RCU Forums - View Single Post - making the switch
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Hughes500Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making the switch

Get a Raptor. It is a great first heli and will take you all the way through basic 3D. You can use an inexpensive 30 size motor and it will give you plenty of power. Parts are cheap and easy to get. The heli has no major flaws (the early ones did, but those issues have been addressed).

As for the LMH, let me begin by saying I own one and I love it. However, it is not a good first heli. The reasons for this is because it cost just as much as a 30 size heli to have it flight ready. You must use mini servos (three times the cost of standard 30 size servos). It uses a special motor. The "included gyro" is a joke - you most remove it and install a real gyro (and since this is a mini heli, you will need a mini gyro). In a crash, the heli holds up very well over all... Except for the servos, you will be stripping lots of gears. You will have a bunch of boom striks since the main rotor is so close to the tail boom. If you break the WOOD main frame, you need to disassemble the whole heli to replace it. You will also have to glue it, fuel proof it and paint it every time. Lastly, it is fixed pitch. This makes it much harder to learn to fly since you must stay 3 steps ahead of the heli. However, if you can fly the LMH - you can fly anything...

-Steve