Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

making the switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 10:38 PM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making the switch

i might just have a lemon... or bad luck or both... but i do have to say i fly this thing pretty radical and aggresive...

again... there is a lot of happy craptor flyers out there... i'm just not one of them...
Old 06-09-2002, 02:00 AM
TerraFirma

Default Time has come

The time has come! Talked with a local pilot today, and he told me what to get (Thanks Eric). At the end of the month I will order a Raptor 50 with a TTR 50 engine.
Going for the Kit version, so that I can learn how these Helis work. I will use my Futaba T8UAPS radio for guidance.
Thanks to all for the help, advice, and 2 cents worth!
Old 06-09-2002, 02:02 AM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Default Engine

Just curious what made you go with the TT engine? I have no experience with the TT engine. Can anyone here compair it with the OS 50?
Old 06-09-2002, 03:02 AM
TerraFirma

Default engine choice

It comes with the package deal off the site.
www.gr8lakesrc.com
I do prefer OS engines, but for my first Heli....I'll go with what it comes with.
Old 06-09-2002, 03:18 AM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

Default READ MORE

Read the reviews at www.rchelicopters.org
Old 06-09-2002, 03:50 AM
gquiring

Originally posted by flmgrip
the famous startup shakes, what about those?
Well their not famous at our fields, I have never seen a 'startup shake' sounds like a balancing problem which could explain why you have a reliability problem with your Rappy.

A agree the Raptor manual blows but so do most of the manuals!!! Very few have good manuals. I would prefer a good heli over a good manual. It's not like your going to be using the manual for next couple of years.....

Most of the cheaper heli's have lots of slop and still fly great. Look at the Shuttle - it invented the sloppy heli, but it flies real well with all that slop.

I like something that works well, flies well and is reliable. When I think of ships like the Kalt Enforcer, Concept and few others that don't fly too well, who cares if they have tighter linkages or a better manual.

We have many Rappies at our fields. They don't fall apart (except the boom supports) and fly out of the box with no upgrades.

I would like to see a Sceadu, it looks nice, but we have none at our fields. The JR Venture so far looks good, but we have only 1 guy flying one.

Gary
Old 06-09-2002, 08:45 AM
flmgrip

Originally posted by gquiring

Well their not famous at our fields, I have never seen a 'startup shake'
good for you guys...

sounds like a balancing problem which could explain why you have a reliability problem with your Rappy.
Gary
[/QUOTE]
everything is balanced and if it should be the clutch or fan, than it does not fly out of the box...

A agree the Raptor manual blows but so do most of the manuals!!! Very few have good manuals. I would prefer a good heli over a good manual. It's not like your going to be using the manual for next couple of years.....
[/QUOTE]

i agree, but a good manual sure helps for a first time builder...

Most of the cheaper heli's have lots of slop and still fly great. Look at the Shuttle - it invented the sloppy heli, but it flies real well with all that slop.

I like something that works well, flies well and is reliable. When I think of ships like the Kalt Enforcer, Concept and few others that don't fly too well, who cares if they have tighter linkages or a better manual.
[/QUOTE]

i didn't mention any of those being better, but if you have nothing else to compare it to...

We have many Rappies at our fields. They don't fall apart (except the boom supports) and fly out of the box with no upgrades.
[/QUOTE]

boom support is no upgrade?

I would like to see a Sceadu, it looks nice, but we have none at our fields. The JR Venture so far looks good, but we have only 1 guy flying one.

Gary
[/QUOTE]

like i said, if all you see is a crappy, than it sure looks like a good heli...

AGAIN, the craptor is a ok heli to start out with, but for a few bucks more you just get a better and more reliable heli. AGAIN, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION AND PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME, BUT THERE IS BETTER HELIS OUT THERE FORE NOT MUCH MORE MONEY...

thank you

and happy flying to you all...
Old 06-09-2002, 11:22 AM
gquiring

Originally posted by flmgrip
i didn't mention any of those being better, but if you have nothing else to compare it to...
I have or had plenty to compare to: Du-Bro TriStar, Kavan Bell Ranger, American Revolution, Schluter Heli-Baby, Heli-Boy, Heli-Star, Mini-Baby, Superior, Champion, Scout 60, Junior 50, & Magic. Also Shuttle, Kalt Baron & Enforcer, Heim, Concept 30 & 60, X-Cell 40 & 60.

I have setup many heli's for people over the years so I have plenty to compare to. There is always something better and it comes at a cost $$$$. The Raptor in my opionion is the best heli out there for what you spend. I do not like taking a 2nd mortgage out if I plaster my bird into the ground. Go smack a Vigor or a Fury in and see the dollars add up.

The other funny thing is guys that spend a ton on a bird, they are too chicken to fly them. They always go back to their Raptors or Shuttles to just have fun.

My feeling is this, the expensive heli's look real nice and are impressive, but they don't fly any better. So why spend the bucks? But if you have money to burn, I guess some don't care.

JR Venture is looking real good. It could be a good alternative to a Raptor. But if a Raptor is falling apart, it's a building/setup issue, not the heli.

Gary
Old 06-09-2002, 12:22 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary,

I would be quite interested in hearing your views on why the Concept 30 "doesn't fly so well"...

Steve
Old 06-09-2002, 07:29 PM
flmgrip

Originally posted by gquiring
I have or had plenty to compare to: Du-Bro TriStar, Kavan Bell Ranger, American Revolution, Schluter Heli-Baby, Heli-Boy, Heli-Star, Mini-Baby, Superior, Champion, Scout 60, Junior 50, & Magic. Also Shuttle, Kalt Baron & Enforcer, Heim, Concept 30 & 60, X-Cell 40 & 60.
good so you know what i am talking about...

The Raptor in my opinion is the best heli out there for what you spend.
yeah, because it is the cheapest one, but spend a FEW bucks more and you get a better heli...

I do not like taking a 2nd mortgage out if I plaster my bird into the ground. Go smack a Vigor or a Fury in and see the dollars add up.

yeah, you are right about that, but what i find is that in most crashes the blades are the most expensive part of the repair, but with crashing once or twice a year i can live with that...

The other funny thing is guys that spend a ton on a bird, they are too chicken to fly them. They always go back to their Raptors or Shuttles to just have fun.

yes i notice that, it does happen with some guys, i though fly my crappy the same way i fly my fury... but that is just me and doesn't mean anything...

My feeling is this, the expensive heli's look real nice and are impressive, but they don't fly any better.

i don't agree, the fury DOES fly better than the craptor, but that is all so "personal" and really just depends on whom you are talking to...

But if a Raptor is falling apart, it's a building/setup issue, not the heli.

Gary

i don't agree...
Old 06-09-2002, 10:37 PM
gquiring

Originally posted by Steve Campbell
Gary,

I would be quite interested in hearing your views on why the Concept 30 "doesn't fly so well"...

Steve
Dual flapping head for one makes it not fly very well on windy days. It hovers ok, but I was never impressed with it's forward flight/aerobatic characteristics.

Steve do think it flies better than a Shuttle or Raptor? Just curious, I would love to see/fly a Caliper 30 though. Our field is infested with lots of Rappies. We are just thrilled with the reliability and flying of these ships.

Gary
Old 06-10-2002, 04:09 AM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Default Rappy.

I really don't think the rappy problems are problems at all. The start up shakes are more of a phenominon than a problem. The wah-wahs are more annoying than a problem (if you even have them). The woof and poof is only a woof and easily fixable with a 0 delta mod. The boom supports seem to be the only real problem with them... and that's not much of a problem! If you cannot stand having the slight possability of having a woof-woof attack and can't stand putting in a little extra time into doing the 0 delta mod than just call the raptor junk and buy a place favorite helicopter brand here<X>>>.

The only problem I see with them is that almost everyone has them and if you like to be original than you got a REAL problem on your hand. ) While I'm not an expert I'm sure that a bad place favorite helicopter brand here<X>>> is just as likely to come off the line just as bad raptor is.

My raptor sure beats my concept 30 into the ground. My rappy hangs over my bed while my concept 30 is stuffed under my bed for use as miscellanious parts (links, linkages, bolts, ect.) and is very close to the trash can. I can't belive I actually thought about fixing it up!!! ACK!!!
Old 06-10-2002, 11:03 AM
Steve Campbell2

I flew a Caliber 30 yesterday. Very nice and smooth. It was quite windy, but the machine handled it well. It is bigger than I envisioned, but still light. No more than six pounds, I'd say.

I've flown several versions of the Shuttle, owned and flown a Raptor, and had a half dozen Concepts. The Concept is still my favorite. This Caliber seems to be just as smooth, but it is physically larger than the Concept. No big deal, just an observation. Plus, there is alledgely a new canopy coming out, which the machine desperately needs. Not only is the current one just plain hideous, you cannot get to anything with it on.

Guys who are seriously into 3D tell me that the DDF head on the Concept is, like you say, inferior to a solid-axle head for 3D-type flying. I couldn't say; but I like the way the Concept flies overall. Still, the solid-axle head on the Caliber was quite impressive yesterday. The ship felt very stable while I was yanking and banking it around in that wind; admittedly better than a Concept probably would. The Caliber did have Hirobo paddles on it, though. The owner said it was squirrelly with the kit paddles.

Steve
Old 06-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Hughes500Pilot

Get a Raptor. It is a great first heli and will take you all the way through basic 3D. You can use an inexpensive 30 size motor and it will give you plenty of power. Parts are cheap and easy to get. The heli has no major flaws (the early ones did, but those issues have been addressed).

As for the LMH, let me begin by saying I own one and I love it. However, it is not a good first heli. The reasons for this is because it cost just as much as a 30 size heli to have it flight ready. You must use mini servos (three times the cost of standard 30 size servos). It uses a special motor. The "included gyro" is a joke - you most remove it and install a real gyro (and since this is a mini heli, you will need a mini gyro). In a crash, the heli holds up very well over all... Except for the servos, you will be stripping lots of gears. You will have a bunch of boom striks since the main rotor is so close to the tail boom. If you break the WOOD main frame, you need to disassemble the whole heli to replace it. You will also have to glue it, fuel proof it and paint it every time. Lastly, it is fixed pitch. This makes it much harder to learn to fly since you must stay 3 steps ahead of the heli. However, if you can fly the LMH - you can fly anything...

-Steve