 mm with a 45° angle at the edge. zoom in on the picture to see
Old 11-28-2018, 10:16 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm checking with a local guy to source some aluminum struts. If i could get the guy to do it for me, who would be interested on a set and how much are you willing to pay for it? I am just starting a conversation with the guy, but I want to be able to give him a number of pieces and a budget to work with....
Old 11-28-2018, 10:33 AM
tassos p

Originally Posted by JackD
I'm checking with a local guy to source some aluminum struts. If i could get the guy to do it for me, who would be interested on a set and how much are you willing to pay for it? I am just starting a conversation with the guy, but I want to be able to give him a number of pieces and a budget to work with....
Count me in.

Tassos
Old 11-28-2018, 10:35 AM
tassos p

Originally Posted by spaceman 01
Hello Tuggs
joining anytime you want we can both learn and everyone else also from ones different techniques.
can you tell me where did you get the linkage covers for details? I did not have mine in my detail kit from aviation design
For scale details this guy in France does a lot of things, he made mine as well --> gamme Dassault MIRAGE - Boutique

Here are pics from my airplane --> Lama SA315 B

Tassos
Old 11-28-2018, 10:57 AM
tassos p

Originally Posted by Tuggs
Hey Tassos,

This got me thinking? The Mirage will be my first real jet delta after the eurosport a long time ago. I always thought that weight is no real problem on the bigger deltas. Can you go a bit more into detail about it? I think the Mirage is very well constructed and quite rigid. Thougth that they decided to go this way since the weight is no big deal.

Ofc i know that the lighter the better, but from a few videos i've seen about the Mirage, the plane flies really really well and has good slow flight abilities.

I am now unsure if i'd rather go with an evojet220neo instead of the P200SX i have for the Mirage.

Thanks
T
Hey Tuggs,

With the P200 I just feel I need more power for the weight. I'm constantly between 70-100% on power.​​​​​​ The delta can handle the extra weight no problem but it needs speed. Once you cut the engine below 70% the plane just sinks without stalling but it sinks. So there's a trade off to be made here because if you put a larger engine (say 300 size) then due to the engine being very thirsty, as Nick mentioned earlier, you need extra fuel tank because the stock tank is only 4.5 liters, all together you may add 2-3kg on the airframe.​

During landing (I got the hang of it now) you need to stay on the throttle with authority, keep it maybe around 50-70% till it's over the runway then pull back to idle while pulling the elevator to land smoothly. Remember there are no flaps so you need speed otherwise you can rapidly loose height and hit the ground with force (hence the stock struts are crap and break).

I think a 220 engine would be a fantastic combo in your case, keep it light. Unfortunately for me, I don't use any other brand than Jetcat and Jetcat does not have a 220 engine in a 120 size can. The P200 weighs around 3kg with pump and ECU and accessories. Maybe if Jetcat develops a 220-250 engine in the future I would gladly install it but for the time being I'm staying with the P200.

Other than that, yes, the plane has fantastic existence in the air, and very scale flight characteristics.

Lastly I would strongly recommend a gyro to assist mainly on the pitch during landings. Its a whole different feeling and landings are soooooo smooth now.

Tassos
Old 11-29-2018, 12:17 AM
Tuggs

Thank you for the input Tassos, its appreciated. I am planning to use a Cortex, but only for damping. Are you using your gyro for heading also?

@spaceman: The linkage covers are contained in the "Detail set" from AD. It also contains the scale linkages and the refuelling probe, so it has to be ordered separately.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:21 AM
spaceman 01

OK Tuggs, I will have to call Eric because mine was not included in the detail kit.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:32 AM
tassos p

Originally Posted by Tuggs
Thank you for the input Tassos, its appreciated. I am planning to use a Cortex, but only for damping. Are you using your gyro for heading also?
I'm using PB ROYAL with iGyro which is heading hold mode around the stick center and switches to rate mode towards the end. Took me a while to fine tune but it's done now. Rock solid with high A angle of attack on approach.

I love it.

Tassos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.