RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dope base coating
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 05:28 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Some colors, specifically Cub Yellow, tends to be transparent. What I have on the bench will have a yellow top wing, and grey for the rest, A liberty Sport, so I was planning on painting it a single base color first, but not sure yet if it should be Silver, so thought I would ask first before buying it. Going to use Randolph for the grey, Sig for the yellow and other colors since I would only need a small amount, and the smallest Randolph is a quart.

So should I use Silver as the base for everything and apply my color coats over that? I was thinking to prevent bleed to apply a couple clear coats over the silver.
​​​​​​When I do a dope job I always put down a couple of coats of white before I start shooting colors, no matter what color I'm using. However; the control line guys like to use that silver/aluminum dope on their stunt planes, sort of like a primer. Those guys do some gorgeous finishes, too.

As far as fumes go, I wear a charcoal respirator when I'm doing a finish. I also have an exhaust fan running in the shop that vents outdoors. I don't get overspray on anything in my shop.

carl