RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIG Four-Star 60 Build
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 04:47 AM
VincentJ

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TCampbell
Great to see another one of your builds on the board, I'll definitely be following along.

I'm already curious to see what those notches in the ribs are at each of the spar locations. The plans appear to call out "Laser cut 3/32" balsa spar web" so it must allow the shear webs to key into the ribs? No answer necessary now, I'm sure all will be made clear...
Glad to have you follow along Tim, I was beginning to think no one was interested in this build and was contemplating pulling the plug. The notches that you spotted are for the shear webs which is one long piece instead of them being separate. This type of construction allows the builder to almost fully assemble the wing without glue by interlocking all of the parts together, then later flooding each joint with CA. While this is a neat feature for novice builders, I can't say that I'm fond of this type of construction as I don't use CA to build with. It has been a pain for me to use the glue of my building choice, Titebond II glue in all the joints! I'll follow this up with a pic or two showing this interlocking feature.

Last edited by VincentJ; 03-05-2019 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wully (12-21-2021)