RCU Forums - View Single Post - Blast from the past..Dumas Miller American convert to brushless
Old 08-06-2019, 04:51 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am in the planning stage of build my Dumas Atlas Van Lines and doing it as a FE on 6 or 8 cells and looking
at using the Leopard 4092 at either 1390kv on 6 cells or the 4092 1050kv on 8 cells which would get me close
to the 30,000 rpm mark this boat will need to run and perform at. However I will be doing quite a bit of lightening
up of the formers and building side pockets for the batteries. This boat isn't going to be built for completion but
just for running on my local lake and the reason for electric is the noise factor of glow engines and also the headaches
associated with glow engines, tuning, pipe lengths and going lean and blowing the plug and possibly the motor. I
too love the smell of glow fuel but keep that for my model aircraft, boats are all electric. Going electric is definitely
a learning curve and expensive to start out with but once you have your charging equipment and get past the
initial cost of the motor, batteries and ESC, it is a no brainer as far as the boat ever quitting out on the pond or
lake and having to paddle out to retrieve it. Just remember though that the electric scale hydro is going to be quite
a bit heavier than the same as a glow engine boat, but once it is balanced (approx. 1/3rd of length back from the
forward tip of the sponson), the CG will never shift. Good luck with the conversion and keep us informed as to your
progress. When you have decided what you want to install as far as electric power give the guys at OSE a call and
they can guide you towards the best set up for your boat as far as motor, ECS and battery selection.
https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/index.php