RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hanger-9 Corsair ARF Mods for more Scale/ Accurate Appearance
Old 09-29-2004, 08:12 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Hanger-9 Corsair ARF Mods for more Scale/ Accurate Appearance

Sorry for the hugh delay in getting back to this topic. I have the modified Hanger 9 Cosair project nearly completed and ready for paint. I was in such a hurry to get it done that I didn't take the time to post updates. I did take pictures along the way tho, and will post them along with dialogue within the next few months.
In the mean time, I recently purchased a RTF H9 Corsair thru an RCUnverse ad. It came with Saito .91 & 3 blade M.A. 14 x 7 already installed (and broken in) and all necessary radio gear. All I had to do was install my ch. 42 rx x'tal into the Futaba 127DF and it was ready to go. I did take the time tho, to modify the retracts by installing heavy duty ball links. I also removed the wheel wells and painted the exposed balsa Corsair Blue.
It also came equipped with a Dubro remote glow plug recept and fuel filler. As such, it weighed 130.5 oz. By substituting nylon wing attachment bolts for the standard, metal allen screws, I was able to get the weight down to less than 130 oz. (8 lbs., 2 oz.)
This new Corsair will povide me with a comparison fo my modified Hanger 9 Cosair.
I brought the new one home on Saturday and was flying it Monday. The engine/ prop combination proved to be more than adequate for me, and I can't see why everyone thinks you need the Saito 1.00 for this plane. It only adds more weight and protrudes out of the cowl more.
I got in 2 flights, then had to get ready for work. I flew it from a softball field. Well mowed, but not the smoothest. Unlike the Hanger 9 Mustangs which I have seen ( and flown), there was very little tendency to nose over during landing rollouts and taxiing. All in all, I was very pleased with the flight performance. The landing gear tho, is still very suspect. Altho I took out all the slop ( by tightening set screws), there was slop again after the 2 landings. I want to retain the mechanical retracts on this one, but don't want to invest a lot of money doing so. Next up: I will be installing RoboStruts on the wire struts, and lighter but larger Dave Brown wheels.
As for my highly modified Hanger 9 Corsair: I have decided to install a Royal cockpit kit along with a Luke's instrument panel. Also, I WILL be making the flaps functional.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47186.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	177911